modded wii

"Backup"? You mean you have purchased the original game and have made a backup?

A backup is a backup. I wish I had backups of my games that I could use instead of the original disk. The fact that we can't do that when the technology so easily allows it is a load of crap.

For every person who wishes he had a backup of his own games that he paid for, there are 10,000 people who wish they had a "backup" of someone else's game so they don't have to pay for it ever.

It's not in Nintendo's financial interest to make "backups" easy or usable. Or do you not want the Wii to be a successful (read: profitable) console?

theres a rumor going around that galaxy will not be playable on modded Wiis. so if ur think of modding your wii, dont because if Nintendo really is protecting their games this way then 3rd party games will start to be released w/the same protection and eventually you can only play 2007 games and earlier.

lol thats a stupid rumor, and its untrue. If they do that alot of complications will happen. And if you mean you cant play a "bootleg" version of mario, but you cant play the origin.......then that means you full off *-*

all it sound like is that you herd some bs from someone or you just hate modders, and you are a goody goody. The only way they could stop modded wiis is through firmeware or hardware......and that aint going to happen.

Support Nintendo. there is no need for back up of a game whatever happen or what will happen to your game is your fault. just get a new game. I have taken care of all my system consoles and some are still working to this day. none of my discs have scrathes or anything. just take care of your stuff.

Thegamerfan said:
lol thats a stupid rumor, and its untrue. If they do that alot of complications will happen. And if you mean you cant play a "bootleg" version of mario, but you cant play the origin.......then that means you full off *-*

all it sound like is that you herd some bs from someone or you just hate modders, and you are a goody goody. The only way they could stop modded wiis is through firmeware or hardware......and that aint going to happen.

Actually it's true, even the mod chip makers have acknowledged it. A regular retail version of Super Mario Galaxy will not play on Wii's that use some types of mod chips. However, most of those chips already have patches to get around the new protection. But don't think for an instance that this is Nintendo's last try at interfering with mod chips.

Super Mario Galaxy NTSC leaked and apparently works fine (judging by countless comments at site of download). The filename tells you to read the NFO so I think you have to update Wiikey (if you use that modchip) before playing, but in the end it works. So it's not prevented from being copied.
I haven't DL it because I generally suck at Mario games, but yeah.

well Nintendo may crackdown on piracy next just like microsoft because nintendo hates piracy because they feel its dishonest come on people think about it if you can get all wii game you want then you get bored of them because there is no damn sense of accomplishment so think about it. well for the ds is different since its region free and I could just buy RE 4 (not resident evil) for my ds and download full versions cuz I wont get bored since my family cant buy me games at all.

Thegamerfan said:

no actually it was a topic on the forum so quit being such a close minded ****.

its not impossible and its not improbable. it just means that the update the wii needs to play mario galaxy will be able to detect mod chips. its not going to completely stop hackers from playin galaxy it would jsut slow them down for a few months till they got around it. its not a perfect plan but at least theyd be taking action.

so you can go back to stealing your games for now, but eventually game companys will find a way to stop it. im not a mod hater, i just think its shady to steal what everybody else pays for. i mean people claim to be nintendo fans/supporters yet they cant support them financially. its hypocritical.

Link to topic: http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii...yable-modded-wiis-stealth-chips-detected.html

Last edited:
SensesFail said:
theres a rumor going around that galaxy will not be playable on modded Wiis. so if ur think of modding your wii, dont because if Nintendo really is protecting their games this way then 3rd party games will start to be released w/the same protection and eventually you can only play 2007 games and earlier.

Yes Galaxy has rendered some modifications useless. However, less than 48 hours after it was discovered a workaround was created.

So the actual protection was cracked in less than 2 days. Good work Nintendo

If I bought a Wii title then I am perfectly within my rights to create a back up of it for everyday use.

A back up can be created in under 2 hours now. The important factor is that only very few certain makes and models of DVD drives will allow you to create the .iso image file of the original Wii title.

These drives are:

Hitachi LG GDR-8161b (IDE)
Hitachi LG GDR-8162b (IDE)
Hitachi LG GDR-8163b (IDE)
Hitachi LG GDR-8164b (IDE)
Hitachi LG GDR-H10NBLK (SATA)

........plus there's three or four models by LG that will work. Interestingly you only need one of these specific drives to create the image file. You can burn the image file using any drive and virtually any media. Strange.

You can then use RawDump to create yourself an ISO of precisely 4,699,979,776 bytes. If you are worried that the update code on the original CD may brick your modded Wii then you can use an application called 'Brick Blocker' which will strip away any dashboard update code from the image before you burn it.

Nero, Alcohol120% anything will then burn your ISO for you.

It's really very simple. Stripping the update code takes minutes. Job done. No point in Nintendo forcing a new firmware update on the discs - it's not difficult to get around. Nothing at all that Nintendo can do about it until they release their next console. Sorry but that's just the way it is.

The reason people are saying that there modded Wii's no longer play backups is because they've not stripped out the dash update code. Serves them right for just downloading an ISO from a Newsgroup or Torrent!

Out of interest I purchase all my titles, I just have a healthy interest in making sure that software I bought can still be copied. Goes back to my 48K Speccy days - High speed dubbing - hell yeah!

Last edited:
FRuMMaGe said:
Yes Galaxy has rendered some modifications useless. However, less than 48 hours after it was discovered a workaround was created.

So the actual protection was cracked in less than 2 days. Good work Nintendo

It still served it's purpose. It created some fear and uncertaintity in the mod chip realm. So-called "undetectable" chips were detected. This will cause some who were considering a mod chip to shy away. That's about the best Nintendo could ask for, I'm sure they knew there would be a work-around pretty fast.

spawnminion said:
Support Nintendo. there is no need for back up of a game whatever happen or what will happen to your game is your fault. just get a new game. I have taken care of all my system consoles and some are still working to this day. none of my discs have scrathes or anything. just take care of your stuff.

That is not necessarily true. The Wii has a motor and spins the DVD inside it. Don't you think that the Wii itself can sometimes scratch a disk?

Not to mention the fact that DVD's are not archival media. If you don't know what that means look it up.

Back