Multiple Wii in the same wifi area...

m7ticalm

WiiChat Member
Aug 5, 2006
Australia, Perth
Wii Online Code
0287-9971-6660-4138
Hey, do u think wii's will be able to connect to each other through wifi if they are close to each other without connecting to the internet? Pretend u had a lan party and someone brought their wii into a different room, do u think they could connect without the internet?

From a technical point of view i'm sure it would be possible as the wifi function is merely replacing cables. Lets hope its implemented.

m7ticalm said:
Hey, do u think wii's will be able to connect to each other through wifi if they are close to each other without connecting to the internet? Pretend u had a lan party and someone brought their wii into a different room, do u think they could connect without the internet?
Actually, it's almost definite.
wikipedia said:
Wii also can communicate and connect with other Wii systems by wireless LAN, enabling local wireless multiplayer on different television sets.
Source

Although it doesn't have a reference bit...

I'm still pretty sure you can do that though. :cool:

considering that the ds can connect to the Wii with out any trouble, most likely the Wiis will be able to connect to each other also especially since the default connection setups will be the same, might need friends codes though, hopefully you can make your system open to any requests for multiplayer.

Sweet!

Reminds me of hooking up four xboxes with 16 of my friends to play Halo2, wires going up and down the stairs to a single router, 3 tvs and 1 projector :lol:! LAN parties are so much fun. Even better with the wii too, since online play is free. Hopefully we can set up our own servers

Gosh, I hope they allow for system link, wireless or otherwise (although wireless would be best). I know there were a few Gamecube games that allowed you to connect atleast one two Gamecubes together, a.k.a. Mario Kart: DD. We could see alot more 16 player games if they do this.

Even if there isn't wireless system link, you could still bring your Wii over to a friends house and with a wireless router connected to the internet, you would be able to have a pretty nice LAN party. But, personally, I don't want to have to be online to have a LAN party, so wireless system link would be great!

the wii wiill most likely use something similar to the ds download play feature, except called wii-connect/download-play

i dont know.

Mmm... it's a difficult question... what I think will happen is that you can use 2 TV's, and use 2 wii's, then you can play for example 8 player's Red Steel multiplayer etc...

registerednerd said:
if nothing else, you could get a router in on the mix and just exchange friend codes (if they use them). Then you could play over the typical WFC, just all in the same room.
yup, best way prolly

Even though this thread is almost a month old, I'll address it due to it not being another mundane question.

Nintendo describes WiiConnect24 as such:

The Wii console can communicate with the Internet even when the power is turned off. The WiiConnect24 service delivers a new surprise or game update, even if the system is idle.

What they don't tell you, however, is that WiiConnect24 is also the foundation for what is called a meshed network. Mesh networking is a system in which a backbone(ie; similar to the one that connects everyone online) is created by routing everyone on a single network as if each of them were a node.

Every node can connect to a number of other nodes, and those nodes connect to each other as well. This forms a stronger backbone than if you had a dedicated server that everyone connects to, due to the fact that if one node goes down, the bonds between the others stay active, whereas, if a single server goes down, that's that.

How Nintendo can utilize this could be similar to MIT's Grid or LocustWorld, where in users form a backbone to share internet connections, strengthening connections to each other and alleviating load on the internet.

Using this method, they not only increase the scalability of their own network(allowing them to deliver content faster, create online experiences that don't suffer from lag, and provide an overall cheap method of multiplayer online gaming), but also the communal network of Wii owners.

I can't wait! 5 of my friends are getting a Wii (hopefully) and i hope there will be some sort of system linking on red steel

I would think it would act like the DS, it can automaticly connect without Wi-Fi or anything if they are near eachother.

Back