modded wii..

jason416

WiiChat Member
Feb 1, 2008
Wii Online Code
8204-3159-3293-3808
my friend told me, i should mod a wii because u can get many games for like 5~10 bucks easy. but i told them that i want to update my wii and buy a game that cost 50 bucks and not risking getting caught by a nintendo and make it not work. My friend told me that, u should mod a wii with a professional and u wont get caught and it wont ruin my wii.
My question is, is modding a wii healthy? (as in, is it good ? bad? why and why not?)

Modding is stealing.

~ is a sin
~ is unfair
~ is a hassle
~ is THE DAM REASON WHY WE DONT HAVE A HARD DRIVE ON THE WII

Don't do it. It only indirectly promotes these bad things happening on the wii such as us having no hard drive.

Plus, it's not a great way to support the game-makers for their creation.

Also, you won't value the game like it should be.

100% agree with phillepino: Don't mod your Wii!

Rent games, if you like them, buy them. So successful game maker may continue to make great games...

modding is technically illegal, EVEN if it is not used for playing cpoied games.

u can get many games for like 5~10 bucks easy
you dint haver to pay a guy 5-10 for something you can d/l on your own.

and u wont get caught and it wont ruin my wii.
whether a pro or yourself mod's it, it is the same. and chances are you'll end up with a bricked wii.

pay what is owed to play

Only the people who know NOTHING about modding play the ~*OMFG BRICKED WII*~ card. It's old and tired and simply untrue. The only real way to brick a Wii is if you've got an NTSC modded console and run a PAL game that has its own update. And even then it isn't for sure, and it's not permanently bricked. Unless you have a ghetto modchip without update-capable firmware.

I'm not condoning or condemning modding, it's just silly when people don't know their facts and use scare tactics to give themselves satisfaction for paying for things some people get for free.

Last edited:
Well what I really hate is that you're wanting to get games for free when you can pay for them and it's like getting them free! Honestly! You're obviously an American with the $50 wii games...THAT'S ONLY FOR THE BEST!!! You could pick up more than 20 games for under $40 where you are! And why bother with it? Games come out in America in a second! And you obviously don't know anything about the wii so I don't know how you would ever get to even begin to be able to download a game in the first place...BONK!

Don't.

Yes, it's true that it is pretty hard to brick your Wii after modding it, but Nintendo could have updates in the future that do just that.

Opening up your Wii to mess with the insides definitely increases the danger of it malfunctioning some day (I know this from experience with many modded game systems while living in Asia - they break far easier and generally have a shorter life span), and fake games can often strain the optical laser to the point that it stops working. It also voids your warranty.

Buying or downloading and burning your own fake 'backup' games is illegal. This means that it is in fact something you can be arrested and put in jail for. Think about it.

thanks guys.
so my friend is just being dumb?

i'm not against modding since it has so many purposes... but if it's for stealing games i'll share this one observation.
  • majority of the pirates i've seen have a ton of pirated software. they seem so involved in getting the next "free game".
  • they brag about how many they have, but only play the few they like... and they seem to master none of the games.
  • they don't admit it, but i think the pirates enjoyed their console more when they played their own games and did well... instead of getting bored quickly with a game because they know they can hunt for another torrent...

phillepino said:
Modding is stealing.

~ is a sin
~ is unfair
~ is a hassle
~ is THE DAM REASON WHY WE DONT HAVE A HARD DRIVE ON THE WII

Don't do it. It only indirectly promotes these bad things happening on the wii such as us having no hard drive.

Plus, it's not a great way to support the game-makers for their creation.

Also, you won't value the game like it should be.

Modding is not stealing. Downloading games you haven't purchased to use on a modded wii is stealing.

You can run homebrew on a modded Wii or even program your own games. The Wii hardware is owned by us, and as long as stolen/downloaded games aren't played on it it is perfectly legal.

I don't support stealing games but modding/homebrewing can be great. Homebrewing an emulator to play NES games would be stealing unless you own the original, there are ways it can be illegal but just the act of modding is not stealing or illegal. Nintendo owns the rights to the design and software. We own the hardware. If we purchase a car we can mod it all we want. If we copy the car's design and make our own to sell to other people, we are stealing.

sirgrim said:
Modding is not stealing...
modding means a lot of different things, just as everyone has their own definition of hacking.
the op discusses pirating.
jason416 said:
...should mod a wii because u can get many games for like 5~10 bucks easy...u should mod a wii with a professional and u wont get caught and it wont ruin my wii.

Last edited:
idjut said:
modding means a lot of different things, just as everyone has their own definition of hacking.
the op discusses pirating.

I wasn't responding to OP.

I have a ? for the guys that have modded thier Wii's...Has anyone had an issue with playing SSBB? I haven't modded mine at all and now I have to send it in to get fixed/cleaned(whatever). I was thinking about modding at one point but luckily never did, if I had I would probably never get to play SSBB with that particular Wii. Food for thought...I would never mod my only Wii.

Chewtoy said:
...I would never mod my only Wii.

IMO if i ever did mod, chip or no chip, it wouldnt be with my only wii. A lot of games are great, but honestly, how many can you play at one time?

jason416 said:
thanks guys.
so my friend is just being dumb?

Yes, pretty much. There are some cool things you can do with homebrew with mods, but those are mostly really technical and/or not really worth the time unless you're really into it. Your signature proudly states the day when you got your Wii, and the day when you got SSBB. You wouldn't have any of those experiences anymore if everything you own for the Wii is fake and pirated. Sure, you'd have lots of games, but honestly, you would have earned none of it.

So unless you have:
1. No problems with stealing
2. Lots of legal homebrew things you know and want to do
3. A way to fix the Wii if it breaks

then don't mod it.

Back