My gripe with next gen graphics

tank

Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Nov 26, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
it seems that a lot of the times that a game comes out in a unique style (cartoonish, cell shading) people complain about how the graphics suck.

If you ask me I like the stylized games, a lot. My big problem is this:

The more realistic a game gets, the more they try to push the limits and make it look life like, the more I am able to notice what's wrong. Think about it, the more life like something looks, the easier it will be to pick out imperfections. That's why I like the unique style in games. Leave HD, 1080i and all that good stuff for movies until you're damn sure that the graphics are going to be incredible.

Don't get me wrong, there are some games comming about that are going to have amazing visuals. But something about next gen player models really bugs me.

That's it.

Eh this kind of thing existed last gens too.

The first gen of 3d graphics such as ps1 and n64 had many games I thought were just too ugly to enjoy, and I found myself playing more SNES and PC games sometimes.

The next gen of 3d graphics dreamcast and ps2 era was wierd. I thought before even though the graphics were inferior, they still looked kind of good for what they are. These new graphics made everything look plain...

This gen I see too many games with shiny polish all over that makes things look even more dumb and unrealistic.

So yeah, every generation has its flaws.

by the "shiny polish" are you talking about bloom? Cause there is way too much brown tones, and bloom being used IMO.

tank said:
by the "shiny polish" are you talking about bloom? Cause there is way too much brown tones, and bloom being used IMO.

I meant that and how many games have this really nasty coat of what appears to be thick baby oil, which apparently is next gen.

Last edited:
Kinda like today's cg movies....Look at polar express. Technically life-like, but freaky to little kids (and adults). Someone would rather see a disproportionate mr. Incredible than a super-realistic robot train conductor.

Meh graphics

Developers tend to put to much time makein the game look good and not enoth one how it plays

Damn I hate realistic games
Lamasoft <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<EA
One man team (plus his pet sheep)vs EA (souless)

i hope things never get so realistic that they look exaclty like "Night Trap"s FMVS

Has anyone seen fall out 3? i just saw some pictures of it today, and holy ****, most amazing game i have ever seen.

asdfnick said:
i hope things never get so realistic that they look exaclty like "Night Trap"s FMVS

That game got a mention

Kiwi said:
Has anyone seen fall out 3? i just saw some pictures of it today, and holy ****, most amazing game i have ever seen.

havent seen the pics but i have to check them out. One of the best pc series ive played :aureola:

Yeah, I'll have to check out Fallout 3

Now, by starting this, I wasn't saying impressive graphics were all that bad. I jsut think that if it's going to be done, they need to be done right.

Back