My 30-min Play Review of POTC3: At World´s End

rtr1900

Wii or not to Wii
Nov 30, 2006
Spain
Wii Online Code
3085-1225-3534-6165
Last friday, 25th of May 2007, was launchday for the game Pirates of The Caribbean: At world´s End.As a fan of the movies I went directly after work to the local gamestore to get the game.
So here is my 30-minutes play review of the game.

The first thing I was impressed was that Disney made it possible that the game (bought in Spain) comes in several languages (English, French, Italian,, german and Spanish), 1 subtitle (Dutch) and the manual in the local language (here in Spanish). So for a non-spanish person living in Spain, this is great! Also the voices in English are much better than the dubbed ones.

So after sliding the DVD, which btw looks like a real DVD-movie with its logo of the skull, in the Wii we get to see the Ship The Black Pearl sailing the sea. Then we press the A button to get the main menu. If you let it play some while you get a tour around the ship. Very nice done.

So after reading the manual in 5 minutes (you should take more time to read it, but I just couldn´t wait, so I just read the most important parts of it) I started playing the game.

The game takes you among the 2 latest movies of the saga. The first level is the prison level of the second movie. Here you have to escape from it. The game tells you bit by bit during playing all the movements you can do with the nunchuck and the remote. And I must say that I was impressed of the use of both of them. In the beginning it is weird using them, but after 20 minutes playing you get the grid of it and will use them without problem.

Some parts of the game you just have to push the "C" button and you will see some animation of the character doing stuff, so there is no interactive in any way. Also there are some parts which are called "jackanismos", where you see Jack Sparrow and in the left botton of the screen you see which button you have to press to get Jack doing his funny stuff with the local people, just like in the movie. Maybe the older players under us remember the game "Dragons Lair" from the arcades, well it is something like.

The game has a lot to do with swordfighting, so don´t think it has more in it like solving puzzle or stuff likethat. The GFX are very good, I could almost say "GREAT", but as the Wii is still in his first months I rather say Very good. I loved the GFX, they really give you a feeling that you are in the movie.Especially the light that comes in the dungeons seems like the light when Barbossa showed Elisabeth in the second movie that he was really a ghost. Also the Sound is great, all the voices are from most of the cast, except the major ones (Jack, Will and Elisabeth). But although they are not the real voices, the guy who dubs Jack his voice is just great, you almost don´t know the difference. The voice of Will could have been better.

At this moment I managed to get to level 3, Port Royal, where I had to save some French Pirate. As the game has parts of the last 2 movies, you might get some spoilers in the game before you will see the movie. But I wouldn´t worry much about that, I am sure you´ll love the movie. I also have to see the movie.

During playing the game there are some subgames like Playing poker or with the dice (the famous game of the second movie), so you cam earn/loose some money. This way you can get your mind away from the swordfighting I
guess.

The game can be saved after each level. There are three slots to save the data.

The game is rated, 12+, which is good. Althought younger children 10+ may play it also, you don´t see any blood or stuff like that.

The manual is good. It tells you all the stuff needed, nothing more nothing less. And it looks like the DVD booklet of the movies. Really cool detail of Disney.

Result:

After playing for 30 minutes POTC3: At World´s End I can say that the game is great. It has good GFX and great sound. The control using the nunchuck and the remote is very well done, it does needs some practise, but after playing some time you will like it more and find it normal using it. It has a great touch using some subgames like the poker and the dice. Also some people will ask you help to find someone or help them to steal rum, and you might or not help them, like the real Jack would do. Like we could expect the humor of Jack is present, his funny comments are always around the corner.
The animation of the game is great, also the GFX and the sound. It really gives you the feeling that you are in the movie, playing Jack or Will ( I believe you can play also Elisabeth, but I have´t got that far).
Some people write/tell that it needs a multiplayer option. Well I don´t believe it does, it is a swordgame and it doesn´t need that. Althought you can play with two people for some duels, which you will be unlocking during the gameplay. What I really would like to see is a shipbattle.... but as I haven´t finished the game I can´t say that it isn´t in it, maybe it is :)

GFX: 8.0/10
SFX: 8.7/10
GamePlay: 8.0/10

Overall: 8.2/10

Price game: Between 55,95€ and 59,95€

I can recommend the game to any POTC fan and to those who like the adventure and swordgames. I don´t think it is a game for the FPS fans, as it won´t give you any of that stuff.

Well I hope that this review (first ever review made by me) can help you a bit in buying or not the game.

If you like it then click on my reputation button on the left..... hope to make some other reviews very soon.....

Last edited:
So how is the balance between actual motions and motions in-game? Is it something like Zelda? Thanks for writing your review. I played the game on a 360 and it was just mashing one button, one opponent at a time even though it was 1 on 3, which was boring.

very nice review...

he convenced me, I am buying the game, and I had no intention on buying it...

Thx wiifreak9292 and Pros!

Pros, yes it is somethig like Zelda. For example a sequence:
- Swing remote L+R,Swing remote L+R,Swing remote Up or down, results in a double swing Left/right + a vertical swing (I hope you understand what I mean). Now if you block (using Z) and then when someone attack and you step away on the right moment, that guys falls/passes you and you kick him in the but (very handy if you need to put someone in a pot of fire, hihihi)

They attack in groups. Althought there are three guys, they attack me from different possitions, and esepcially if you try to run they attack you from the back.
Even in Port Royal, when the red and blue coats attack me, they do it together.... Hope this answers your question:wink:

Mau said:
very nice review...

he convenced me, I am buying the game, and I had no intention on buying it...

I am sure you´ll like, especially if your a fan of POTC, then you have that Pirate (read Jack Sparrow) spirit in you...... And let us all be honest.... who doesn´t want to be Jack Sparrow........:yesnod:

wampa said:
sounds great now what do I buy tommrrow?

Zelda,cod3,this

Zelda: Great adventure and also very long gameplay. If you ever loved Zelda on the previous machines, then you will love it. Be aware, it is not a game that you can pick up for a 15 min play. It requires much more time every time you play it

COD3: If you like the wargames, than this one is a must. there is also another one MOH, the difference between them is that MOH has some better details in GFX. But most of the reviews tell COD is better. Be aware that COD has some bugs in it that at certain points of the game you start turning around like a fool. And so the enemy can eassy kill you. Beside of that, the game is GREAT. Although in mho a bit short. ANd also the Online option isn´t there while all the other machines (XBOX, PS3,... have it) Shame shame
If you ever had Battlefield 1942 on the PC, than you´ll love this game....
After a while you can almost feel the fear and the bullets flying around your ears...

POTC3: Well this is something like COD but set back in the time of the pirates. And don´t forget, here you can play Jack Sparrow.....

My conclusion:
It is a difficult choice to choose from. If you like to play every day when you come home from work/school for just 30 minutes. Then I would go with COD3/POTC3 (between them just choose the one you love the most). Now, if you have the time for playing (I haven´t, so my Zelda is gathering dust since last x-mas,... sad, but reality) and like adventure with puzzles and fighting monsters from the woods, get Zelda....
And if you would buy them all three this year, I personally would go:

1)POTC3
2)COD3
3)ZELDA

Hope this might have helped you.... Is you don´t forget to click me:wink: thx

Thanks dude

So its between Potc3 and COD3 Love COd on the Pc. Hard choice. Just wish I could rent them both and make a choice but cant do that around my way.

Might go for POTC3 just cause I havent played it.

Anyone played Farcry? Loved this also on the PC.

wampa said:
Thanks dude

So its between Potc3 and COD3 Love COd on the Pc. Hard choice. Just wish I could rent them both and make a choice but cant do that around my way.

Might go for POTC3 just cause I havent played it.

Anyone played Farcry? Loved this also on the PC.

I choose COD3 above Farcry, because it gives you more the thrills of the real war. I think that Farcry is good, but I always need to have a story in a game so it keeps me coming back.

And the one you would buy, well you said it yourself that you loved COD on your PC, so I would then go for POTC3, as it is something different.

Last edited:
Back