MarioKart 64 & Wiimote turning off

Chairboy

WiiChat Member
Dec 31, 2006
I've searched the forums and haven't found a match, so apologies if this is a repost.

I just got a 4th Wiimote & Classic controller and went to try it out in MarioKart 64. The new WiiMote was controller #1, and when I started the game, I got the 'You need the classic controller' + 'Plug the controller into the P1 controller' message. Puzzled, I re-synced the controllers so another Wiimote was #1 and it started fine, but the new Wiimote turned off as the game was starting and wouldn't turn back on. Also, player 4 didn't get any motion on his controller either (the new WiiMote was #3). It's almost as if its failure was serial in nature and interfered w/ #4.

When we leave MarioKart 64, it fires up just fine. We did a power-down reset, no change.

I'd be thinking it was a hardware defect, but it works fine in Super Smash Brothers Brawl, so I'm on the fence.

Any thoughs/ideas?

Ok, quick followup.... it just failed the same way on 'Carnival'. So it works in SSB-Brawl but fails in two others. Crazy!

This is a Wiimote and Virtual Console games, not GameCube games, but thanks.

The Wii remote should not shut off for VC games, but I have never had this trouble. However, I have had difficulty with getting the classic controllers + GC controllers to work together with Mario Kart 64. Be sure that if you have GC controllers, they are plugged into ports 2, 3, or 4, leaving 1 open for the Wii mote to communicate.

You are using classic controllers for all four wiimotes, correct?

Last edited:
Correct, classic controllers on all 4 controllers. And the new one still works fine in SSB, just not in VC games or 'Carnival'. No GC controllers attached.

I have never registered 4 wiimotes to my wii so I haven't ran into this problem with one controller shutting off - I haven't seen anyone on other forums having troubles with this. I would try using a different wiimote in place of the newly purchased one. the bluetooth unit of the Wii can connect 7 devices, but I am not sure if that applies to how many can be registered, just not used. remove the battery from the new mote, and cut the power off going into the wii (unplug) and plug back in. if the other three controllers need to re-sync, press the red button in front door of wii and then press red button on wii. do the same for the new one after putting battery back in. this should clear up any bluetooth connections no longer in use, it may have picked up a few devices in the immediate area, who knows. you should just have these four controllers connected. if this doesn't work, I would contact Nintendo Customer Support, if you have the receipt. They may tell you the same thing.

Back