Modding wii

Thechickenman27

WiiChat Member
Mar 1, 2007
Hey guys im thinking of modding my wii but am not sure which site is reliable. I also want a installation service from that site, have any of you guys paid a modding service and can you explain to me how it works like what they will do and what i will have to do. for example shipping

Last edited:
I used to do Xboxes, and I now do 360's. It's not very difficult work, but it is dangerous. There are many dangers since IF they provide the service, when you read their little Terms of Service, you'll most often find they do not warranty their work. From a book-keep's point of view, that's not a smart move anyway if you're breaking in new staff, or having a bad day since you're maybe making 100 dollars for 10 minutes work on a 300+ dollar console. One screwup may be acceptable, but more than that cuts a day's profits down to nearly zero. Can't have that..

Anyway, onward. You're better off doing it yourself, unless you know an engineer or trust someone who has experience with a soldering iron. I'd never trust anything online like that, because if you pay them, and ship them your console, they have NO obligation to return it anyway. There's no contract involved and there is no work order. You're basically on good faith. Not good practice.

Also, It's not a good idea to mod the wii anyway since it lacks versatility from the get go. What few features you could add wouldn't be worth it in the long run, because I know HOW they're going to check for modded consoles and it's going to be very effective. The discs are checked for authentication with a checksum of bad sectors. Each disc is different, and the wii can log these. Even if the modchip can scramble the fake codes for the discs, it can't keep it compared to Nintendo's original list, since they can change the hash code at any time with an update.

Overall, the wii's fine on it's own. If you don't wanna spend money on the games, rent them instead. S'not like there's a MASSIVE count of games yet, roughly estimated at 90-ish original games for the Wii, with I think around 20 more around christmas. I myself am waiting for Nights into dreams, because I fell in love with that game on my saturn, which didn't survive something that happened years ago.

That's just my views. Opinions and experience differ.

I would say not to do it. Nintendo is really going after all the mod chips, and future updates may mess up or even brick your Wii, and since you kinda void your warranty through mod-chipping, you may end up just having to fork out for another Wii altogether.

This is the second mod-chipping question in two days...

I would agere too and share the views of the other replys. In the long run not worth doing... Simple really!

I have aso heard that Nintendo are going to crack down on this in future updates...

It is up to you though and need to weigh up both sides... How many games can you get and how much the mod costs with buying a new Wii (and replacing the copied games!)

Is up to you...

Are you in the US? Have you read the news on FBI crack down on modding services last week? Or you are collecting info for the federal agents? :lol:

Anyway, onward. You're better off doing it yourself, unless you know an engineer or trust someone who has experience with a soldering iron.

hmm... last time i soldered iron was in 7th grade technology class

I would wait. I would wait until we are able to execute Wii based homebrew. One this has been tackled running backup games will be much easier, and less likely to fail.

Wii is way to new to Mod and most ways out there arent all Full Proof they Wii is very new which means no one has really discovered anything really good. And Nintendo will brick your Wii and it is just not worth it if you really want to mod a system mod a outdated one. but nothing new why?

1. Breaking Law
2. Could Screw up Wii
3. A glitch in system may cause somthing to happen like the xbox 360 rings of death and well I don't think you will be sending your wii to them..

Since when did the legality of something stop people from doing it?

xVendettax said:
Wii is way to new to Mod and most ways out there arent all Full Proof they Wii is very new which means no one has really discovered anything really good. And Nintendo will brick your Wii and it is just not worth it if you really want to mod a system mod a outdated one. but nothing new why?

1. Breaking Law
2. Could Screw up Wii
3. A glitch in system may cause somthing to happen like the xbox 360 rings of death and well I don't think you will be sending your wii to them..
Modding isn't illegal. It can be used for illegal purposes, but it can also be completely legal if you own a legally bought copy of all the games you burn, etc.

actually

I would never mod my Wii it means to much to me :blush2: its legal to copy all your games for back up as long as you have the orig disk and you dont sell them

paintba||er said:

Modding isn't illegal. It can be used for illegal purposes, but it can also be completely legal if you own a legally bought copy of all the games you burn, etc.

This actually depends what country your in. Some countries have made the physical ModChip its self illegal.

Actually, it's illegal to circumvent the copy-protection. But yes, in the Us you are allowed to have two physical backups of any computer software you purchase, which is extended to Floppy/CD/DVD and will be extended to Blu-Ray in 09 I think..

im also thinkinf of modding my wii.. butt i heard there are some bad sife effects, like it might stop working and stuff.. I'm not sue if i want to take the risk, also i modded my Ps2. but its fine xD so thats good :)

OmegaForte said:
Actually, it's illegal to circumvent the copy-protection. But yes, in the Us you are allowed to have two physical backups of any computer software you purchase, which is extended to Floppy/CD/DVD and will be extended to Blu-Ray in 09 I think..

Not completely true, this goes back to my initial statement about, it all coming down to what country you are in.

The copy protection on the Wii is hardware based, not disk based. Spain for instance has ruled that ModChips are completely legal, because the end user decides if they break law. Which means that you really are not breaking any laws to circumvent the copy protection, since even though they have a copy protection law, they ruled in this case it is legal to circumvent the copy protection......

Back