Microsoft to take a stab at "Casual Gamers"

Thor's Hammer

OSG = Old School Gamer
Jun 6, 2007
Pennsylvania
Microsoft to Up Focus on Non-Core Market
Posted on Thursday, June 28th, 2007

Platform holder Microsoft has fired a warning shot at Nintendo this week as it prepares to unleash a full-scale assault on the casual games space.

While Xbox 360 continues to build momentum within the UK enthusiast gamer market, regional vice president of the EMEA home and entertainment division Chris Lewis has told MCV that invading Nintendo’s patch is vital in taking Xbox 360 to the next level.

“Our drive is to appeal to a wider genre with more casual types of gaming,” he said. “Clearly we need to continue toward more casual-based gaming experiences, and more peripheral-based gaming experiences in front of the screen.

"You’re going to hear more about that at E3. For 360 to appeal in the way we want it to and for us to achieve our aspirations, we need to be in the broader space as well as investing in the core element.”

The fresh push into the non-core market is likely to include increased use of Microsoft’s existing camera peripheral, a significantly expanded range of titles designed to appeal to a wider demographic and perhaps even a controller aping the Wii’s highly successful motion-sensing capabilities.

“Nintendo occupies a very specific space and I genuinely think we co-exist with Nintendo very well,” added Lewis. “Having said that, it is interesting for us to continue to work on games and experiences that appeal to a broader demographic base.”

Source: http://www.mcvuk.com/
http://www.xboxaddict.com/news/view.php?News_ID=8302

The last paragraph interests me. They want to co-exist with Nintendo. I've never seen Microsoft want to co-exist with a rival developer. But if it creates more competetion to change and improve gameplay for the better and create higher quality games all around, I say, why not?

dont think the 360 can have the same impact the wii has had on the casual market no matter how many casual games they put out.

maybe i'm wrong on this, but the wii just has too much stake in that area. it took years of research and development to successfully penetrate that market.

i just don't see a few select games here and there breaking microsoft into it.

has viva pinata sold 360s?

along the same lines did loco roco sell psps?

well see though.

Who knows what will happen. It is interesting to see the other consoles strive to reach that market though. There is a huge potential market they hope to reach by stepping into this realm. The better consoles do, the more developers will work on making quality titles for all genres of play.

I agree, I don't think the 360 will impact that demographic like the Wii has, but they can definately work at appealing to them more and more.

meh, as long as it dosent take away from them producing gamer games i could care less how they do in that market

the_flood502 said:
What?

I'm being serious =|
the fact of it was partly funny i gotta admit, just cause of the type of game viva pinata is suppose to appeal to

Sovieto said:
the fact of it was partly funny i gotta admit, just cause of the type of game viva pinata is suppose to appeal to

=|? 'scuse me.

I believe the box says '3+' i'll play on it if i feel like it =P

It appeals to me... and i take offence to the fact that i am being abused because i enjoy a game designed for 3 year-olds

---

Right... i done taking the piss outta myself

I may own the game... but only because it's actually pretty cool and i've only played on it for about an hour :/ ... also it was cheap on ebay ^^

the_flood502 said:
=|? 'scuse me.

I believe the box says '3+' i'll play on it if i feel like it =P

It appeals to me... and i take offence to the fact that i am being abused because i enjoy a game designed for 3 year-olds

---

Right... i done taking the piss outta myself

I may own the game... but only because it's actually pretty cool and i've only played on it for about an hour :/ ... also it was cheap on ebay ^^
lol
i rented it and liked it, but it got a bit to hard for me actually
but it wouldnt be a system seller for me.

Sovieto said:
lol
i rented it and liked it, but it got a bit to hard for me actually
but it wouldnt be a system seller for me.

Gears was my real system seller... but the guy at gamestaion refused to sell it to me :/

stupid laws.

Got it off ebay for £10 cheaper.

I tried Viva and was impressed by graphics, but not really excited about the gameplay itself. I don't want to rake a garden so little worms can move in and do whatever it is pinata's do to procreate. Just me though, people can enjoy whatever they want.

heh

that's a really funny statement from M$.

to get at the "casual" gamer.

ffs, the likes of lost planet and GoW are aimed at the "casual" gamer.

infact, any game that can be completed in less than 8 hours could be
considered a game for a "casual" gamer.

the_flood502 said:
M$?

I honestly can't understand why people put that.

A company has gotta make money. If you owned a company wouldn't you want it to make the most money you could possibly get?

I'm what a person would call a casual gamer...

I would consider 8 hours out of my day about... 5 weeks worth of action... i consider that 'hard-core'

And if you really do spend 8 hours a day playing on a game

A) Do you not have a life (i.e. Job, Friends, School etc)?

B) Do you have a lot of eye problems?

I honestly can't stand playing on a game for more than 2 hours a day max... i think about an hour or so a day (or 2) is enough for most people.

=/

Whatever

people (like me) who have watched M$ monopolise over the years...longer
than you have been in existance mr.flood will fully understand.

where did i say i played 8 hours in a day? i'm lucky if i get 8 hours a week.

1. yes i have a job...for 20 years in fact, and i have lots of friends and a family.

2. no. my eye's are fine (for a 37 year old) but have to wear specs occasionally for my job.

as you (kids) say...whatever

Back