Marriage Overrated?

I think it's over rated. If two people are meant to be together they don't need a contract to hold them together.

It's not a contract that you have to hold. It's one you want to.

Marriage doesn't look like another hassle when you're in the relationship that warrants it.

It's not a contract that you have to hold. It's one you want to.

Marriage doesn't look like another hassle when you're in the relationship that warrants it.

I guess that means I am married to verizon. I signed a contract and they screw me everytime.

^ Just put "Good Post", "Well said", blah blah blah, don't need that system..

I personally am not all that bothered by marriage, I don't find it necessary in the least bit for two people to live the rest of their lives together in complete happiness. Though I do agree that it does offer a boost in the relationship for those that get married for each other & love. My fiance and I are looking to get married the Fall of this year, and she's been wanting it since I proposed to her. I love her to death, and she wants to be married so she can spend the rest of her life with me no matter what.. guess I'll find out if it's really overrated or not for myself soon.

rukus said:
studies have shown that a couple who have married most likely.

... Ahaha, "Studies have shown". Yes, exactly.

... Ahaha, "Studies have shown". Yes, exactly.
umm could you clarify this?

what i stated is also supported by Rutgers Uni, UCLA, OSt. and others.

umm could you clarify this?

what i stated is also supported by Rutgers Uni, UCLA, OSt. and others.

.. and you actually believe this, because of that?

I'll give you an example.

I can perform a study of 2 different families to form the conclusion that marriage makes lives better.

Family 1: Is married, has children, and owns a dog.

Family 2: Is not married, has children, and owns a dog.

Based on extensive observation, and the witnessing of Family 1 staying in better shape than Family 2 over a long period of time.. I come to the conclusion that marriage does indeed make lives better, and then present the ridiculous claim that any family of a married couple will live better lives than families of non-married couples (based on this study of only Two Families).

In the end this would be horribly incorrect. As a lot of surveys usually are. I'm also not surprised to find any customer reviews on that book..

To quote again..

rukus said:

Have you not noticed the large amount of lousy marriages that have existed for decades and to this very day, that have also shown a lack of improvement in families, years after the wedding ceremony has taken place?

you're right about your study, it is innacurrate, but the studies im speaking of were broad and based over many many years, and included many many people.

does a review on a book make it innacurrate? does it also mean that studies done by universities are wrong? University of Chicago (about as liberal as they come) came to the same conclusions, that on the majority of cases, people turn out better coming from a stable home.

Have you not noticed the large amount of lousy marriages that have existed for decades and to this very day, that have also shown a lack of improvement in families, years after the wedding ceremony has taken place?

How is that marriage's fault? That's on society.

It's just a slippery slope. First people don't fully understand their motivations for marriage, and they do it anyway. It ends up going wrong and then people view THOSE people as proof that marriage is useless.

Basically, your two-family "study" doesn't work, because you're not getting to the root of the matter.

bingo. some of those same studies showed that in communities where marriage was common, there was a lower instance of crime.

i'm late into the conversation and if what i am about to ask has already been asked please correct me because i'm really sick and i don't wanna read to much right now.

thanks.

i think first we should establish what marriage really is because people can make it overrated for the idea.
sorry if that doesn't make sense.

My view of marriage is moving in together with someone you love just to find out the many flaws the person actually has....

I don't remember saying nor implying it was marriage's fault.

It's just a slippery slope. First people don't fully understand their motivations for marriage, and they do it anyway. It ends up going wrong and then people view THOSE people as proof that marriage is useless.

Basically, your two-family "study" doesn't work, because you're not getting to the root of the matter.

I know that. It was a simple example, based on how a lot of studies are done with poor observation, evidence, and conclusions. Not to say all studies are bad, but the way rukus presented that study, he made it seem like he'd believe any study just because it was supported by those of high reputation.

Plus this quote doesn't sit right with me, since it looks like it's including all couples who have married.

This thread is really doing alright! People should at least wait for a while before they wed, if not, problems will occur

...Hence the most likely bit?

This thread is really doing alright! People should at least wait for a while before they wed, if not, problems will occur

What are you basing that on? What do you consider a "while"? The wedding age average has been going up, as well as the divorce rate, so clearly not waiting long enough isn't the problem.

Back