My first impressions with a 360

Eif87

WiiChat Member
Nov 27, 2006
OK so, today I finally went to my friends house to play with his Xbox 360 (first time I've ever sat down and played one). He has a top of the line setup...60 something inch HD TV and latest surround sound, so naturally I was thinking "sweet, this will blow the pants right off of me!"...How disappointed I was. Now, don't get me wrong, when he popped in Gears of War, the graphics were good. They weren't mind boggling, but they were good. The thing is, I don't understand what all the hype is about it. They have NO effect on the game play at all, and after the first 5 minutes of playing, the graphics effect wore off and I quickly got bored with the game as we played. The whole time, my friend kept saying "dude, aren't these graphics awesome!", and that was the only thing he was focused on. A few days ago, I was wondering if maybe an Xbox 360 would be more enjoyable than my Wii, but now I'm convinced: Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, beats my Wii. It's just plain fun, and personally the graphics look just as good on the Wii as they do on a 360. Anyway, just my two cents worth.

Interesting points, I've only had minor experience with the 360 myself. Personally, if you can tear yourself away from 'good graphics = good game' mentality, and I think PC users over the years have gotten more used to this (lets face it, no matter how good your rig, there's always a game that cannot play it on its best settings) than console users (generalisation I know but still!), that the quality of a console is fast becoming what top games can be sold on it. The few 'guaranteed instant hits' (metal gear solid, gran turismo, pro evo, GTA to name a few) is more whats drawing people to consoles, and its hard for others to bust this competition open. The Wii is doing very well, but my fear is that a year down the line, game quality and interest will drop off compared to the sheer amount released on the 360/PS3, until you are left with a few 'hardcore' members (a lá Dreamcast). I agree with what you stated yourself, graphics don't sell a game for me, its the quality (i still play Frontier Elite II occasionally!)

I think you misunderstood something. You cannot say Gears of war is fun unless you are expert at it. It isn't something like wii sports that you can just play and say good or bad. Gears of war is all about skill that 0.1 sec counts!

Beside, I haven't seen any fun wii game yet. It's all about cooking mama...LOL.

I don't know, I don't see how you can argue a few friends and some beers + Wii sports isn't fun :D its early days for the Wii, how long has the 360 been out now?

Hi I have both an XBox 360 and Nintendo Wii. My 360 has never been set up on hd as after seeing what it slightly improved the graphics i didnt bother. But I understand what Eif87 is saying as the Wii is just pure fun where as the 360 is.... well just not. My uncle has his Wii on HD and after seeing that I am considering getting my wii hooked up as it looks really good.

ah thank you for this post, I was actually fearing the same thing and now it's confirmed :) no xbox360 for meh :)

This forum section is for talking about Wii (Cant u reed) There is an XBOX section post there!!!!!!!!!!

You must've been playing some shiddy looking 360 games. Most of the good ones blow the Wii away its not even funny and BTW I have both. You need to play Viva Pinata, it makes Super Mario Galaxy look like a dreamcast game.

BTW I'm not talking about HD 360 graphics, even without HD 360 blows the Wii away in graphics.

Last edited:
Ummn yeah not sure I agree with that. Why do people have to sh*t all over the Wii and its graphics. WE KNOW its not nearly as powerful as the 360 and we're fine with it. God you don't need to insult it every chance you get.

As for Viva Pinata it does look like a great game. I'm looking at it on IGN right now actually. Thinking about adding it to my list of 360 must haves. Or maybe I'll wait until Spore makes it way to gaming consoles...so many decisions.

Eif87 said:
OK so, today I finally went to my friends house to play with his Xbox 360 (first time I've ever sat down and played one). He has a top of the line setup...60 something inch HD TV and latest surround sound, so naturally I was thinking "sweet, this will blow the pants right off of me!"...How disappointed I was. Now, don't get me wrong, when he popped in Gears of War, the graphics were good. They weren't mind boggling, but they were good. The thing is, I don't understand what all the hype is about it. They have NO effect on the game play at all, and after the first 5 minutes of playing, the graphics effect wore off and I quickly got bored with the game as we played. The whole time, my friend kept saying "dude, aren't these graphics awesome!", and that was the only thing he was focused on. A few days ago, I was wondering if maybe an Xbox 360 would be more enjoyable than my Wii, but now I'm convinced: Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, beats my Wii. It's just plain fun, and personally the graphics look just as good on the Wii as they do on a 360. Anyway, just my two cents worth.
i think you were actually expecting to be not impressed so that is what happened, you mentally blocked it out:wink:

btw i find 360 more fun than the wii and its gameplay to be better

bootstrap said:
ah thank you for this post, I was actually fearing the same thing and now it's confirmed :) no xbox360 for meh :)

Just because I said the graphics aren't great doesn't mean that you will reach the same conclusion. Everybody has different tastes; what might be good for me could be amazing for you :p

I am getting the 360 I like 360 games better FEAR Obvilion (spelled it wrong) Gears of War Fight night and others that will be coming The wii does have its advantages but that will be my second console

A motion controller can make gameplay worse. It can actually make it worse because it becomes more personal. Take wii sports golf. When making a final put you sometimes swing very light and the wii dosn't register it correctly. That would bother me allot more then when a regular controller move did not work correctly. Unless the motion is perfect and dead on it will ruin gameplay for me!
As far as graphics go the 360 is allot better. Remember you friends TV was 60 something inches. Thats huge and can show every flaw. If you put a wii on the same tv then compared you would see a major difference. The wii only looks good on smaller tv's. The 360 looks good on all sizes.

ics said:
A motion controller can make gameplay worse. It can actually make it worse because it becomes more personal. Take wii sports golf. When making a final put you sometimes swing very light and the wii dosn't register it correctly. That would bother me allot more then when a regular controller move did not work correctly. Unless the motion is perfect and dead on it will ruin gameplay for me!
As far as graphics go the 360 is allot better. Remember you friends TV was 60 something inches. Thats huge and can show every flaw. If you put a wii on the same tv then compared you would see a major difference. The wii only looks good on smaller tv's. The 360 looks good on all sizes.

Alright, so, a motion-sensitive controller can make gameplay worse because it's slightly flawed on a free tech demo that comes with the console?
Strong argument...
No console has "better" gameplay. It's just that one console has gameplay that a smaller amount of people like. I'm sure you could find plenty of people that think 360's gameplay is better. I'm also sure that you could find plenty of people who think the 360 is all about the short-lived graphics excitement, and that it grows boring after a few minutes. There are too many kinds of people to categorize which console is better in which area.

Sovieto said:
i think you were actually expecting to be not impressed so that is what happened, you mentally blocked it out:wink:

btw i find 360 more fun than the wii and its gameplay to be better
Quoted for truth. I never like Xbox's before I played em, and even when I did I still preferred my PS2 and Gamecube (namely PS2) and was only interested by the 360 when I had my Wii, 'cause it had Fifa. And all my friends were like WOAAAAH GET GOW MIKE, so I did, not all that fussed by it. When I first played it I couldn't believe the graphics, during campaign there's the such of running rain which is b-e-a-utiful. But, due to not learning the buttons (I always teach myself), I was still not all that fussed to play it. But when I learnt how to play, and started to get quite good, I effin love it. Play the game lots, and I guarantee you'll love it, and better than the likes of Wii Sports.

Back