More flexibility in sensor bar placement. WHEN Nintendo?

I play it on a projector last night with an 80" image. I put the wireless sensor bar a few feet in front of the screen. When I set up my home theater in the basement, I'll drop down 2 groups of IR LED from the ceiling.
If you are making your own sensor bar, you can put more IR LEDs on each side and put the two groups farther apart on top (or bottom) of your projector screen to provide sufficient signal to be detected at a distance.

I know what you're talking about iceblade. I too use a PJ setup at home using an InFocus 4805 projecting onto a custom made 90" diagnonal black out cloth screen. Depending on the height of the screen, you can somewhat improve the situation by telling the wii the bar is in the opposite spot. If the bottom of the screen is above eye level and you can get the sensor bar on the bottom of the screen at that level, then tell the Wii the sensor bar is on top of the TV. It takes some getting used to initially but it feels find after awhile.

I guess I'm used to it now but I have my sensor bar below the TV. My screen hangs on our entertainment center and the sensor bar is still visible below the screen, I can use the same settings for the TV as I can for the large screen. I haven't had any problems with this setup myself. Do you have pics of your setup?

If you are using a projector far away then you will have to have some sort of stand placing it between the screen and you.

There is no getting around that. I fail to see how "adjusting the distance" in your situation would even be possible.

mym6 said:
I know what you're talking about iceblade. I too use a PJ setup at home using an InFocus 4805 projecting onto a custom made 90" diagnonal black out cloth screen. Depending on the height of the screen, you can somewhat improve the situation by telling the wii the bar is in the opposite spot. If the bottom of the screen is above eye level and you can get the sensor bar on the bottom of the screen at that level, then tell the Wii the sensor bar is on top of the TV. It takes some getting used to initially but it feels find after awhile.

I guess I'm used to it now but I have my sensor bar below the TV. My screen hangs on our entertainment center and the sensor bar is still visible below the screen, I can use the same settings for the TV as I can for the large screen. I haven't had any problems with this setup myself. Do you have pics of your setup?
I would post photos but I don't think it would help. I'm now actually thinking of constructing two IR sources that would be set much further apart than the original sensor bar and placed on a table in front of my projection screen. Do you think this will improve the triangulation? However there really should be a sensor bar offset custom setting in the wii settings.
vagrant said:
If you are using a projector far away then you will have to have some sort of stand placing it between the screen and you.
There is no getting around that. I fail to see how "adjusting the distance" in your situation would even be possible.
The problem is that the height of this stand isn't adjustable and is 20cm below the lowest part of the screen. That's why I'm talking about a sensor bar offset compensation setting

Last edited:
iceblade said:
The problem is that the height of this stand isn't adjustable and is 20cm below the lowest part of the screen. That's why I'm talking about a sensor bar offset compensation setting

It's infrared, you can't just adjust triangulation. If it is sitting significantly lower than where you are holding the wiimote, there is nothing you can do about it. Unless you tilt the sensor bar and aim down with the wiimote for everything you do.

I've ordered a 20pk IR LEDs and I am going to make 2 self standing IR lamps that I can place them in any distance.

vagrant said:
It's infrared, you can't just adjust triangulation. If it is sitting significantly lower than where you are holding the wiimote, there is nothing you can do about it. Unless you tilt the sensor bar and aim down with the wiimote for everything you do.
Correct but I think small offsets in height could be corrected with software settings
billcsho said:
I've ordered a 20pk IR LEDs and I am going to make 2 self standing IR lamps that I can place them in any distance.
Cool! If you get it to work please report your results in this thread :)

vagrant said:
but if it is a small offset...why don't you just grab a book or something to set it on?
If I put it higher it blocks the projector light. If I move it farther--> range issues. And I think it's kinda missing the point having to adjust my whole house for a damn sensor bar

iceblade said:
If I put it higher it blocks the projector light. If I move it farther--> range issues. And I think it's kinda missing the point having to adjust my whole house for a damn sensor bar

Yea, you shouldn't need to setup something hokey to make it work. Is your screen acoustically transparent? You might be able to put the sensor bar behind the screen if it is.

EDIT: Interesting that putting it higher would block the PJ's image. Are you *sure* you have the settings right in the menus? It's obviously not 1:1 but it shouldn't feel that awkward.

Last edited:
iceblade said:

If it blocks the projector light, and is too low, then all you should have to do is move it back and it should work fine.

And I think you are missing the point. Part of having a projector is adjusting your whole damn house.

vagrant said:
If it blocks the projector light, and is too low, then all you should have to do is move it back and it should work fine.

And I think you are missing the point. Part of having a projector is adjusting your whole damn house.
a) Which part of "If I move it farther--> range issues" you didn't get?
b) The house is perfectly adjusted for the projector . The problems are problems of th eplacement of the sensor bar of the Wii. I won't have to readjust my whole setup just for the wii sensor bar. That's why the title of the topic is "flexibility in sensor bar placement"
For the third time:
a) If I put the sensor bar directly below the projection image (which is projected on the wall) I have range issues because image is ~at 8m and no sensor bar works well at this range
b) If I put the sensor bar closer at where I'm standing I have to put it at a lower height because it blocks the projection beam.

Last edited:
iceblade said:
Which part of "If I move it farther--> range issues" you didn't get?
You need pictures, because I have no idea how it could be blocking the projector when it is just close enough for the IR.

vagrant said:
You need pictures, because I have no idea how it could be blocking the projector when it is just close enough for the IR.
Fair enough, sorry for that. Just imagine the sensor bar moving from directly below the projection screen towards the projector constant height. Eventually it will get in the way of the beam. You want to lower the height of the sensor bar so it wont get in the way of the beam and that's where you have offset issues.
If the two IR sources billcho suggested have good range this would be a nice solution for me

Last edited:
I'm with vagrant with this. Is your PJ table or ceiling mounted? If it's table top then I'm not sure what you can do to have the sensor bar closer and not in the way. You'd have to find away to get it above the screen, which won't be practical.

Back