Metroid Prime 3 VS Halo 3

Halo 3, even though Metroid is better...

They're two different things.

Halo will have their vehicles and whatnot...
And Metroid will have the grapple hooks and ball transforms and whatnot..

Like apples and oranges!

But I'll root for MP3 since I only have the Wii :tard:

I have both a 360 and a Wii, but I'm still rooting for the Wii :lol:

The numbers could actually be competitive at first, but once Halo 3 gets released on Vista there's no way to compete. Even if Wii managed PS2-like success, the Vista + 360 installed user base is impossible to compete with-in terms of sales.

However, Halo 1 player is over-rated. The real Halo experience is all about multiplayer. Whereas MP fans are thrilled with their single player campaigns, and even worried about its possible, eh, corruption by multiplayer focus. That speaks volumes about game quality.

Wiinter said:
The numbers could actually be competitive at first, but once Halo 3 gets released on Vista there's no way to compete. Even if Wii managed PS2-like success, the Vista + 360 installed user base is impossible to compete with-in terms of sales.

However, Halo 1 player is over-rated. The real Halo experience is all about multiplayer. Whereas MP fans are thrilled with their single player campaigns, and even worried about its possible, eh, corruption by multiplayer focus. That speaks volumes about game quality.

it doesn't matter how many people have Vista less than 1/4 of them will buy Halo 3 you keep saying that but your wrong

So Halo lacks in 1-player but Metroid doesn't even have multiplayer

and Halo 3 will probably not get released until Halo 4 comes out which might not be on 360 plus they only count the sales of it on 360

pwned, WiiZero

WiiZero said:
So Halo lacks in 1-player but Metroid doesn't even have multiplayer

iawtc

halo wins on multi player

>beta looks great
>legacy of good multi player
>vehicles

metroid wins on single player

>power ups
>legacy of good single player (which some say halo rips off)
>controls (jumping behind the couch to shoot space pirates :crazy:)

disclaimer: if metroid online multi player exists, and its nothing like MP2, then there could be competition for overall best game)

it doesn't matter how many people have Vista less than 1/4 of them will buy Halo 3 you keep saying that but your wrong

:rolleyes: Vista sales have reached 40 million in 5 months--supposedly a much faster rate of adoption than XP. Sales are expected to speed in 2008 (lots of people prefer to wait for service packs and additional stability, as well as gauge the reaction of early adopters prior to upgrading). 2008 should yield about 250 million more sales on top of 2007's ~100 million. So let's go with Half of your suggested 1/4 (insanely large) figure there. 1/8 * 350 million = 43 million. The longer term you go out, the greater the numbers. By 2010, there could be a billion PCs operating, and it's not insane to figure that Vista will be on about almost half of them by then. Xbox 360 has already sold 10 million+, and can expect another ten million by the end of 2008. Say 3/4 of xbox users get the game, so 20 million * 3/4 = 15 million. 15 mill + 43 mill = 58 million, and we're just talking first quarter 2009 at that point. Compared to what? 3/4 of MP3C adoption on the Wii? PS2 success (100 million consoles in 7 years) for the Wii (still yet to be achieved) by the Q1 2009 would be about 20 million consoles. 20million * 3/4 = 15 million. For the record, 15 million is less than 58 million.

Real figures. If you adjust those percentages to ones that make more sense (say, 1/10 adoption for both on the consoles, and 1/1000 adoption on Vista, it still doesn't spell a long-term sales victory for MP3C--You cannot compete with an installed user base of half a billion, even when most of them aren't gaming rigs. You just bloody can't.). Metroid Prime (widely considered the best gamecube game ever) sold 1.5 million copies on a console whose total sales were around 11 million units and drew less 3rd party competition than we expect on the more popular Wii. At the end of the day, you can realistically expect 3 million (very respectable) copies sold. That's unlikely to compete with the 7-15 million copies (my own estimate based on the supposedly 4 million preorders already in place) Halo could sell.

msnbc said:
SEATTLE - "Halo 2," the much-hyped video game for Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox video game console, had sales of $125 million in just 24 hours on the market, the company said Wednesday.

The figures for the United States and Canada, which represented sales of 2.38 million units, easily exceeded Microsoft's prediction that it would top $100 million in sales.

Halo 2 wasn't even as good as the original, and those figures don't even include the much delayed Vista version. When they port MP3C to Vista, we can have a real sales battle. Till then, there's no hope of a long term sales victory. That doesn't mean MP3C won't be a great game, but pull your head out of the sand.
plus they only count the sales of it on 360

Who's "they"? And what do they have to do with anything?

pwned, WiiZero

True enough, but you probably shouldn't advertise.

going back to that vista comment, i would probably only count the sales on the 360 and wii, not on other platforms.

But al in all Halo 3 will win. Even if it turns out to be crap, EVERY SINGLE xbox owner will purchase it. I cant say the same for MP3.

ottoman said:
going back to that vista comment, i would probably only count the sales on the 360 and wii, not on other platforms.

You're free to use that metric, but one of the reasons I don't is that I don't actually expect the Wii to compete on the same level as the other consoles. I don't anticipate potential 360 users forgoing a 360 purchase in favor of the Wii (though Wii60 combos aren't uncommon).

Instead, I expect the Wii to siphon PC gamers. Why? MP3C testers (internal Nintendo ones) have already started comparing the Wiimote-nunchuck system to the long beloved keyboard-mouse control system that so captures the hardcore FPS portion of gaming. The control system's potential has yet to be completely fleshed out, but the potential is both obvious and great.

PC gamers aren't using the PC for gfx, although there are high end gaming rigs for people like that, subsidized consoles like the xbox and ps are both a better gfx value. The cost of replicating the graphical abilities of the consoles on your PC to enjoy games like Halo and Oblivion at their best settings and enjoyable framerates is considerable. Most of the gamers are playing with much more modest rigs (like myself), and although console gaming can be a much more convenient experience (pop it in and play as opposed to installs and conflicts and bugs and updates and min reqs, et al), how do you really play Command and Conquer with the traditional console control system? How can you reach the level of accuracy on FPS on the normal console control that you can with a keyboard-mouse (or N52 speedpad, or 3D joystick etc) combo?

The Wii can change all that, and still deliver graphical excellence (not HD, and not next gen, but not crap either).

I'm not disagreeing with you vehemently, I just see the Wii bringing in new console owners rather than competing just in the console market.

Last edited:
Personally I am really looking foward to metroid, but on a larger scale more people will be looking foward to halo 3 as probably everyone who's got an xbox will get it.

Back