Motion Sickness?

Here is an exerpt from Wikpedia about motion sickness and simulator sickness.

"(...)Simulation sickness

Simulation sickness, or simulator sickness, is a condition where a person exhibits symptoms similar to motion sickness caused by playing computer/simulation/video games.

The most common theory for the cause of simulation sickness is that the illusion of motion created by the virtual world, combined with the absence of motion detected by the inner ear, causes the area postrema in the brain to infer that one is hallucinating and further conclude that the hallucination is due to poison ingestion. The brain responds by inducing nausea and vomiting, to clear the supposed toxin.[6] According to this theory, simulation sickness is just another form of motion sickness.

The symptoms are often described as quite similar to that of motion sickness. Some can range from headache, drowsiness, nausea, dizziness, vomiting and sweating. A research done at the University of Minnesota had students play Halo for less than an hour, and found that up to 50 percent felt sick afterwards.[7]

In a study conducted by U.S. Army Research Institute for the Behavioral and Social Sciences in a report published May 1995 titled "Technical Report 1027 - Simulator Sickness in Virtual Environments", out of 742 pilot exposures from 11 military flight simulators, "approximately half of the pilots (334) reported post-effects of some kind: 250 (34%) reported that symptoms dissipated in less than 1 hour, 44 (6%) reported that symptoms lasted longer than 4 hours, and 28 (4%) reported that symptoms lasted longer than 6 hours. There were also 4 (1%) reported cases of spontaneously occurring flashbacks".[8][9]

Many gamers also suffer motion sickness after playing the computer games like Half Life 2 and many other first person shooters that encompass physics into their gameplay. This has been reported on various game forums.(...)"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_sickness

Last edited:
I do get motion sickness on zome FPS games. I think another factor is the frame rate and lighting. Star Wars Episode 2 made me sick. Nintendo was aware of this and as far as I can tell Mario Galaxy is very pleasent on the eyes. If you liked Zelda TP you'll adore this game too. They are different games, but you can feel the Miyamoto touch on both.

And yes, Halo first player mode made me sick after 30 mins.

Camera Angles might make you a little dizzy, but that wore off really fast. But then again, i have never had any history of motion/simulation sickness.

the guy who gets motion sickness from fps shooters probably means he has sesuires from the bullets.lol

metroidman said:
:mad2: :mad2: :incazzato: wats your prblem mp3 is a fps!

I didn't meantion is cuz MPS is so diferent from a true FPS. I see it as more of of an adventure with FPS elements.

Back