Me and my Wii - Another sad history

rqk

WiiChat Member
Oct 11, 2007
Hi all,

Well, I have just registered, but I've watched this site several times, maybe that's why I though I should tell this weird history here. My wife gave me a Wii, when we was enjoy our holliday on Jakarta (capital city of Indonesia), unfortunatelly she bought the japanese version (was cheaper), we came back into the hotel and plugged it, works amazingly, came back from the hollidays and just turned it on again, works amazingly, played during days.

Suddenly, a power cut happened and the power supply just burned out, since I am living in a place that doesn't have any kind of Nintendo support was hard to buy a new adapter, so I just made a new one (based on the same specs of the old one). Works again. Great! Back to play, finished playing Zelda, and then the fever of playing daily stopped, give it a break and a few days passed by. Later, tried to play again, didn't read the discs anymore, it tried to read and then show the black screen.

I don't know what to do. Any hints? Or maybe it's just gone? I have given up already, but asking it's not gonna hurt, right?

Cheers, and hope that somebody can give a light on it.
Rod

Oh boy, this sounds bad. First your going to need to get your original power adapter. Somehow learn Japanese and call the Nintendo Japanese support line. Do not tell them that you fried it, definitely don't tell them that you made your own power supply. Just tell them that you plugged it in and it stopped working. Keep it short and sweet, and act like you know nothing about electronics.

I hope for the best!

PS- I remember back in highschool our geography class picked fantasy vacation places, we had to arrange our economical finances and plan our trips by time. We had to find motels and find out what we were going to do when we got to our destination. I picked Jakarta, I remember it being a cool place...from looking at pictures. I can't really remember what I did there though, wish I could.

-Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks man, I will try to do that, but I don't think it's gone, because it just loads up normally, the only problem is when I tried to load up a disk.

Do you think it is something that I could try before going to call Nintendo about it?

Welcome and you should definitely give them a call. You can also buy a adapter from the offical nintendo.com site. Its located under products/shops/thingy. lol..if you cant find it..type in google Nintendo Store.

Ouch, it hurts. Nothing more frustrating than having a new toy that doesn't work. You'll be in my prayers:aureola:

Does the Wii boot up? If it does, the PSU is working then.

If the PSU is work, then it sounds like the lazer diode is gone, which is bad :( I am assuming you have tried all the obvious like cleaning the disc ..

Thanks guys for the support.

dchao said:
Does the Wii boot up? If it does, the PSU is working then.

If the PSU is work, then it sounds like the lazer diode is gone, which is bad :( I am assuming you have tried all the obvious like cleaning the disc ..

Yeah, it just boot up ok, I setup my wireless connection and I can get updates from Nintendo the only thing that's not working is the disk reader, it tries to read and then go to the black screen, any of my disks work, I don't know if adds something up but I was playing wii sports and Zelda and didn't get any problem, when I tried to load up the Call of Duty 3 is when all this trouble started.

Any ideas? Maybe the game just bricked my wii?

Cheers,
Rod

dchao said:
are they bootleg games? I know Indonesia and Malaysia are famous for bootleg stuff.

Well, I bought it in a shopping mall, doesn't look that anything had been touched, but open it and found a chip under the motherboard. :sick:

Now, just realised that all the games are just copies of the originals.

Last edited:
rqk said:
Well, I bought it in a shopping mall, doesn't look that anything had been touched, but open it and found a chip under the motherboard. :sick:

Now, just realised that all the games are just copies of the originals.
Well, your warranty may be void however I would see what it would cost to have it serviced. Call Nintendo, they may still work about a deal to where you don't have to replace it (with a new one), and just have the drive repaired for less than a new console.

Ouch that sucks, buying a modded console when you had no idea :/ Hope everything turns out well for you.

In South East Asia, a lot of Wii's are sold with the mod chip pre-installed to let you play bootleg games. WiiKey being the most popular over there, since it's very easy to mod.

Do a search on Google for "WiiKey" and "Call of Duty", there are quite a few guys with the same problem. I think they have found a solution already. I hope that helps.

Maybe give a legit game a try, its possible the chip doesn't work anymore and thus your old games won't play.

Back