MMORPG Time

Shadowei

WiiChat Member
May 20, 2007
Haven't seen to many threads about MMORPG for the wii, probably for good reason. Its too new. I just had some ideas and im sure tons of other people do to, but I wanted to start a forum for ideas on how to design the best MMORPG. Not saying to go there but have a look at WoW, I don't play any more myself but could you imagine the possibilities if that game was designed so you had a wii controller for a sword, and you got together in groups and headed for a dungeon, with a mage, hunter, rogue, warrior you name it, and you got to use your weapons and what have you with the wii controller. Now right off the bat we have the fact that the wii controller is not perfect, by far its not. I myself have been frustrated more then one time with the fact that it doesn't respond perfectly, but neither do I LOL. The MMORPG would have to be simplified of course, you couldn't have 30 quick slots so that would be a little troublesome right, wrong! Guild Wars does a pretty good job of giving the option to have your favorite 8 slots. Maybe with the wii you only get 4 or something, I don't know but there is ways of doing it for sure. Ex. Mage, you get a staff in one hand(to wield or cast spells with) for targeting, you target whatever is in front of you(scroll through the targets you see, from nearest to farthest with B or something, I don't know) then you cast by moving the controller in a slash movement. Wait your cast time, and bam you cast. Maybe to cycle through your spells you hold A and use the side to side action, I plainly don't know but there is soo many options to make a sweet sweet game like this. Sure you may not get the complexity of WoW, but so what at least you will have an amazing game that rocks and would be worth a fortune. So those of you out there that would like to see a game like this and have idease POST HERE. Lets get some more feedback and ball rolling from game companies to move the MMORPG idea along. Other examples, hunter Bow , how easy would that be target hold A or something and pull back, to alternate arrows, Hold B and cycle through. Warrior too easy left stick shield, right sword, dagger. Power attack clap the shield and sword together to do a shout or something. And finally to wrap this up a little PVP action. Nothing to crazy after all its gonna be frustrating enough out in the world working in a group and having casting errors, wrong spells, or wrong actions caused by the unperfect wii. But on the other hand to be head to head in a battle slamming shield to shield, doing shouts, clanging steal, fists and staffs together. Hitting armor hearing the ting, thats all worth it in the end. Sorry for rambling thanks for reading this far. If this is in the wrong post or forum section please have a moderator relocate or delete. Thnx.

Some interesting ideas. I've always thought a point and click system would work best with thew wii's controller (like all your different attacks would be along the bottom/side of the screen in little boxes, and you click on them with the wii cursor to select.....)

btw paragraphing is your friend:ciappa:

ya i like point and click for the wii but you can do many things with the wii *COUGH* Runescape*COUGH* , Just Kidding

im sure thered be mmorpgs on other consoles, most likley 360 (that have more mature install base and a much more adept online) before any on the wii

i think you have a good idea, you should join nintendo man! but one thing that could prove dificult is latency...i mean im an ex WoW player myself (i actually got a life(no offence meant just a joke ;) ) )and i noticed that the other house mates downloading messed up my latency big time! and im sure having sword actions with the wii controller or what have you would add to the latency, due to all them processes it has to do.

I really would like to see one done though, phantasy star online would be a good one to remake for the wii (if it ent been done already :p )

ta,

Tim

agree point and click would be great but lets not limit ourselves to that. also if you search enought then you will find alotta threads asking for or with ideas for MMORPGs

I'd rather use a PC for MMORPG's simply because the WiiMote isn't going to do anything but make the game harder.

MMORPG's make extensive use of hotkey systems and I think that fact alone makes it hard to play an MMORPG on the Wii. At least until there is a keyboard released; but even then it would be hard for people to use the keyboard because they have their hands strapped into the WiiMote and relatively unfree to use the keyboard properly.

Also, without a keyboard, how would you talk to other people without taking a decade over it with the text input system the Wii currently uses? I can type at over 3-4 words per second when I am going at my best so whenever I am using the Wii I just get annoyed at how slow the ****ing thing is for putting in text!

MMORPG Continues

Good points guys totally over looked the latency actually, mostly because for some reason when I played wow for 8 or so months I rarely had any cuz I lucked out, but your right in most cases a wii remote + latency is gonna be harsh. However there has to be a way to make it work I mean, wow had latency but there hasn't been to many people that give up because of it. I mean I quit when i realized how much time it consumed, but latency was not a big issue for me. Also the hot key issue, there has to be a way to have like 4-8 main spells/abilities at your disposal just by using the buttons and what have you on the wii controllers. Ex. Mage: Hold A and swipe in a circle, that for a mage would produce a fire ball at the nearest enemy, or A and Up down would be the hot key for your wand to produce a lightning bolt. The just being however that for the most part a mage would have some different dmg spells to cast with A plus movement or something right. It can get as complex as you want it too. Next we have a priest UMM interesting so Hold A and stab thats holy dmg or something and the hold B spells are all healing so Hold B it emediately targets closest ally, hit B again it jumps to next closest ally until you find your buddy who is hurt, once targeted stilll holding B you slash and wham healed for 50hp. These are just examples. Also if the latency is going to be a huge issue you can always try to do something along the lines of Guild Wars where every area loads seperately. Thanks for the replys guys hope to here more from you. Chow for now.

...*GASP* CANT...*lung collapses* BREATHE.... *CHOKE* CRUSHED BY....*GASP* SPAM!

But in all seriousness, although it would work well with the wiimote, point and clicks went out a long time ago, and for good reason. however if you are referring to a point and click based system for play, which indeed you are, then that would most cirtaintly be best. With, perhaps, the wiimote keys assignable as macros.

there was a mmorpg called ragnarok a while back. something like this could work for the wii.

and yea man, learn to use the enter key.

Back