Memory

WiiWidget

WiiChat Member
Dec 6, 2006
I am not a gamer really and have not had a system of my own since Super Nintendo. My husband has had Playstations 1-3.

But I do have the Wii now as it looked super cool but I am really confused on some things.

The first being memory.

My sister had a Gamecube and if you wanted to save game data, you had to do it to a memory card. We used to play Animal Crossing and save our games to our own cards.

Does the Wii need a memory card to save data? I saw some being sold but do you have to buy them to save game data or can I save my data right to the console?

I thought I read something about them only being needed for pictures?

Or if I want to save my games, do I need a card?

And if so, what kind? If it is an SD card, does it have to be Nintendo brand?

Thanks so much!

Oh and P.S. When will generic/store-brand accessories come out for the wii?

You do not need a memory card to save data for the Wii...it has built in memory of 512mb, so unless you do a lot of saving you shouldn't run out.

But you can purchase a SD card and you can use that as well to save games and virtual console games.

You can probably practically buy any SD brand and it should work, try looking on newegg.com and find a nice cheap one.

Vertiginous said:
You do not need a memory card to save data for the Wii...it has built in memory of 512mb, so unless you do a lot of saving you shouldn't run out.

But you can purchase a SD card and you can use that as well to save games and virtual console games.

You can probably practically buy any SD brand and it should work, try looking on newegg.com and find a nice cheap one.

That is awesome!! I am so glad it has built in memory!!

Thank you Vert for your useful and friendly reply! I really appreciate it! :yesnod:

Post up your Wii online code and user name so we can add you to our Wiis.

jlspec said:
Post up your Wii online code and user name so we can add you to our Wiis.

how do I do this?

Do I need to register my Wii on the Nintendo site?

Its recommended you do, but its not required for online play or friend code exchanges.

Registering extends your warranty by 90 days, I recommend it.

Back