Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Maybe I don't understand WPA? Help please

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Online' started by atek99, Mar 5, 2007.

1. atek99

atek99 WiiChat Member

Hi all, first post. I apologize if this has come up before, but I can't find links to exactly my problem:
    I have NO problem connecting the Wii to the internet if I use WEP security. If I try any form of WPA, however, I can't connect. I can set up my router (Trendnet 452BRP) for WPA and my laptop and PSP for WPA and they work fine, but Wii; no dice. Again, with everything set to WEP, everything connects; with WPA, everything BUT the Wii connects. I noticed that the router, laptop, and PSP ask for a passphrase with WPA, while the Wii seems to require a key, so I tried those sites that convert a phrase to a WPA key but that didn't work. I even tried simple 8 digit letters and numbers for WPA but still no Wii connectiion. Am I missing something? Or is it possible the Wii just doesn't like my router for WPA? Any help would be appreciated as I would like the better security of WPA over WEP.

2. domkstaa

domkstaa WiiChat Member

WPA TKIP or AES? I had problems with TKIP as well. Did you tried AES? The passphrase should match whatever you enter into the router.

3. atek99

atek99 WiiChat Member

I believe I did domkstaa, but I will try again with all the different WPA and WPA2 combinations in both my router and the Wii and will post if any luck. Thanks for the reply.
    Regards, atek99

4. atek99

atek99 WiiChat Member

WPA problem solved?

OK, this is how I managed to get it working. Set passcode in Wii (and PSP as well) under the WPA-AES headings, but in the router itself, as well as in my laptop's wireless card, had to set up under the WPA2-AES type? It all works, but not if I program the passcode under the Wii's WPA2 heading, only under its WPA? Both must work in a similar manner.
    Thanks domkstaa for pointing me towards AES instead of TKIP

5. domkstaa

domkstaa WiiChat Member

Cool, glad you got it to work.

6. GreenEnvy

GreenEnvy WiiChat Member

Weird, I'm using WPA-TKIP fine.