memory cards and hard drives

psychopomp

WiiChat Member
Jan 20, 2010
Greetings all.

If this has been asked before, I apologize, my searching didn't come up with anything.

Is it possible to transfer downloaded games, Guitar Hero/Rock Band songs, channels, etc. to a memory card and then to a computer's hard drive for storage, and then back to a memory card and to the Wii?

I ask because I'm interested in downloading some songs for Beatles Rock Band and Guitar Hero 5 and I don't want to have to deal with a handful of memory cards and would like to store extra files on one of my hard drives for safe keeping.

I'm hesitant to try it without knowing for sure that I won't lose anything in the process.

Thanks.

I am not sure that you are able to download games unless there are free demos around.
You can store your own games and other files on a USB attached hard drive.
Have a look for WBFS on the internet.
make sure USB hard drive has two partitions, the first must be WBFS format and the second FAT32.
No need to use an SD card at all, everything can be played from the hard drive.

I am not sure that you are able to download games unless there are free demos around.

Virtual Console, WiiWare, and like he said, downloaded songs for Guitar Hero

You can store your own games and other files on a USB attached hard drive.
Have a look for WBFS on the internet.
make sure USB hard drive has two partitions, the first must be WBFS format and the second FAT32.
No need to use an SD card at all, everything can be played from the hard drive.

That's not supported or authorized by Nintendo.

I appreciate that it is not authorised or supported but I wouldn't have thought that it is illegal surely? You wouldn't be opening the box or anything ?
Maybe I misunderstood in some way. I was thinking that it is like connecting and external USB device to my laptop. It would not be supported by Acer, but if it works, does it matter ?

It's not quite the same situation as hooking an external drive to a laptop. The Wii is a locked down system that can only work with device types that Nintendo specifically lets work (like USB keyboards). Software for the Wii must be licensed by Nintendo. For the external hard drive to work, it requires circumventing Nintendo's design limitations and installing software that's not licensed by Nintendo.

Strictly speaking, it's probably not illegal, although it may violate the DMCA. But even if it is, Nintendo's not going to go after you. However, future Wii software updates may break that functionality.

Ok thanks Skippy.

As I have updated to 4.2e using Nintendo, and I can still read and write to my USB disk, I didn't see that there would be a problem in letting other people know. I haven't had to unscrew the box, just put drivers on the SD card so I can't see how it could break any warrenty either - probably best to retain the original SD card though I guess, even though I haven't.
My Wii is converted to a full media player as well is internet radio etc.
Maybe others will decide that it is too risky to try, or go for it and basically have a games playing media player making full use of the Wii.

We are actually discussing using a hard drive attached to a USB port, not a flash device.
Have you tried a search on here and alos look through the FAQs ?
After that probably best to create a new thread as your request is out of context with this one and your new thread will be spotted easily if you give it a resonable accurate title (e.g. how do I partition a usb flash drive).
If you google it, I just did, you;ll get the answer - google gave me over 1 million responses !
Not sure why you would want to partition one though and you'd best check to see if the Wii can read one of that capacity. I think you wil find that it is 2GB so whether making a partition of 2GB on a 32Gb card will work I don;t know. I'd stick to using a 2gb or at least you could experiment !

We are actually discussing using a hard drive attached to a USB port, not a flash device.

Actually, we're not. At least I wasn't when I posted the original message. The original question had nothing to do with USB drives, but everything to do with storing Wii data on a hard drive in my tower to be transfered via memory card back and forth from the HDD to the Wii and back for safe keeping.

The answer is, yes it can be done. I went ahead and tried it out and it does work. So now I don't need to worry with a dozen memory cards and can use what is virtually unlimited space (at least when it comes to Wii data) on my computer to store things.

Yes you are right but I wasn't referring to your original post , just the previous one to mine that was asking about 32GB flash drives. SO I was suggesting that the poster looked elsewhere. Everywhere I have read suggests 2GB max and formatting might work if he is happy to use 2gb of 32gb but 2gb are so cheap anyway. I think he should look for the solution you have, storing on external drive and transferring back and forth to SD, although I don;t bother with the SD anymore and just use my USB hard drive.

my wii memory is full, my sd card is completely full of downloaded rock band songs. i want more downloadable songs. i guess this means i have to buy another sd card and will never be able to play all rock band dlc on quickplay, have to keep changing sd cards for newer dlc? and also, rock band 2 was made before the sdhz or whatever it is card, so that is incompatible. is this all correct? because if it is, i am very unhappy

Question please...Is there a limitation to the size of external USB drive that can be attached to my Nintendo Wii box? I'm looking at a WD Elements 500GB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive...this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136466

My objective is to download any and all Guitar Hero/Band Hero songs; I have the latest firmware updated on my Wii box.

Thanks for any advice!!
AK

Question please...Is there a limitation to the size of external USB drive that can be attached to my Nintendo Wii box? I'm looking at a WD Elements 500GB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive...this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136466

My objective is to download any and all Guitar Hero/Band Hero songs; I have the latest firmware updated on my Wii box.

Thanks for any advice!!
AK

Start a new post next time as attaching to a year old one may cause others to overlook it.

The Wii does not support external hard drives. SD/SDHC only.

Start a new post next time as attaching to a year old one may cause others to overlook it.

The Wii does not support external hard drives. SD/SDHC only.

Wilco...Didn't even think about the age of the post. Well DRAT! I was hoping to sling that 500 GB drive on there.

Back