Modest Mouse anyone?

tank

Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Nov 26, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Anyone else a fan?

I have every one of their CDs, and the new one, "We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank" is definitely up there with the best of em.

"Missed the Boat" and "Fire it Up" are my favorite songs off the new Album.

I like Modest Mouse because they have a bit of everything, a song for every mood. Not only does their style change a lil with each album, but each one also has a gambit of songs. Lots of chill stuff, lots of funky stuff, some sad/reflective stuff, and some angry stuff too.

Last edited:
modest mouse is easily one of the best indie bands of all time... your right that the best song on the new cd is definately missed the boat, then i like spitting venom. i dont think the cd as a whole though comes near to there older stuff though. i guess i would rank them
7 sad sappy sucker... its just to raw and un-produced, but lots of good ideas
6 moon and antartica...
5 we were dead before the ship even sank
4 good news for people who love bad news
3 long drive for someone with nothing to think about
2 building something out of nothing
1 lonesome crowded west

i like all there cd's but thats how i would rank them..... i could talk about this band forever.

Yes... The lonesome crowd was by far the best album they've done

I hated how everyone just started smashing Good News right as it came out because it was their "sell out" album. Just because Float on was their first big radio number they were selling out.....ok.....

Good news has Black Cadillacs, and One Chance. Both great songs.

nickz2112 said:
3 long drive for someone with nothing to think about
2 building something out of nothing
1 lonesome crowded west

iawtc

well done, i've been listening to this band since 1999 and i would rank these top three in the exact same order ... i saw them live with the walkmen and it was pretty darn great

tank said:
Good news has Black Cadillacs, and One Chance. Both great songs.

those songs are both really good... but the best song on the album is definately the good times are killing me. the extra help with production from the flaming lips is brilliant

nickz2112 said:
those songs are both really good... but the best song on the album is definately the good times are killing me. the extra help with production from the flaming lips is brilliant
i cant help but hear the tune of that track when i hera the name of

the goooood times 'r killin me

Modest Mouse is my favorite band too.
I have every album including Baron Von Bullshit Rides Again (bootleg).
By the way it's Ship not ****.
Just to let you know. I thought the new album was decent. Not as good as say Lonesome Crowded West or The Moon & Antarctica. But We Have Everything, Steam Engenious, Education, and Florida were all very good well written songs. I think they're trying new things, getting older and looking for new ****. I like the addition of Johnny Marr. You can definitely hear his guitar stylings on the new album especially on Steam Engenious.

I hope they tour Cleveland this year or next.

Haha I didn't notice I put **** instead of Ship until you mentioned that,

btw. Is that the Junior-Senior vid on your avatar?

whats your guys farovite modest mouse song??? mine is definately talking **** about a pretty sunset

nickz2112 said:
whats your guys farovite modest mouse song??? mine is definately talking **** about a pretty sunset
thats a difficult question..

.songs like 'breakthrough' can get me pumped..where as 'tiny cities made of ashes ' make me wanna dance .. and then the 'baby blue sedans' get me all nostalgic .... where as 'truckers atlas' is 12 min long and i love MM for the monotonous songs that i can zone out too ....

if i had to say 1 song... i would go with the nostalgic songs... 'Polar Opposites'

i like talking **** about a pretty sunset because of the guitar solo at the end. its not very impressive or anything but the sound he gets out of the guitar there is so unique and interesting.

What would guys recommend as a good next step for someone(i.e. me) to listen to, who has only heard/owns Good News?

Back