My Philosophy on Gaming

RPGMasterTurk91

Turkish RPG Master
Aug 2, 2006
Somewhere in New Jersey
When you hear the word "philosophy" you probably think "Oh Gaawwwd, he's gonna get into detail of every little thing and why they happen, how they happen and the reason behind them all. However, this is onlypartially the case, and I will try to keep it entertaining as well, if you like to listen to other perspectives and what people think, this shouldn't be a problem. However, isn't that what forums are all about anyways? Reading other people's thoughts and giving your own through text? :ciappa:

Before I go on...It is vital that you know that it is very difficult explaining something you have all known in your mind to words--in any language. Please bear that in mind and take into consideration of what might be written poorly or confusing. Message me after saying waht you exactly didn't get. Also, don't think of me as some psycho who thinks of things extremely deeply and has no life...cuz this isn't true, as much as it may seem :yikes:

Anyways, people have failed to recognize that the games people like to play are not their full choice. Yes of course, they choose the games they want to play with THEIR free will and play it accordingly--but what drives them to play a certain TYPE of game or games is pretty much a natural choice--something that you cannot control necessarily. It doesn't make sense for one to bash you for the games you play, constantly calling the games "gay" and they question why you play such "retarted" games, and basically why you don't like the types of games they play. They take it for granted that the majority of gamers love to play shooting games and this is what thrills the human mind, and the fact that tehy love it too. Am i right? They can't stand the fact that you play these other games that are considered "kiddy, gay, confusing" and so on. Therefore, attacking one another verbally on the internet or in real life is very stupid--it's all about game PREFERENCE. Who cares what systems people like best? I mean, did they literally CHOOSE what type of games you will like? Where I'm from, Nintendo-based games, or even MMORPGs are considered kiddy, gay, not cool. Is it the same where you (the reader) are from? If you are having fun peacefully while doing so as a side hobby and saying which games and systems are better, so be it. But when people get serious and start baggering people for what type of games they play, they take for granted the fact that they like the current games that are in, but don't consider the fact that neither of them chose exactly what game or type of game to like. This is being ignorant and selfish. Nobody in my town even GETS RPG games, with the whole leveling up system and what not...they just carry on that that stuff is gay. Anyone getting a vibe of what I'm saying at all?

Remember, when explaining these things in ANY language, transferring the information from one's mind to words, is very difficult and often comes out vague. Also, my mind goes blank a lot in the process so I probably missed a lot, as lots of different popints are running through my head, and trying to get them all down without forgetting is hard. :eek:

lol you see waht the word "philosophy" does to people? They can't bear it...But mine is interesting and worth making points about it, and listening/responding to it lol =). If you read the whole think carefully, you'll probably get the basis of waht I'm trying to explain here...it takes a lot out of my brain to write this all down as well, itsl ike translating Chinese to English, where the word choice is key.

You keep saying they..who do you mean by they?

Sorry this is probably obvious but.. as you said you had trouble writing it and English isn't actually my first language so.. I actually find stuff like that hard to read sometimes lol.

I read it all (very, very short guys, c'mon) and I think I pretty much agree with you.

Your game preference is decided from the a) the things you enjoy b) your own choice c) what you've ALWAYS liked (childhood likings or whatever). You choose the games you're going to like of course; if you only like FPS's then you aren't going to go out and buy "Peach's Fun Super Adventure" wrapped up nicely in a pink box with a ribbon. Your own choice of course can take a role as well, even if you ONLY like FPS's, your friend might be telling you how great RPG's are, so you're convinced and you buy an RPG. Than there's the childhood influences. As "gay" as this may sound, there's ALWAYS going to be a place in my heart for Pokemon. Pokemon is what I grew up, it brings back so many memories, plus it's a load of fun. I don't give a damn that other people think it's gay, I like playing Pokemon.

I agree 100% with how a lot of people love FPS's because of the thrill: the thrill of being able to command life. You can choose to live or let die, and it doesn't matter which you choose (technically) because you can just restart the level from your last saving point and redo it. These things, like you said, fascinate the mind and give us that adrenaline when you turn that dark corner (of course if you die, you're ready for it next time ;)) and find a gang of muggers about to...well, mug you. You die, you laugh, restart. It's like a small portion of being invincible, which people like.

Nice to see you back Turkmaster. :) You've been gone a while.

*EDIT*
RPGMasterTurk91 said:
Remember, when explaining these things in ANY language, transferring the information from one's mind to words, is very difficult and often comes out vague. Also, my mind goes blank a lot in the process so I probably missed a lot, as lots of different popints are running through my head, and trying to get them all down without forgetting is hard. :eek:
I have the same problem at times as well, no worries. :)

surfinrach90 said:
You keep saying they..who do you mean by they?

Sorry this is probably obvious but.. as you said you had trouble writing it and English isn't actually my first language so.. I actually find stuff like that hard to read sometimes lol.
He just means "the general public". Everyone loves that adrenaline it gives you, at least most everyone.

Last edited:
hmm i know i said "they" a lot, but can u give me some direct examples so i can explain to you better? Oh, and English IS my first language...what I was saying is that transferring information that could really only be FULLY understood by yourself onto a piece of paper is very difficult. I hope I made that clearer now lol.

Well the first few times you mention 'they' I can see that you are referring to the people who play games, but then you say..

'They take it for granted that the majority of gamers love to play shooting games and this is what thrills the human mind, and the fact that they love it too.' - who takes it for granted exactly?

ssbb_lover said:
I read it all (very, very short guys, c'mon) and I think I pretty much agree with you.

Your game preference is decided from the a) the things you enjoy b) your own choice c) what you've ALWAYS liked (childhood likings or whatever). You choose the games you're going to like of course; if you only like FPS's then you aren't going to go out and buy "Peach's Fun Super Adventure" wrapped up nicely in a pink box with a ribbon. Your own choice of course can take a role as well, even if you ONLY like FPS's, your friend might be telling you how great RPG's are, so you're convinced and you buy an RPG. Than there's the childhood influences. As "gay" as this may sound, there's ALWAYS going to be a place in my heart for Pokemon. Pokemon is what I grew up, it brings back so many memories, plus it's a load of fun. I don't give a damn that other people think it's gay, I like playing Pokemon.

I agree 100% with how a lot of people love FPS's because of the thrill: the thrill of being able to command life. You can choose to live or let die, and it doesn't matter which you choose (technically) because you can just restart the level from your last saving point and redo it. These things, like you said, fascinate the mind and give us that adrenaline when you turn that dark corner (of course if you die, you're ready for it next time ;)) and find a gang of muggers about to...well, mug you. You die, you laugh, restart. It's like a small portion of being invincible, which people like.

Nice to see you back Turkmaster. :) You've been gone a while.

*EDIT*

I have the same problem at times as well, no worries. :)

He just means "the general public". Everyone loves that adrenaline it gives you, at least most everyone.

Thanks for welcoming me back, and i love your post to my thread just as much as the post I wrote. Seems like you got everything down and even explained things a little further--like the childhood part and what not--things i was trying to squeeze out but was a little tough lol. I'm glad there are people who understand what I'm talking about. And yes, although Pokemeon is old and kiddy, and i certainly am not into the card game and whole conept for the most part, there is still a place for Pokemon in my heart as well. The concept of the RPG games are still teh same, whether there is a "corny" background of pokemon-natured events, its all still fun and the fun never fully lets go.

The thrills that people have are very similar like the FPSs, as you said. In fact, there really are only a handful of people who DONT enjoy that thrill. For example, it is agreeable that the majority of people ENJOY going to a theme park. But there still are those few people who don't find fun in that kind fo stuff and would prefer not to take part. That was kind of a choppy example, but I think you get the point :rolleyes:

surfinrach90 said:
Well the first few times you mention 'they' I can see that you are referring to the people who play games, but then you say..

'They take it for granted that the majority of gamers love to play shooting games and this is what thrills the human mind, and the fact that they love it too.' - who takes it for granted exactly?
Rach, when I read that I took it for the people that say that "gun games are corrupting our young" and "they will cause the next generation to be a bunch of killers".

I'm not sure, but that's what I got out of it.

Btw, you speak English very well, I would have never guess it was your 2nd language. :yikes: That goes for your boyfriend as well.

*EDIT*
RPGMasterTurk91 said:
Thanks for welcoming me back, and i love your post to my thread just as much as the post I wrote. Seems like you got everything down and even explained things a little further--like the childhood part and what not--things i was trying to squeeze out but was a little tough lol. I'm glad there are people who understand what I'm talking about. And yes, although Pokemeon is old and kiddy, and i certainly am not into the card game and whole conept for the most part, there is still a place for Pokemon in my heart as well. The concept of the RPG games are still teh same, whether there is a "corny" background of pokemon-natured events, its all still fun and the fun never fully lets go.

The thrills that people have are very similar like the FPSs, as you said. In fact, there really are only a handful of people who DONT enjoy that thrill. For example, it is agreeable that the majority of people ENJOY going to a theme park. But there still are those few people who don't find fun in that kind fo stuff and would prefer not to take part. That was kind of a choppy example, but I think you get the point :rolleyes:
Thanks. :)

I was just wondering about you 2 days ago as well as yesterday, then you show up today....strange. :/

Last edited:
There ya go

surfinrach90 said:

They take it for granted that the majority of gamers love to play shooting games and this is what thrills the human mind, and the fact that they love it too.' - who takes it for granted exactly?

ahhh--the majority of the people who enjoy just that--the people who enjoy playing FPS's, are the same people who make the majority of liking these types of games...and it is safe to say that they are less tolerant of those who play games otherwise. People who play games that the majority of the masses consider "cool", mostly FPSs you can say, usually tend to bash Nintendo players, as this is considered, for the most part, the opposite--"uncool", and even "kiddy". But what they (the majority, and the majority of the people prefer these "cool" games over the "uncool" games i just mentioned) fail to realize is that the people find enjoyment, thrill, fun in these games--whether or not the the basher knows it. OBVIOUSLY, PEOPLE PLAY GAMES BECAUSE THEY FIND THEM FUN. THEY DON'T CHOOSE THEM DUE TO THEIR "GAY, LOSERISH" NATURE. (This is not a shout, but rather a loud talk thats NOT a shout lol). To answer your question simply, "they" almost always implies the majority of the people. The majority of the people play "cooler" games. That's just the way it is by nature...more people will end up playing games they think are cooler and better, obviously.

RPGMasterTurk91 said:
ahhh--the majority of the people who enjoy just that--the people who enjoy playing FPS's, are the same people who make the majority of liking these types of games...and it is safe to say that they are less tolerant of those who play games otherwise. People who play games that the majority of the masses consider "cool", mostly FPSs you can say, usually tend to bash Nintendo players, as this is considered, for the most part, the opposite--"uncool", and even "kiddy". But what they (the majority, and the majority of the people prefer these "cool" games over the "uncool" games i just mentioned) fail to realize is that the people find enjoyment, thrill, fun in these games--whether or not the the basher knows it. OBVIOUSLY, PEOPLE PLAY GAMES BECAUSE THEY FIND THEM FUN. THEY DON'T CHOOSE THEM DUE TO THEIR "GAY, LOSERISH" NATURE. (This is not a shout, but rather a loud talk thats NOT a shout lol). To answer your question simply, "they" almost always implies the majority of the people. The majority of the people play "cooler" games. That's just the way it is by nature...more people will end up playing games they think are cooler and better, obviously.
So I wasn't right in my last post. :yikes:

I think Rach was asking who you were talking about when you said how "they don't realize the majority of those who like FPS's...." as in you were referring to "they" as the group of people who aren't the majority, who are against the "norm".

Last edited:
ssbb_lover said:
your boyfriend as well.

*EDIT*

Thanks. :)

I was just wondering about you 2 days ago as well as yesterday, then you show up today....strange. :/

Yea, the weirdest of occurences happen to me all the time...Sometimes I feel that I'm the Chosen One in this world, that I'm the only person who can really feel and see and is conscious. But those are at select few times when certain odd things happen lol...therefore, its more natural than you'd think, but still unnatural :crazy: .

Last time i said something like that in an MMORPG where lots of people can see your text, i got a whole bunch freaked out comments by people they were like "Are you Ok? Are you emo or something?" Meh... (and Btw, No, I'm not emo at all).

ssbb_lover said:
So I wasn't right in my last post. :yikes:

Sorry for double=posting, but I need to get back on comments :p I'm sure you all understand...

No, I think you gave a good explanation, my explanations are just kind of confusing. You definately weren't totally wrong with what you said, as I found some right in it lol.:smilewinkgrin:

Thanks for the explanation guys :)

I find this a really interesting thread, and I see what you're getting at RPGMasterTurk91 and would have to agree with you :)

Ohh and ssbb_lover my boyfriends first language is English lol, just me who's got Welsh as my first :D I learned it before I learned English lol, and went to a Welsh school, while he went to a English school.

He makes fun of me and my lack of English terms, like the things like full stops and er..commas lol ^-^

Back