Music and Video

The Man on Ice
Dec 30, 2007
Canada
It states in the manual about the Wii being able to play certain music and video files, problem is- I can't recall them actually explaining how. Could anyone point me as to how I could once I had the appropriate file extensions on my SD card? Thanks.

You will need to have your movie on your hard drive in a DivX, Avi, MPG or MOV format. A good way to convert movie files into one of these formats would be to use a program such as Virtual Dub. Virtual Dub is a free program and can be downloaded here.

Once your movie is in one of the formats mentioned you will need to use a program called Wii Video 9.

Wii Video 9 is a free program and can be downloaded here.

Once your movie is in the correct format using the above programs you will need to put the movie on an SD card. The output of the file will not be compressed so you will need to have a rather large SD card. The Wii only supports up to 2GB but I would not use anything lower than a 1GB card. The prices of flash memory have dropped in price so you should have no problem finding a 2GB SD card for around $40.

Now all you need to do is insert the SD card into your Wii and go to the Photo Channel. Select "watch movie" and you are set.

Thanks, so I take it everything media-wise is accessed through the photo-channel?

Also, is there any converter for music because my mp3. and wma formats don't seem to work at all.

261311 said:
Thanks, so I take it everything media-wise is accessed through the photo-channel?

Also, is there any converter for music because my mp3. and wma formats don't seem to work at all.

convert them to

.aac

261311 said:

Yeah, as of now all media is through the Photo Channel. And, the new version (1.1) of the Photo Channel doesn't support MP3 play. It only supports MOV, AVI videos, and AAC (MP4) audio. If you updated your Photo Channel, you can delete the update in your Wii menu settings and it will restore the old version that supports MP3s. But if you bought your Wii recently, you can't go back to the old version, so you're stuck with the 1.1 version that only supports AAC audio. You just have to convert all of your music to AAC format.

SuperWii_7 said:
Is it true Wii Video 9 is only for PC?
Yeah, none of these things actually run on the Wii b/c it doesn't have a hard drive or OS. These programs are only for converting videos on your computer so they can be saved to an SD card and played on the Wii via the Photo Channel.

Just install win amp remote on your computer. it streams all your media files (video and music, no matte what extension it is) on the wii web browser.

the bad thing about the amp thing is that you have to have a computer running while you access it on the wii....which is kinda dumb...you have to go back and forth and out what u what you want on the normal computer...then go back to the wii and find it

well, it's streaming you files so of course you need the pc on. besides, a lot of people just leave their pc's on and you can stream it on any web browser.
besides, those music and video files are already on the computer so what would be the point of watching on the wii?

Back