mp4 issues

T

The_Loose_Cannon

in a nut shell, i bought those mp3/4 players from that website that i made a thread on a while ago. they came in the mail recently and mine works fine. no problems and its a total breeze :)

BUT! my bf is the one thats causing all the problems! first brawny had to teach me how to format the MP3 player on my computer because a file wouldnt delete on it....THEN i wanted to watch a movie on it and all the formats ive tried keep comming up as "file format error"

ive tried AVI which is what it SAYS it supports. then i tried AMV which is the same as what mine takes. and then lastly i did MTV and it still doesnt work!

what am i doing wrong?? :wtf:

someones gotta figure out the right format for my mp4 player!

http://www.uxcell.com/uxcell/retail/item/showItemLayout.php?action=showItem&id=mv0wht2048mp059

The_Loose_Cannon said:
ive tried AVI which is what it SAYS it supports. then i tried AMV which is the same as what mine takes. and then lastly i did MTV and it still doesnt work!
Depends what format of AVI. Some things work with DivX. If that's the case with the player in question, you can use a format conversion program (tonnes of free ones around, virtuadub, Bink and Smacker etc...) to convert it. If it doesn't support DivX, try a different format, such as Microsoft codec 1 or even uncompressed - but watch out for the file size! Those things CAN be huge! Also, you might try MPEG 4 video codec or something...

Hope that helps. I don't really know too much about mp4 formats...

Squall7 said:
Depends what format of AVI. Some things work with DivX. If that's the case with the player in question, you can use a format conversion program (tonnes of free ones around, virtuadub, Bink and Smacker etc...) to convert it. If it doesn't support DivX, try a different format, such as Microsoft codec 1 or even uncompressed - but watch out for the file size! Those things CAN be huge! Also, you might try MPEG 4 video codec or something...

Hope that helps. I don't really know too much about mp4 formats...

i didnt know that there were different types of AVI files. basically what i did was grab a file off of one of the torrent sites and left it in its original state which was AVI and then put it in my E drive (IE the mp3 player) and then it came up as file error.

MPEG 4 is the format for the ipod right? that might work......the only programs i have to convert are just to DVD.....excet for one program cucusoft. that does MPEG 1 and 2 and others.

if you know a really good one even if its not "FREE" let me know. i might just have to reformat the AVI then i guess.....

DOUBLE POST!!!

and not caring <3

anyways squal i just downloaded bink....NOW WHAT??!!?! lol im converting to AVI format....where is it spitting it out to when its done??????

The_Loose_Cannon said:
DOUBLE POST!!!

and not caring <3

anyways squal i just downloaded bink....NOW WHAT??!!?! lol im converting to AVI format....where is it spitting it out to when its done??????
You can choose the destination, click the file you want to convert, press convert (lol), then at the top, it should say something like "Output file". You can rename the file if you want to keep the original. Then it should have a "browse" button there somewhere. Then when you click on convert (so long as you've got the output file type set to AVI), a box should tell you what codecs are available. Select one of the one's I stated in my previous post, and that should be that.

Squall7 said:
You can choose the destination, click the file you want to convert, press convert (lol), then at the top, it should say something like "Output file". You can rename the file if you want to keep the original. Then it should have a "browse" button there somewhere. Then when you click on convert (so long as you've got the output file type set to AVI), a box should tell you what codecs are available. Select one of the one's I stated in my previous post, and that should be that.

hmmm so far its 95% done, turns out it spit out into my desktop which is fine i guess lol

well see what happends when i put it on my mp3 player....hmmm very curious

Given that it says Vista in capital letters on the toolbar and given that Vista seems to be one of the most Nazi OS's ever when it comes to the types of file it wants to play properly (at least in the form of multimedia; doesn't it have severe problems with a bunch of the main graphics systems because Microsoft wanna force their frmat down everyone's throat?) I think you could have some problems.

Basically, unless you actually have Vista, you shouldn't by anything made to be specifically compatible with Vista, but since you have just throw every possible Microsoft filetype at it. You should be able to get a converter quite easily from Google :S

Omg! Why Is It 4g?!?!

griever, its not windows vista :(

its vista the MP3 model. i got confused at first too but im running this mp3 player on windows XP

That's the point.

MS have tried very hard to make Vista push out non-Microsoft formats whereas XP doesn't try so hard to do so. That's the main reason I run XP when I could've gotten Vista for free. The problem is that it makes Vista-ready periphials a bit screwy when it comes to interacting with other Windows systems - especially when it comes to Multimedia.

Griever said:
That's the point.

MS have tried very hard to make Vista push out non-Microsoft formats whereas XP doesn't try so hard to do so. That's the main reason I run XP when I could've gotten Vista for free. The problem is that it makes Vista-ready periphials a bit screwy when it comes to interacting with other Windows systems - especially when it comes to Multimedia.

youre missing the point, this has nothing to do with the vista for microsoft. its just the name of the MP3 player. it has no relation to the actual MS program.

but to be a bit off topic, i wouldnt get vista at all because it has been nothing but crappy from day one

now back to my mp3 formats, why did my thing come out to 4G? is that because it was uncompressed? i compressed it to WMA would that help? its still an AVI file though

The page you linked to sorta gave the impression it was configured for compatability with Vista but whatever. I still think you should just throw every possible Microsoft format at it. Hell. put the video into Windows Movie Maker and resave it in WMM's default format and try that xD

Griever said:
The page you linked to sorta gave the impression it was configured for compatability with Vista but whatever. I still think you should just throw every possible Microsoft format at it. Hell. put the video into Windows Movie Maker and resave it in WMM's default format and try that xD

lol thats pretty much what im doing just going at my own risk here, now that i know how to clear out the ENTIRE unit now i got nothing to worry about.

i just am so frustrated with the damn thing that it wont work on the formats it says it will!!!! yarp!!!

The_Loose_Cannon said:
now back to my mp3 formats, why did my thing come out to 4G? is that because it was uncompressed? i compressed it to WMA would that help? its still an AVI file though
Yeah, sounds like it's uncompressed (either that, or the video is the entirity of the Lord Of the Rings trilogy). WMA, if I'm not mistaken is a audio format. Have you tried MPEG-4 codec? (That's if you have it). If you don't have it, something like K-Lite Mega Codec Pack may have it included (It's free).

Also, computer stores have virtually stopped selling XP systems now. Considering Vista has so many compatibility faults (so I've heard), I think it's really crappy move from Microsoft. I can see a lot of PC's gathering dust on store shelves...

...except for the gullible people. They'll buy them...

its Windows Media Player im sorry not WMA. my bad :(

anyways, ill try that too.....it was an episode of scrubs that i converted and it went to 4G :yikes:

it was uncompressed so what should i change it to?

Back