More Random ****

I just dont understand why Gays want to get married. I also really just dont understand what compels someone to be gay... It really makes no sense to me. What can be appealing about that?
I don't know what the attraction is, but I imagine a good number of gay people probably think the same thing about heterosexuals.

And isnt the reason people get married to create a homestead for children? How can they have children? Or are they all planning to adopt like Angelina Jolie?
There's adoption, asking a woman to be a surrogate mother, or artificial insemination from a sperm donor (for lesbians). Having children is by no means the only reason why people get married though.

You've been reduced to calling me gay? I expected better from you, Adam. :nono:

Nah, not you. There was this argument a while back. I said civil unions should be marriages with any references to God taken out of it, and Dave said he wanted a marriage, since it's been so universal that it doesn't really have any religious ties anymore anyway.

I think he was arguing it from an atheist side, rather than a gay side back then. I'm not discriminating against gays, since I think atheists shoudl have civil unions too.

Nah, not you. There was this argument a while back. I said civil unions should be marriages with any references to God taken out of it, and Dave said he wanted a marriage, since it's been so universal that it doesn't really have any religious ties anymore anyway.

I think he was arguing it from an atheist side, rather than a gay side back then. I'm not discriminating against gays, since I think atheists shoudl have civil unions too.
If you can have marriages for every religion under the sun, why not atheism? In fact, by banning atheist marriage, you'd be excluding many Buddhists from marrying. Believe it or not, a wedding does not have to involve the God of Abraham.

If you can have marriages for every religion under the sun, why not atheism? In fact, by banning atheist marriage, you'd be excluding many Buddhists from marrying. Believe it or not, a wedding does not have to involve the God of Abraham.

Buddhists shouldn't either. I'm sure Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, and others have their own ceremonies...

Nope. I'm plain, boring heterosexual.

I think the idea is that you would change the laws...

And why shouldn't they recieve the same benefits? Here in the UK a civil union entails exactly the same rights as a marriage, so it can work quite easily. And before anyone asks, the reason I think gay marriage should be allowed in the UK as well as civil unions is because I think gay couples have as much right to be "officially" married as heterosexuals.

How is being heterosexual boring? :eek:ut: If being heterosexual boring then is being gay fun?
In what country's is gay marriage legal?

How is being heterosexual boring? :eek:ut: If being heterosexual boring then is being gay fun?
I'm only joking. I say that because most people are heterosexual, so it's not particularly interesting.

In what country's is gay marriage legal?
According to Wikipedia: Canada, South Africa, the Netherlands, Belgium, Norway, Sweden, Spain, and the US states of Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Iowa.

Yes they do. Which raises the question: if people of different faiths can get married, why can't people of no faith?

They can, and it's called a civil union.

Atheists don't try to get Jewish weddings or Muslim weddings, it just so happens that the "traditional" marriage is a Christian one.

I'm only joking. I say that because most people are heterosexual, so it's not particularly interesting.

According to Wikipedia: Canada, South Africa, the Netherlands, Belgium, Norway, Sweden, Spain, and the US states of Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Iowa.

How isn't it interesting? :eek:ut:
Did you know that anyone could edit wikipedia and write whatever they want. I could edit it and say something dumb and not true. In my school they don't let you use wikipedia for homework or projects because of that, wikipedia is actually blocked.

They can, and it's called a civil union.
Many countries and states do not offer civil unions, including your home state of Michigan.

Atheists don't try to get Jewish weddings or Muslim weddings, it just so happens that the "traditional" marriage is a Christian one.
1) 2/3 of the world's population is not Christian.
2) Marriage was around before Christianity.
3) It's quite possible to have a marriage without referencing God.
4) Who gave religion the monopoly on marriage anyway?

How isn't it interesting? :eek:ut:
Don't read too much into it.

Did you know that anyone could edit wikipedia and write whatever they want. I could edit it and say something dumb and not true. In my school they don't let you use wikipedia for homework or projects because of that, wikipedia is actually blocked.
True, but most articles are sourced, and because of the large number of users, incorrect edits on large articles like same-sex marriage would get fixed quickly.

Many countries and states do not offer civil unions, including your home state of Michigan.

1) 2/3 of the world's population is not Christian.
2) Marriage was around before Christianity.
3) It's quite possible to have a marriage without referencing God.
4) Who gave religion the monopoly on marriage anyway?

I know, I'd vote it in though, if it was on the ballot.

1. Yeah.
2. Mhm.
3. Yep, but for some reason Atheists get up in arms when we ask that they refrain from saying "What God has put together" and such, because it's not "the traditional way", and if you ban them from using churches, it's also wrong...
4. When religion came up with it first?

3. Yep, but for some reason Atheists get up in arms when we ask that they refrain from saying "What God has put together" and such, because it's not "the traditional way", and if you ban them from using churches, it's also wrong...
I agree that churches should have the right to not marry atheists or gays if they don't want to, but at the same time atheists and gays should have every right to a civil marriage, since they are performed by the government rather than religious authorities.

4. When religion came up with it first?
By that logic, shouldn't all marriages be Hindu/Jewish/whichever religion came up with marriage first?

Back