Metroid Prime 3 revolutionary?

guitarguy9

WiiChat Member
May 20, 2007
We're all focusing a ton of Galaxy and SSBB, but i think Metroid Prime 3: Corruption could be the most important game of them all. I've never been a fan of shooting games myself, but this..is different. I just couldn't get into Bond games, the controls were too unreal, you know? They just never felt like they fit before, i didn't feel like i was actually shooting. The Wii changes all this though. A shooter isn't a shooter to me unless you actually feel like you're holding the gun, and that's what makes the Wii so much better than the competition. Don't get me wrong, Galaxy and SSBB will be fun, but they won't change the industry. If Corruption is put together correctly, it could prove that graphics aren't everything, that Halo 3 doesn't even compare becuase, as fun as it is, you're still using a clunky controller. I really feel that Corruption could show that the Wii is more than a fun fad, that it really has worth to "serious" gamers. I've never been a FPS fan, but this has changed my whole outlook. Thoughts?

I like metroid prime games cause they are hard but cool and what you said it is true but i think metroid cant compare to halo or ssbb cause they are really better than metroid.

juan003 said:
I like metroid prime games cause they are hard but cool and what you said it is true but i think metroid cant compare to halo or ssbb cause they are really better than metroid.
Is it really that Metroid cannot fundamentally compare with the two, or is it the hype surround each of the titles? Everyone is bigging both Halo 3 and SSMB up to be something which they might possibly be not. Meanwhile, everyone is downplaying the fact that this Metroid title has be given nothing but praise, even in it's demo form. It's also a title which actually utilises the controls brilliantly. Shouldn't one assume that the titles are all going to be great (except Halo 3, I don't like the Halo series), rather than basing opinions on hype and how much each title is talked about?

I'm sure all three will sell well, but we won't see which is best until we play them all.

/rant

Ya, because comparisons to ancient video games are completely relevant.

"A shooter isn't a shooter to me unless you actually feel like you're holding the gun"
"Galaxy and SSBB will be fun, but they won't change the industry"

See the thing is even Time Crisis arcade in 95 and for the PS in 97 (I think) did both of those things. It was the first game to use the "hide behind cover" style of play that even current games use (call of duty). The Namco Guncon1/2 are considered to be the best gun controller for home play ever made.

Last edited:
Alright, so it's a relevant comparison...but i still think Metroid has a chance at greatness. I wasn't a gamer way back in '97, so what i'm wondering is...was Time Crisis actually good? My point is that, if they make a great game, it could be revolutionary just because of the Wiimote. It won't save a shitty game, but it can show 360 and PS3 lovers why the Wii is the real deal.

Ps.. i guess my idea doesn't just work for Corruption. Umbrella Chronicles should be amazing as well, as should many subsequent FPS.

Metroid Prime 3 looks cool, although I am looking forward to Galaxy and brawl more

Metroid Prime 3 will still be awsome, just not as good as Galaxy and Brawl (just my opinion, don't flame)

I might get Metroid Prime 3, just so many other games to get

Written by David Taylor on June 05, 2007
Updated Preview: The wait for this one has been torture… err… I mean “alternative interrogation technique.”

It has been a few months since Gaming Target’s first preview of Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. Curious readers can find that article here. At that time the game was slated for release during the Wii’s launch window. Since then, Nintendo has pushed back the release date to August 20, 2007. The reason for this delay is no doubt to give developer Retro Studios more time to fine-tune the Wii-bound sequel. There were notable control issues during the first playable demos that Retro is undoubtedly addressing. Likewise, there is still a large question as to what, if any, Internet capabilities the game will possess. Fortunately we have not been totally left in the dark for this delay has allowed us to gleam more information about the anticipated sci-fi action title.

More of Corruption’s storyline has been made public. The main story will take place six months after the events of Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. The plot begins when a virus cripples the Galactic Federation’s network computer, Aurora Unit. The Federation suspects the Space Pirates to be responsible. They call on upon various bounty hunters including Metroid heroine Samus Aran to find those culpable. The hunters soon discover that Samus’ nemesis, Dark Samus (created at the end of Metroid Prime), is behind the attack and plans to spread the infamous phazon substance throughout the galaxy.

As previously mentioned, various other hunters will make appearances in the game. These include at least one who appeared in the Nintendo DS’ Metroid Prime: Hunters. These hunters will act as both Samus’ helpers and competition. The one most detailed thus far is named Rundus. He possesses the ability to control ice similarly to the X-Men’s Ice Man. Other hunters such as a large robotic entity and a rock creature have also been revealed in demos and trailers.

In addition to being a main plot element, the phazon substance factors heavily into Corruption’s gameplay. At one point in the game, Samus becomes “corrupted” by the material. This allows the player to go into “hyper” mode. While in this phazon-induced mode, Samus gains unique abilities and can deal out more damage. There is a degree of skill involved in using this mode. The longer Samus spends in it, a corruption meter slowly builds up. If it reaches maximum Samus becomes totally corrupted and dies. However, the bar goes down as Samus utilizes her phazon-enhanced abilities. If the bar goes all the way down and the player runs out of phazon, Samus drops out of hyper-mode. It follows then that skillful players can stay in this mode for a good while through careful balance.

guitarguy9 said:
I wasn't a gamer way back in '97, so what i'm wondering is...was Time Crisis actually good?

Time Crisis is GREAT. I saved my original Guncons so I could play it on my PS2. The PS2 versions were still fun and I considered buying a second TV just to play them (the stupid things don't work with my HDTV). I bet you would play it for hours if you had a copy.

Read this glowing review on IGN (back when they didnt give out nines and tens so easy like today) http://psx.ign.com/articles/152/152126p1.html

Here is a similar one on gamespot
http://www.gamespot.com/ps/action/timecrisis/review.html

ciper said:
"A shooter isn't a shooter to me unless you actually feel like you're holding the gun"
"Galaxy and SSBB will be fun, but they won't change the industry"

See the thing is even Time Crisis arcade in 95 and for the PS2 in 97 (I think) did both of those things. It was the first game to use the "hide behind cover" style of play that even current games use (call of duty). The Namco Guncon1/2 are considered to be the best gun controller for home play ever made.

The PS2 wasn't released till late 2000...

How was it released 3 years before the console came out?

guitarguy9 said:
We're all focusing a ton of Galaxy and SSBB, but i think Metroid Prime 3: Corruption could be the most important game of them all. I've never been a fan of shooting games myself, but this..is different. I just couldn't get into Bond games, the controls were too unreal, you know? They just never felt like they fit before, i didn't feel like i was actually shooting. The Wii changes all this though. A shooter isn't a shooter to me unless you actually feel like you're holding the gun, and that's what makes the Wii so much better than the competition. Don't get me wrong, Galaxy and SSBB will be fun, but they won't change the industry. If Corruption is put together correctly, it could prove that graphics aren't everything, that Halo 3 doesn't even compare becuase, as fun as it is, you're still using a clunky controller. I really feel that Corruption could show that the Wii is more than a fun fad, that it really has worth to "serious" gamers. I've never been a FPS fan, but this has changed my whole outlook. Thoughts?
your wrong. SSBB will change the industry, especially for the Wii

guitarguy9 said:
red steel beat it to the punch?

Back