mp3 vs mp4

• Thread starter The_Loose_Cannon
  • Start date
T

The_Loose_Cannon

whats the difference? i saw an mp4 player the other day and i never even heard of it.

can someone tell me what mp4's are? (i know what mp3s are! im stupid but not that stupid :ciappa: lol)

thanks guys!

the iPod video is an MP4 player. MP4 is just like an MP3 but it plays video's also. most MP4 players just say they play video because the general public doesnt know what an MP4 is

isn't Mp4 also audio? Cause Mp3 stands for MPEG-3 while Mp4 stands for MPEG-4. I also heard that Mp4 supports video, images, subtitles, etc. There both different in size and quality of music. Also correct me if I'm wrong.

~Rival

thats what i thought, but what if the mp3 player says "mp4" on it? does that mean you cant transfer your mp3s on an mp4 player? its all so greek to me.

whats even weirder is that it doesnt have video playback on that mp3 player?

so confusing.....

With my ipod video I have to convert video to mp4 so my understanding is Video is mp4 audio mp3

Off to the wiki

MP3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3
it said:
MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3, more commonly referred to as MP3, is a popular digital audio encoding, lossy compression format, and algorithm, designed to greatly reduce the amount of data required to represent audio, yet still sound like a faithful reproduction of the original uncompressed audio to most listeners. It was invented by a team of European engineers of Philips, CCETT (Centre commun d'études de télévision et télécommunications), IRT and Fraunhofer Society, who worked in the framework of the EUREKA 147 DAB digital radio research program, and it became an ISO/IEC standard in 1991.

MP4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mp4
MPEG-4 Part 14, formally ISO/IEC 14496-14:2003, is a multimedia container format standard specified as a part of MPEG-4. It is most commonly used to store digital audio and digital video streams, especially those defined by MPEG, but can also be used to store other data such as subtitles and still images. Like most modern container formats, MPEG-4 Part 14 allows streaming over the Internet. The official filename extension for MPEG-4 Part 14 files is .mp4, thus the container format is often referred to simply as MP4. Devices that play .mp4 files are referred to as MP4 players.

this is where i saw the mp4 player, this is the video one that is like the "ipod video" and if you read the discription, it says it plays mp3s too

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2286

then theres THIS one that i was reffering to, this is the "nano type" one

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2045

this has no overview like the one above

**DISCLAIMER- not to be mistaken as advertising, but to be used as a help example- what you do on that site and buy is at your own disgression**

Id go for number one
It has a sd card slot (so you can put loads more music (or anime if your me) on it)
(about £30)

DRMARIO said:
TLC, You're really going to buy one of those?? They look so odd!

lmao in all serious-ness, i thought about it cause its so cheap just for sh*ts and giggles.

i initially went to the site to get a laser pointer for work and then looked at all the random things that they had on the site (also they have gun mounts and things that i thought about buying too).

i think it looked kinda cool hahaha. its a "novelty" and for 63$$? hey if it breaks in a month its money well spent. i refuse to spend 400$ on an ipod lol.

DONT BUY THAT PLAYER!!!! my friend got one and it was HORRIBLE. the sound sucked and the screen was very blurry, also the controlls are VERY messed up. its not even worth $10 IMO

Mitch2025 said:
DONT BUY THAT PLAYER!!!! my friend got one and it was HORRIBLE. the sound sucked and the screen was very blurry, also the controlls are VERY messed up. its not even worth $10 IMO

sh*t that sucks!

but then again, what do you expect for some made in china sweat shop mp3 player?

in truth, i really just want it for the mp3s. im looking to get a new one (my olympus mrobe is DOA and its a 5g i loved that thing :( )

i just thought it was quite interesting to see so many funtions in an mp3 player for sooo cheap

eta- gun supply shopping somehow ties in with mp3 playes....so odd! oh well new egg here i come mitch!

PtonJalken said:
Ill stick to my CD-Player :p
lol, ive busted so many mp3 players xD (cheap ones)

sounds familiar lol but my cdplayer is like 50 years old (well not really) i gotta update and get with the times.

another reason as to why i want something so damn cheap is because i dont care if it gets lost either.....

cops have sticky fingers ive heard alot of stories of things "missing" in the locker rooms so if i lose this, it wont make me go crazy insane and have to go around jack bauer styles accusing everyone lol. i can just "buy another one"

i think i might just do it even though mitch said its awefully crappy....whats the worst that can happen? its only 60 some odd dollars. no true dent in my wallet.

DRMARIO said:
Why don't you buy a refurbished iPod if you're looking for something cheap??
I mean, even though theyre refurbished, they'll still work just as well!

No dont do it
There are better Mp3/other players out there (Some that are cheaper)