Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Motion Sickness?

Discussion in 'Super Mario Galaxy' started by djroberts, Nov 26, 2007.

1. djroberts

djroberts WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 3065-1652-9879-4158
    3065-1652-9879-4158
    I'm hearing a lot of conflicting reports about this. People saying that the game makes folks very dizzy on the other hand a guy who get motion sickness from FPS games told me he had no issues.

Any concensus here? I don't want to buy it if it's going to make me sick. I get motion sickness from a lot of FPS games.

2. Chicagoan

Chicagoan Official Breeder.

Wii Friend Code: 0990-1391-2473-1732
    0990-1391-2473-1732
    huh? Sick???

Well... the second universe of the last dome, purple comet, made me totally "sick-mad-annoyed" It was damn hard to pick all 100 purple coins... I've lost around 50 lives in that stupid stage... and I had 119 starts... meaning that stage was sepparating me from Luigi... Regarding that... nop... never got sick (

3. islandvic

islandvic Smash Bros Enthusiast

Wii Friend Code: 3821-8336-1159-5327
    3821-8336-1159-5327
    I know what you are talking about, the first few times I played, and the gravity/camera thing does the loop de loop, it made me feel kind of wonky, but just for a second. Now I'm fine. Sometimes when my roommate watches me play it affects him lol.

4. Pnuts

Pnuts WiiChat Member

when i first picked up the control, I got a tiny bit dizzy as the camera etc went upside down as i chased a rabbit around the planet. After that and through the rest of the game everything was fine though.

-Pnuts

5. KyleForMe

KyleForMe Don't believe his lies.

Wii Friend Code: 5710-8093-1849-3803
    5710-8093-1849-3803
    My dad has that type of motion sickness. He has never been able to play, let alone watch a fps (always tried to get him to play Doom 2 deathmatch). However I was home this weekend and had him watch a few levels of SMG just to show off the game, and he said it wasn't bothering him. One of the first few levels, Egg something, is one of those shifty camera ones and he wasn't bothered.

If you find a way to try the game out before buying, don't base your judgment on just a few minutes of play. I have no history of motion sickness and I found the camera views on planet levels a little dizziating at first.

6. Chicagoan

Chicagoan Official Breeder.

Wii Friend Code: 0990-1391-2473-1732
    0990-1391-2473-1732
    Lol... I never got sick with this game

However, I got dizzy with Dry Dry Wet World (from Super Mario 64)
    Also, it was easy to get sick playing it in 1st person.

7. fastharry

fastharry fastharry

hey guys...

the game made me slightly dizzy, until I got used to it....but NOTHING like the orange box did on the 360.......Half life 2 actually made me sick for 3 days......after only 10 minutes of play...I actually brought the game back.......

try sitting further back from the TV..and leaving lights on also helps....

8. KateKruger

KateKruger FreddyKrugersWoman

i have this game and it doesnt make me dizzy a game has never made me dizzy its strange

9. wolfsocr20

wolfsocr20 WiiChat Member

it made me dizzy at first but i got used to it. i only got dizzy cause i don't really play games like this a lot and the camera threw me off

10. KateKruger

KateKruger FreddyKrugersWoman

ahh well you see i'm a game addict thats proberbly why

11. Rain Foxx

Maybe if you ate too much chilly dogs before you played the game. Really thought how could you get dizzy im perfectly fine(but thats me!) maybe for people wiith weaker stomachs.

12. killik119

killik119 Quality Control.

Wii Friend Code: 3480-6187-2679-2938
    3480-6187-2679-2938
    Well, motion sickness has actually got alot more to with the brain than the stomach. Something to do with the eyes confusing the body's balance. So your dad, has to either focus on mario alone, or just look at the screen and not concentrate too much.

And no, don't get motion sickness from SMG.

13. Kherrek508

Kherrek508 Sleeping. Do not disturb.

Wii Friend Code: 0215-4972-1267-8022
    0215-4972-1267-8022

I got motion sickness when I had my spine ripped out to a resounding "FATALITY"...

14. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Unofficial WiiChat Helper

Wii Friend Code: 7114-5214-3386-2022
    7114-5214-3386-2022
    Only motion sickness i ever experienced on the Wii was when i first started playing super mario galaxy but that went away after about 10 min of playing its because of all the upside down stuff :p

15. romj

romj WiiChat Member

Most of the game has no up-down reference and the camara and point of view will change a lot. You may get very motion sick playing Super Mario Galaxy. But you know what? the experiece of playing it is WORTH it, Haha!

Some tips to lesson the misery: Get some cough drops and suck on them as you play. (The menthol in them sooths nausia)

Make ginger root tea and drink it.

Don't eat much before a play session.

Don't be overly tired when you play, your brain will black out.

If you feel cruddy, stop playing and go lay down.

When I first started playing it, I got soo sick. I felt horrible, all nauseated, shaky, wabbly and disoriented. Bad feeling indeed. But it seems that I have adjusted to it. As long as I keep my play sessions short, I'm ok.

#15 romj, Dec 8, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  16. romj

romj WiiChat Member

Here is an exerpt from Wikpedia about motion sickness and simulator sickness.

"(...)Simulation sickness

Simulation sickness, or simulator sickness, is a condition where a person exhibits symptoms similar to motion sickness caused by playing computer/simulation/video games.

The most common theory for the cause of simulation sickness is that the illusion of motion created by the virtual world, combined with the absence of motion detected by the inner ear, causes the area postrema in the brain to infer that one is hallucinating and further conclude that the hallucination is due to poison ingestion. The brain responds by inducing nausea and vomiting, to clear the supposed toxin.[6] According to this theory, simulation sickness is just another form of motion sickness.

The symptoms are often described as quite similar to that of motion sickness. Some can range from headache, drowsiness, nausea, dizziness, vomiting and sweating. A research done at the University of Minnesota had students play Halo for less than an hour, and found that up to 50 percent felt sick afterwards.[7]

In a study conducted by U.S. Army Research Institute for the Behavioral and Social Sciences in a report published May 1995 titled "Technical Report 1027 - Simulator Sickness in Virtual Environments", out of 742 pilot exposures from 11 military flight simulators, "approximately half of the pilots (334) reported post-effects of some kind: 250 (34%) reported that symptoms dissipated in less than 1 hour, 44 (6%) reported that symptoms lasted longer than 4 hours, and 28 (4%) reported that symptoms lasted longer than 6 hours. There were also 4 (1%) reported cases of spontaneously occurring flashbacks".[8][9]

Many gamers also suffer motion sickness after playing the computer games like Half Life 2 and many other first person shooters that encompass physics into their gameplay. This has been reported on various game forums.(...)"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_sickness

#16 romj, Dec 8, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  17. sagema

sagema 3D Artist

Wii Friend Code: 4496-9128-1304-3457
    4496-9128-1304-3457
    I do get motion sickness on zome FPS games. I think another factor is the frame rate and lighting. Star Wars Episode 2 made me sick. Nintendo was aware of this and as far as I can tell Mario Galaxy is very pleasent on the eyes. If you liked Zelda TP you'll adore this game too. They are different games, but you can feel the Miyamoto touch on both.

And yes, Halo first player mode made me sick after 30 mins.

18. South Park

South Park Timmy!!

*Beware Noob Question* Whats FPS?

19. romj

romj WiiChat Member

First Person Shooter.

Gears or War and Halo are first person shooters.

20. metroidman

metroidman #1 Metroid fan

:mad2: :mad2: :incazzato: wats your prblem mp3 is a fps!