Mod Chip

you'd need to send your wii away to people who do it.

You can get tons of different modchips, but many people who make then don't chip your wii for you.

Its illegal in the UK and US. modding is so stupid, it voids your warrenty, and nintendo has recently announced that future firmware updates will ban mod chips and stuff. Its really stupid, no reason. Go play xbox, lotso f geeks play xbox and theycan mod your 360 for you. I suggest you don't mod, its unwelcome, stupid, useless, will shut down your wii, cost crap, and has no use. Your an idiot for modding.

btw online games will not work at all. Say you get SSBB for US(im sure it will be worldwide though.) you won't be able to play online, unless you go to your reigon first.

Wiiownu said:
Its illegal in the UK and US. modding is so stupid, it voids your warrenty, and nintendo has recently announced that future firmware updates will ban mod chips and stuff. Its really stupid, no reason. Go play xbox, lotso f geeks play xbox and theycan mod your 360 for you. I suggest you don't mod, its unwelcome, stupid, useless, will shut down your wii, cost crap, and has no use. Your an idiot for modding.

1) there is a feature in some mod chips which when actived the wii cant do anything to it.
2) it won't "shut your wii down"
3) They have a use - backups, play different region games, homebrew.

And your last post - you will be able to play online games

If i was you - research before typing u n00b.

Retman said:
1) there is a feature in some mod chips which when actived the wii cant do anything to it.
2) it won't "shut your wii down"
3) They have a use - backups, play different region games, homebrew.

And your last post - you will be able to play online games

If i was you - research before typing u n00b.

1.)your right your Wii cannot do anything physically to the mod (see #2)

2.)The firmware can do a check on the system for any mod chip and force a shutdown to the Wii based on a positive result from a BOOT check. Dont think this is possible? There are thousands of virus built on the same premise, it loads in the firmware of a computer (a Wii is just a computer) does a scan of the hard drive for certain information and forwards the info to a malicious person. But this is the other way around, there is code written in the firmware that checks for a voltage drop in a certain part of the system and based on that feedback forces a shutdown, essentially bricking the system. Finally (on this point) look at any Sony PSP room and look at why there are so many firmware updates that do little but improve security. If you want an endless rounds of useless updates that just bloat the firmware into a crappy existence and long load times by all means continue ripping off Nintendo.

3.)Ummm, no I have posted before on this and homebrew doesn't makes sense, since 90% of homebrew out is for the GC. Why not mod a cheaper GC instead of a Wii. You break your GC and its no big deal, you break your Wii and good luck finding another one. Beyond having to wait for a game to be released in your region there is no reason for region free play (and as I have said a worldwide distribution of a game or something for every game would be awsome but unreasonable for ALOT of reasons.) Backups are a BS word for illeagles, jacked, copied games and do not try for one second try to convince me or anyone else that it is different. Also for backups you DO NOT have the right to copy the game. This is a misnomer that people who want a collection of jacked games uses, ignorantly, to justify their usage. Read the license that comes with any game, you do not have the right the copy the game. The digital copyright laws in each nation also states you cannot make a copy of something for which you do not hold the exclusive license too.

Before you call someone out how about doing your own research Life-NOOB.

Last edited:
ciper said:
Luke29: I apologize for some of the others who replied to your thread with a bunch of useless info.

Please look at this post as it contains nearly all of the reputable stores that sell and even install the current popular chips. http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51085

Hmmmm........can't be all that reputable considering they are only hurting their bottom line (no game sales affect them just as much if not more then the developers)......gotta be doing something not so reputable to add to their income......

My addition of info was to state what is obvious (although I need not justify it I will for the sake of argument)....you add one of these mods there is a likely chance with a firmware update you will brick your system. Just because my response was against the idea of a mod-chip doesn't mean it is any less needed. I'll add remember why Nintendo did not want to switch from carts (cartridges) to disc.

lasher702 said:
1.)your right your Wii cannot do anything physically to the mod (see #2)

2.)The firmware can do a check on the system for any mod chip and force a shutdown to the Wii based on a positive result from a BOOT check. Dont think this is possible? There are thousands of virus built on the same premise, it loads in the firmware of a computer (a Wii is just a computer) does a scan of the hard drive for certain information and forwards the info to a malicious person. But this is the other way around, there is code written in the firmware that checks for a voltage drop in a certain part of the system and based on that feedback forces a shutdown, essentially bricking the system. Finally (on this point) look at any Sony PSP room and look at why there are so many firmware updates that do little but improve security. If you want an endless rounds of useless updates that just bloat the firmware into a crappy existence and long load times by all means continue ripping off Nintendo.

3.)Ummm, no I have posted before on this and homebrew doesn't makes sense, since 90% of homebrew out is for the GC. Why not mod a cheaper GC instead of a Wii. You break your GC and its no big deal, you break your Wii and good luck finding another one. Beyond having to wait for a game to be released in your region there is no reason for region free play (and as I have said a worldwide distribution of a game or something for every game would be awsome but unreasonable for ALOT of reasons.) Backups are a BS word for illeagles, jacked, copied games and do not try for one second try to convince me or anyone else that it is different. Also for backups you DO NOT have the right to copy the game. This is a misnomer that people who want a collection of jacked games uses, ignorantly, to justify their usage. Read the license that comes with any game, you do not have the right the copy the game. The digital copyright laws in each nation also states you cannot make a copy of something for which you do not hold the exclusive license too.

Before you call someone out how about doing your own research Life-NOOB.

Most of the people who mod chip their wii's, usually have very little care for the current laws. Almost the equivalent of how underage drinkers care when they are at a party getting wasted for a good portion of their youth. As for the ability to brick wii console's over the chip, I don't know details about the chip itself, but I highly doubt it is going to go away. If in the crazy event that Nintendo bricks a wii, then wouldn't it be worth the $250 to get a new one modded to play your $1000+ game collection you have copied?

For the most part your firmware theory is completely based off crap you pulled out of nowhere. Until it actually happens, you can't say "I told you so".

Guys seriously, have you never owned a console before the Wii? Modding consoles to play games from other regions has existed since at least the 16 bit era (I dont remember if Famicon to NES or SG-1000 to Master System converters existed). I still own a cart to let me play japanese games on my Genesis that I no longer need because a switch soldered to the board does the trick. My point is not to show how 1337 I am but rather that you will never change my mind.

I have my reasons, you have yours now LET IT BE.

We already know that many of you think mod chips are the equivalent to killing babies. Replying to every god damn thread with the same story isn't helping the original poster. If you dont like the idea then DONT REPLY.

luke29: If you can I'd wait a bit before getting a chip. The scene is still pretty young and better chips should be out soon.

SadistBlue said:
For the most part your firmware theory is completely based off crap you pulled out of nowhere. Until it actually happens, you can't say "I told you so".

SadistBlue - :lol: Trust me dude its not based off of crap. With an electronics engineering background and comp programming BA under my belt it is most certainly NOT crap. Go ahead. Continue to ridicule. Then wait because big "N" already hates pirated games they will figure a way to lock down the console. Believe it or not.

Ciper - You are right the scene is still very young and therein is my biggest concern.
luke29 - Should you want to I would wait to mod, atleast until the stockpile of Wii's are available and mod chips have undergone more extensive programming and testing.

lasher702 said:
SadistBlue - :lol: Trust me dude its not based off of crap. With an electronics engineering background and comp programming BA under my belt it is most certainly NOT crap. Go ahead. Continue to ridicule. Then wait because big "N" already hates pirated games they will figure a way to lock down the console. Believe it or not.

I'm not claiming the scene to be invulnerable to punishment. I'm just saying that it's unlikely to happen like that. Worst case it get's bricked, and out $250. I think it would be worth getting another when you already have $1000+ worth of games. (30+ decent games released so far x $50 = 1500+)

Back