Megastrike blocking advantage on smaller screens

COLDshiver

Wii Owner
Sep 14, 2006
America
Wii Online Code
4532-8683-6668-7765
I recently brought my Wii to a friend's house and played some MSC and noticed something. I normally play on a 52 inch plasma and have some difficulty blocking 'green' megastrikes and almost impossible to block 'orange' ones because the screen is big and the balls aren't that big. But recently, I played on my friend's 22 inch CRT and I was amazed that MSC didn't keep the ball to screen size ratio. The ball size is the same as on my tv but the space where the ball can appear is much smaller, which means it became much easier. So now I can see how some people say they can block megastrikes in their sleep while i found it much harder. I personally think that Nintendo should fix this and set a ball size to screen size ratio. Discuss

EDIT:
It seems that some people don't really understand what i'm really trying to say. So i made a visual for those who don't know what i mean:

mscballscalinglp1.jpg

The black circle is the ball and the red is the tv screen size

Last edited:
Yup very true.
On small screens you can block all of them "easily" by just moving youre wrist.

On big screens you will need to actually point the wiimote @ screen ( wrist lifted from "sitting position"

On the other hand: Smaller screens got a disadvantage when playing. They can see less of the field ( Or is that only with wide-screen)

The Wii (or any other system for that matter) has absolutely no idea how large your TV is.

The only thing it does know is if it's widescreen or not (and you have to tell it that).

I play on a 52" tv. I can save 3 to 5 orange. But 6 I always let in 1

I play on a 52" tv. I can save most of them but on a 6 orange I let in 1 to 5 :O

Skippy said:
The Wii (or any other system for that matter) has absolutely no idea how large your TV is.

The only thing it does know is if it's widescreen or not (and you have to tell it that).

It does not matter how large your tv is, it's all scaled (but not in this case). If you take a picture and make it bigger or smaller, everything in it will scale accordingly. If you force a fullscreen picture into a widescreen, the picture will be stretched. So the ball should have been scaled according to the screen size.

----------------

@ilikecookies: By now on your 942nd post you should know where the edit button is...

Last edited:
Wow, thats something new that I have learned today. :lol:
But yeah, I thought that the ball size would decrease with the screen size, but I guess thats not the case. Nice spot.

Blocking megas is like stealing candy from a baby on my 17". Yay small TVs are cool now!!!!!!

I miss a few sometimes since my 'motes a bit buggy.

I have got a modest 28" screen and find it easy! Didn't even realise there was a difference! I agree... small screen are now officially cool!!

I guess it's life, lol. Those who have small screens will be megastrike safe from those who have big screens

That is pretty cheap, becuase the megastrike is a huge part of the game. I have a rather large TV too, and I only miss 1 if all in green, but I find orange really hard.

Seriously guys, the Wii has no idea how big your TV is or if it's even connected to the TV in the first place...

Skippy said:
Seriously guys, the Wii has no idea how big your TV is or if it's even connected to the TV in the first place...

Which is why the ball should scale according to the tv. For example, if you have a 10 inch screen and you are pikachu in SSB, pikachu will appear really small since it's a 10 inch screen. If you play SSB on a 60 inch screen, pikachu will be much bigger because the screen is bigger. But this is not the case in MSC. If it were MSC, Pikachu would be the same size on the 10 inch screen and on the 60 inch screen, meaning pikachu would take up like a quarter of the whole screen while the stage in the background scaled correctly.

COLDshiver said:
Which is why the ball should scale according to the tv. For example, if you have a 10 inch screen and you are pikachu in SSB, pikachu will appear really small since it's a 10 inch screen. If you play SSB on a 60 inch screen, pikachu will be much bigger because the screen is bigger. But this is not the case in MSC. If it were MSC, Pikachu would be the same size on the 10 inch screen and on the 60 inch screen, meaning pikachu would take up like a quarter of the whole screen while the stage in the background scaled correctly.

In that case Nintendo has invented an amazing revolutionary new technology that can get INPUT from and OUTPUT ONLY video jack.

The only thing the Wii knows about your TV is if it's widescreen or regular. And it only knows that because you tell it. It can't detect that by itself, you can tell it the wrong thing and it has no idea. It can't detect the physical size of your screen either.

You're point is correct, but the pictures are not a proper representation. The ball is the same ratio to the screen size as with the larger screen, it doesn't stay the same size.

BUT, it is true that on a smaller TV you can move the pointer slightly more easily but that also depends on your sensitivity.

Back