Monster Hunter selling more than PKmon

I find it kinda funny how people are desperately trying to find something to celebrate in. Spin to the extreme.

ign said:
Japanese Sales: 2007's First Half
The PSP has the number one game for the first six months.
by Daemon Hatfield
US, July 5, 2007 - Nintendo may have around 80 percent of the Japanese videogame market between the DS Lite and Wii, but the best-selling game for the first half of 2007 (H1 2007) is a PSP title: Monster Hunter Freedom 2. Coming in at number two was Wii Sports -- which isn't included with the Wii in Japan. The ever-popular Pokemon Diamond/Pearl is resting comfortably in third place, even though it was released back in September 2006. The cumulative sales for Pokemon's first proper DS entry are around 5,185,000, making it by far the best-selling title in the top 100 if you look beyond H1 2007.

A Western-designed game doesn't show up on the list until the 17th spot, with Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (which is published by Capcom in Japan). A PlayStation 3 game doesn't appear until number 29 with Dynasty Warriors: Gundam, and Virtua Fighter 5 is at number 96.

There are no Xbox 360 games in Japan's H1 2007 top 100.

Monster Hunter Freedom 2Unsurprisingly, Nintendo is the top publisher for the first half of the year, with 32 games in the top 100. Capcom is sitting pretty at number two with six titles in the top 100, even though this is fewer than other publishers like Namco Bandai (15 games) and SEGA (10 games). Capcom owes this success mostly to Monster Hunter Freedom 2.

The top 3 best-selling PlayStation 2 games:

Orochi Warriors

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix +

The top 3 best-selling Wii games:

Wii Sports

Wii Play

Super Paper Mario

The top 3 best-selling PS3 games:

Dynasty Warriors: Gundam

Virtua Fighter 5

Pro Yakyu Spirits 4

The top 3 best-selling 360 games:

Gears of War (which sold less than a quarter of any other platform's best-selling title)

Blue Dragon

Eternal Sonata

The top 3 best-selling PSP games:

Monster Hunter Freedom 2

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

The top 3 best-selling DS games:

Pokemon Diamond/Pearl

Yoshi's Island DS

New Super Mario Bros.
Spin step 1: Say what's supposedly the best, and undermine it with something that is supposed to sell badly.
step 2: Comment on it's rivals. Then try and turn around the reason for a lack of sales figures as a bad thing, despite it actually not really counting (i.e. Pokemon went on sale September 2006, allowing for the best fans to buy their copy before 2007, so that it doesn't count them in).
step 3: Have an admission in the middle, where people don't really notice (it's a psychological effect. We best remember things in a list how they began and how they ended).
step 4: ***** about the fact that the Japanese don't seem to like Western games.
step 5: Comment about the rivals again, saying who was the best technically (company-wise), but re-enforce the winner.
step 6: Add seemingly nonesensical (to the article itself) raw data for all consoles, to leave the reader with a sense of "unbiasedness" in the article.
step 7: Let the fans take this onto forums to congratulate over having the "best", whilst thinking of another way to make the latest figures of something seem like they're doing amazing.
Whilst all this is technically true, I'm mostly doing this to peeve fanboys off.
I suppose it's just how you read it.

Though whilst Sony is doing the victory jig, I'd say that if Sony uses this, like it does any other piece of "evidence", it'll just go to show that Sony would rather fake victory, than admit that something needs to be done.

Anyway, after my kinda depressing reply, I think I need sleep (maybe why I'm, cranky)...

Last edited:
Bubble still holding.

As it may be just recently and not counting when pkmon was released, that would be intresting to see though, the PSP has fewer out there then DS. Not a very big victory, true, but when you think that there are fewer PSP's, its right impressive when a games sells more with less.

Sony in general has been selling more consoles. PSP, PS2 and PS3 have all gone up. Knowing Sony has many more games planned, I can only imagine how much the sales will be come christmas.

GamerCon said:
As it may be just recently and not counting when pkmon was released, that would be intresting to see though, the PSP has fewer out there then DS. Not a very big victory, true, but when you think that there are fewer PSP's, its right impressive when a games sells more with less.
So it's a semi-victory. It's a victory for Monster Hunter or Capcom, because it's their game. It was despite Sony's PSP that it got top place.

Sony in general has been selling more consoles.
Sony in general has been selling more consoles than Nintendo generally or just the Wii or DS on it's own?

PSP, PS2 and PS3 have all gone up.
Demand fluctuates a little generally, especially when hyped up games come out (not saving over hyped, just hyped). I'm sure Wii's sales will spike once Mario Galaxy is released, so long as the demand has been met before then...

Knowing Sony has many more games planned, I can only imagine how much the sales will be come christmas.
I'm sure we'll see a significant increase, as with all consoles.

...Funny thing about Christmas...

in touch with the wii said:
how could you compete against wii sports it comes with the wii console
Not in Japan. Even says it in the article:

Coming in at number two was Wii Sports -- which isn't included with the Wii in Japan.

in touch with the wii said:
how could you compete against wii sports it comes with the wii console
It was sold seperatly in japan.

Not saying PS is selling more then Nintendo, just they are all increasin where others are slowly dropping, or in the 360 case quickly dropping.

Im curious how many Wiis will sell during christmas. Almost everyone will have one so it may just be software sales.

sony usually starts off slow, the winner is usually the one still running strong. Example, ps2 games are still being made and its a last gen console.

Pokemon has sold so many copies is nauseas. To brag you sold more copies over a game empire like The Sims for a brief moment isn't bragging rights. Then again I'd be happy to see anything eventually dethrone Pokemon. Yawnfest.

GamerCon said:
Not saying PS is selling more then Nintendo, just they are all increasin where others are slowly dropping, or in the 360 case quickly dropping.
The latest figures have come in. The Wii is still increasing, it's only the DS lite that has fallen (out of all Nintendo consoles).

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/06/japanese-hardware-sales-jun-25-jul-1-slippery-slope-editio/
- DS Lite: 157,435 6,453 (3.94%)
- Wii: 73,919 8,337 (12.71%)
- PSP: 38,305 5,321 (16.13%)
- PS2: 16,316 4,354 (36.40%)
- PS3: 11,914 2,333 (24.35%)
- Xbox 360: 3,154 215 (6.38%)
- Game Boy Micro: 377 93 (32.75%)
- GBA SP: 179 49 (37.69%)
- Gamecube: 111 29 (35.37%)
- DS Phat: 45 15 (50.00%)
- GBA: 16 16 (N/A%)

It seems even the Wii alone is beating all Sony consoles put together.
PSP, PS2 and PS3 together: 66,535
Wii: 73,919

Although bearing in mind, that the Wii thirst isn't even satisfied yet (there's still people looking for them apparently), we'll begin to see what Nintendo can churn out rather than figures on what people want. In essence, much like launch, the number of consoles sold is a definite number. The demand for it isn't. Ergo, the number of units sold only shows how fast Nintendo can churn them out, rather than how "popular" it is.

Im curious how many Wiis will sell during christmas. Almost everyone will have one so it may just be software sales.
I don't think there's any way of telling that at the moment. Everything would be speculation.

But I speculate that the Xmas period will still hail more consoles sold than any other month of the year.

sony usually starts off slow, the winner is usually the one still running strong. Example, ps2 games are still being made and its a last gen console.
True. But past success is no guarantee of future success. There's many other ways of reasoning that would point to the PS3's doom. Things like "most powerful console never wins". Not saying it's true, just saying that "predictions" like that are always flawed by the fact that this is a completely new situation.

Oh, and half the reason why PS2 games are still being sold is because of the PS3. Also partly the Wii too. It doesn't indicate that the PS3 will have the same success though.

Last edited:
Not saying PS consoles combined is selling more than Nintendo but it is going up in sales as other produces will be going down. When the Wii starts to slow down to about 15-20k, it wont be cause no one wants one, it would be cause everyone has one. But when we look at PS2 compared to GC, yea we can SO do that, we see the PS2 is selling like it was new. It also further proves that Sony made the PS2 damn near perfect. I wouldnt be surprised if in 2010 the PS2 is still pushing units in the double digits and Nintendo's Wii is selling 100 a week.

I expect the Wii sales to fall drasticly. After Mario, Brawl and Metroid, what else is there? Sounds a lot like the GC line up with, Mario, Melee, and Metroid.

GamerCon said:
Not saying PS consoles combined is selling more than Nintendo but it is going up in sales as other produces will be going down. When the Wii starts to slow down to about 15-20k, it wont be cause no one wants one, it would be cause everyone has one. But when we look at PS2 compared to GC, yea we can SO do that, we see the PS2 is selling like it was new. It also further proves that Sony made the PS2 damn near perfect. I wouldnt be surprised if in 2010 the PS2 is still pushing units in the double digits and Nintendo's Wii is selling 100 a week.

I expect the Wii sales to fall drasticly. After Mario, Brawl and Metroid, what else is there? Sounds a lot like the GC line up with, Mario, Melee, and Metroid.

These:

Opoona
Ghost Squad
EA Playground
Disaster DOC
The Simpsons
Harvest Moon Heroes
Super Mario Galaxy
Dragon Blade
River King
de Blob
MySims
BW2
DQ:MQTM
No More Heroes
Mari&Sonic
Mario Strikers Charged
NiGHTS

Not good enough? Throw in games like Alien Syndrome and such.

Ppl are gonna want these. I can asure you that these'll sell :yesnod:

Monsteroids said:
These:

Opoona
Ghost Squad
EA Playground
Disaster DOC
The Simpsons
Harvest Moon Heroes
Super Mario Galaxy
Dragon Blade
River King
de Blob
MySims
BW2
DQ:MQTM
No More Heroes
Mari&Sonic
Mario Strikers Charged
NiGHTS

Not good enough? Throw in games like Alien Syndrome and such.

Ppl are gonna want these. I can asure you that these'll sell :yesnod:
De Blob?? Try De Biggest waste of money since No More Heroes. I saw a trailer that and thought it was a joke, then it said No More Heroes Wii. Speachless, thinking a game thats real, was a joke.

Sims, not likely since the PC ones kinda suck and im sure it wont be online.

EA Playground. A game that simulates a playground. Your God, what are games becoming? Did you ask yourself "WTF is this ****?" or were you actually excited about going to a fake playground? Keep pedophiles away from the kids I suppose.

The best game on there is NIGHTS.

GamerCon said:
De Blob?? Try De Biggest waste of money since No More Heroes. I saw a trailer that and thought it was a joke, then it said No More Heroes Wii. Speachless, thinking a game thats real, was a joke.

Sims, not likely since the PC ones kinda suck and im sure it wont be online.

EA Playground. A game that simulates a playground. Your God, what are games becoming? Did you ask yourself "WTF is this ****?" or were you actually excited about going to a fake playground? Keep pedophiles away from the kids I suppose.

The best game on there is NIGHTS.

I agree with the bold text and not sure about de Blob... Isn't it a free PC game made my senior high school students???? Must be easy for a team to develop and it'll sell at normal price?! WTF stop with the shitty ports.
I still have a feeling it'll sell.

I like the look of No More Heroes though. I like the idea of an otaku with a lightsaber clone. Many destructive occurances and anime/Star Wars dreams of granduer, a dorks idea of heaven I guess. :lol:

I think I'll at least rent the blocky cute animesims. :/

I s'pose I agree with mosta what ya said.

Back