More flexibility in sensor bar placement. WHEN Nintendo?

mym6 said:
I'm with vagrant with this. Is your PJ table or ceiling mounted? If it's table top then I'm not sure what you can do to have the sensor bar closer and not in the way. You'd have to find away to get it above the screen, which won't be practical.
It's table mounted. If it was ceiling mounted of course getting in front of the projection beam would not be an issue. I'm inclined to think that the only solution would be a custom made sensor bar with improved range

iceblade said:
It's table mounted. If it was ceiling mounted of course getting in front of the projection beam would not be an issue. I'm inclined to think that the only solution would be a custom made sensor bar with improved range
Why not put the sensor bar on top of the projector?

Mount it on the ceiling, you'll be happier, trust me :)

Attachments

• IMG_3010.jpg
    IMG_3010.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 168
iceblade said:

I am confused...so when you are playing you are standing behind the projector or what?

I've finished making 2 separated IR LED lamps (each with 6 IR LED and one green LED) powered with a 9V DC adapter. I've found the 2 lamps placed above or below the screen need to be separated at around 1/12 of the distance between the gamer and screen. For instance, if you are going to sit 15 feet away from the screen, you need to position the two side of IR LED lamp around 15" apart. Now I can use the WiiMote pointer over 20 ft away. The IR signal from the 6 LED of each side is getting too weak to be detected after 22-25ft. I've tested WiiPlay shooting game and Rayman Raving Rabbids.

Did you not get a wall mount with your wii? I did. I don't use it, but it'd be nice to hav if I had a projector.

Wall mount for Wii? I don't think there is one and I don't see how it benefits the use of projector. Do you mean a wall mount for the sensor bar? The original sensor bar is not very good for projector use because you cannot be more than 8ft away when using the pointer.

billcsho said:
I've finished making 2 separated IR LED lamps (each with 6 IR LED and one green LED) powered with a 9V DC adapter. I've found the 2 lamps placed above or below the screen need to be separated at around 1/12 of the distance between the gamer and screen. For instance, if you are going to sit 15 feet away from the screen, you need to position the two side of IR LED lamp around 15" apart. Now I can use the WiiMote pointer over 20 ft away. The IR signal from the 6 LED of each side is getting too weak to be detected after 22-25ft. I've tested WiiPlay shooting game and Rayman Raving Rabbids.
Sweet!!! :cool: I would like to construct two IR sources each of which would be powered by two AA batteries and would have 5 IR LEDS. What type of resistor do you wthink I should use for the circuit? Can you give me any guidelines on what IR leds I should use and what type of resistor in this circuit? Thanx in advance

O.K. Quick question... Would placing a 45watt ir bulb in a reading lamp work? Please I dont know much about this stuff but I know they make IR bulbs. If you place an ir bulb in a ceilling fixture wouldnt this provide a huge increase in range?. I dont know if these bulbs produce any candescent light as well as IR but they go for 15 dollars u.s. for a 45 watt bulb? Has any one tried this? If not I'm curious enough to try myself.

I put 7 LED in serial to eliminate the need of resistor when powered by a 9V source. Each LEB needs a power drop of ~1.2V. If you want to use 2 AA batteries, you can put each 2 LEDs in serial and then parallel link 2 or 3 of these serial pairs together with power siurce. The problem is 2AA battery even at 2700mAh may not last very long when there are too many LEDs.
I got a 20pk IR LEDs from Dealextreme for $2.9 including shipping from HongKong to the US. The quality of the LED is okay but they have a shorter wavelength (~850nm?) that emits some visible red light. So the infrared signal from 6 of these LED is only on par with 2 LEDs from the original sensor bar (~940nm?).

As for the IR light bulb, 45Watt may be overkill and generate too much heat. Can you put a dimmer there? Even the IR spectrum from a 60W regular flood light can be detected by the WiiMote, so you really don't need that much power in the IR range.

Last edited:
So it could possibly work? hmm... My mom used these little Ir bulbs (little bigger than night lights) to warm her finches... they generated no discernable light but generated heat, but no more heat than a standard light-bulb. I may give her a ring and see if she has any laying about I can experiment with. If not I just may take a trip to my local pet-co. I have no issues with my infra-red scensor bar.. But I LOVE a good experiment. ;o). I'm a self proclaimed geek and proud of it. Maybe this can provide an easier solution than wiring up a home made Ir scensor bar.

Last edited:
Get a dimmer and turn the light down until it starts to blink on maximal setting in the calibration. The output of an IR light bulb may be to high for the WiiMote sensor. In addition, the IR light bulb may be too diffuse that it may only work when you are really far away from it.

For a detail report on my IR LED lamps, see my other thread.

Last edited:
Back