My pick for the Top 10 sporting moments 2007

zapasant

Where is your god now?
Aug 13, 2007
Canada
Wii Online Code
2887-9874-6238-6951
another year has come and gone and its has been quite the year for sports, i have decided top create my top ten sports moments from this past year.

The year of the Gator

"The year of the Gator" that is a quote that sports ilustrated used on their front cover....what that mean is that florida State Gators became the frist team to ever win the collage football title and the mens national basketball championship ALL in the same year.

Gators.gif

GATOR COUNTRY BABY

9. METS!!!! WTF?!?!!?

*sigh* this is a sad story really.......the NEW YORK METS....had pretty much their playoff spot clinched.......in the final 17 games of the season, the METS had a 7 games lead on the PHILIES in the NL east....sounds like a piece of pie to make it to the playoffs right? i mean, youde had to have a total melt down......well, they did, they went 5-12 in those last 17 games, and loosing their division by 1 game to the philies, thus knocking them out of the post season.

alg_metspaperbags.jpg

Poor fans:(

8. How bout them golden state warriors?!...

The golden state warriors....just eeked out to make it into the playoff...*sigh* oh the humanity, their first series of the playoffs are against the best team in the NBA who had 68 wins during the regular season....more the 25 wins that the warriors had.....the warriors played their first playoff game in 13 years.....and man, did they ever shock the nation....they had dallas at the brink of elimination at 3-1....dallas bounced back to force a game 6 in california....but the warriors werent going to be defeted, they demolished the mavs and made history, the first 8th seed to eliminate a 1st seeded team in a 7 game series.....easly one of the biggest upsets of the year, if not the biggest.

483824010_8ffbb68f71.jpg

All the coach could say, was "what the hell just happened?"

7. Roger Federer wins 5th straight wimbledon

hey....even teniss has its moments

Roger Federer, the obious favourite coming in this event....had actually quite an easy tournoment, until he reached the final, where he faced his arch nemessis Rafael Nadal, Rafa had 2 rough matches before his final vs Roger, everyone though, another day in the park for roger, well i guess not, Federer’s supremacy on grass met a strong challenge from Nadal and the victory did not come easily for the Swiss. But Federer came through by winning the tiebreak in the first and third sets, and faced four break points before victory in the final set. i saw this match, and i wont be forgetting it for a long time :)

fed.jpg

He went through hell to win, and he still manages to look the jit for the award ceremony...how does he do it!?

6. A-Rod Hits 500

The yankees 3rd base man, alex rodriguez had quite the season, he lead the league in homeruns in the season, and in runs scored, he won the AL MVP award....and also, reached quite the milestone, his 500th homerun, but what made it even more impressive was that he became the youngest player to reach that milestone, gainst pitcher Kyle Davies of the Kansas City Royals, at the age of 32 years and 8 days.

070412_Alex_hmed_11a.h2.jpg

Will he be the one to beat Barry?

5. KOBE, KOBE, KOBE!

a good nba player reaches 50 points or more in a game very, very, very, very, VERY! rarely, well, kobe did it once, twice, a thrird and a fourthtime in the season, thats a very imprssive feat, well wanna jknow whats crazier......he did them all in 4 staright games....thats right, in 4 straight game.
He became the 2nd oplayer in history to do so, the only other player is the legendery Wilt Chamberlain, with 7 straight 50+ games...that was over 40 years ago tho, this accomplishement obiously doesnt happen very often.

070323_kobe_vmed_p.widec.jpg

Kobe for 3!

4. Record breaking season!

Mr. Farve is having quite the season, ill start off with the worst part tho so that i can finish on a good note, he now holds the record for most interceptions thrown, its not a good thing to have in your resume....but it doesnt matter , it'll get over shadowed with the other 2 records he broke this season, the all time passing yards, passing dan marino, and aswell as the all time touchdown passing record, also passing dan marino.

53_favre-falcons.JPG

HA! and you were thinking of retiring last season, tsk tsk

3. Wrestling superstar tragedy.

On June 25, 2007, Benoit, his wife Nancy, and their 7-year-old son Daniel were found dead in their Fayetteville, Georgia, home at around 2:30 p.m. EDT.[81] Lieutenant Tommy Pope of the Fayette County, Georgia Sheriff's Department reported to ABC News that police entered Benoit's home on a "welfare check" after several missed appointments, leading to concerns.[82] Pope also stated the police were not searching for any suspects outside of the house, as the instruments of death were located at the scene of the crime.[83] Detective Bo Turner of the Fayette County Sheriff's Department told television station WAGA-TV that the case was being treated as a murder-suicide. The station reported that investigators had discovered that Benoit murdered his wife and son over the weekend and hanged himself sometime on Monday.[84]

this news came as a big surprise to canadians, considering chris benopit is canadian....

470benoit2806.jpg

2. Welcome to america David Beckham

On january 11th it was confirmed that DAVID BECKHAM had offically signed with the crappy soccer club LA galaxy, it came as a huge shock, considering he was going from one of the best soccer clubs in the world.....to one of the worst, i mean the pay was amazing, but you'de think he'd have some pride.
anywhoo, when he arrived with his wife "posh" spice, i was a huge frenzy, they became a "holywood" couple.......now david beckham isnt known for his soccer, he's known for.........well i unno, he's like paris hilton, no one knows why she's famous.

David%20Beckham.bmp

GOD DAMN IM SEXY.........

1. 756!

this is all i gotta show

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVpS5Gbc3BQ[/MEDIA]
Wether you love him, or hate him {i love him} that video will send a chill down a baseball fan's spine anytime....it just never gets old!

i hope you enjoyed my list.

please let me know what you think should be in there...and by the way, there was a reason why i left stuff out like michel vick edicement and the mitchell reports and spy gate, i wanted to keep everything as possitive as possible :)

WHAT? We need a UK Version, Haha
I don't follow Baseball. Im from UK, 756 is quite an achievment though. Congrats to that dude haha

aha, ya sorry, i forgot about the europeans....but hey, i put david beckham in there just for you :)

He's an arsehole. Everyone knows that :p

England not qualifying for Euro 2008 should be in there. Lol what a **** up by our old manager [Got fired cause of it]

oh wow, your right, i should have put there, that was huge shock!

its gonna be an awkward euro cup with england

Solid list. I'd have a few changes..
Michael Vick
Patriots 14-0 (Likely 16-0) Even with that whole spy scandal
Mitchell Report
Notre Dame 3-9
BCS fails yet again

Just a few. But still, very good list.

well i wanted to keep the "court" room out of my list but the pats 14-0 and the dolphins starting 0-13 were going to be in there, but i didnt want to put too much football in there, i dont want to seem bias to a other sports

Federer winning his 5th consecutive Wimbledon isn't all. He's setting records for all the Grandslams. He's closing in on Sampras's record of career Grandslams, he having 14 and Federer having 12. Too add to that list would be something arguably even greater: After winning the 07' Australian Open, he became the 1st player to win three different Grand Slams 3 years in a row. The 1st.

Glad you didn't exclude tennis from the list though. Would have been a mistake. I appreciate it.

Of course, no matter the circumstances, football/basketball/baseball stories will always be more important (In America at least) then golf/tennis/soccer/hockey/wrestling.

So, in theory tennis would never be a top 10 story for the year, no matter the records set or the events won. It just isn't as interesting of a story.

YAY!!!!

Glad to see 756 on its rightful pedestal, as well as the nice mention to the Dubs.

ssbb_lover said:
Federer winning his 5th consecutive Wimbledon isn't all. He's setting records for all the Grandslams. He's closing in on Sampras's record of career Grandslams, he having 14 and Federer having 12. Too add to that list would be something arguably even greater: After winning the 07' Australian Open, he became the 1st player to win three different Grand Slams 3 years in a row. The 1st.

Glad you didn't exclude tennis from the list though. Would have been a mistake. I appreciate it.

hm by the looks of it, sounds like your quite the teniss fan, i dont mind it, it can actually be a very enterntaining sport, just most poeple dont appreciate it

Federer is my favorite player and I agree that there are many people who do not appreciate the sport of tennis. I love tennis.

im thinking of making a "top ten plays of 2007 " thread tomorow, think itll get some attention here on wiichat?

i dont really wanna waste my time

zapasant93 said:
hm by the looks of it, sounds like your quite the teniss fan, i dont mind it, it can actually be a very enterntaining sport, just most poeple dont appreciate it
I'm actually quite obsessive, you could say. If I don't have any tennis, or watch tennis for 3 days I start to have withdrawals...

And to everyone saying that tennis isn't interesting, it's probably the hardest mental and physical sport out there. I not only love playing it and watching, but I admire what the sport requires of one's self. One of my favorite quotes is, "Tennis is Chess at 90 mph." It pretty much sums up that you have to have great intelligence/quickness, as well as the body to keep up with the speed and power that he game demands of you.

You also have to mix in the factor that you have no coaches whatsoever. You have to rely on yourself, and only yourself, there's no one to help you. You have to have tons of confidence and self-strength to make it far, and yet you can't be cocky. You can look at the entire history of tennis, and you won't see one player that stayed at #1 for a long period of time who was cocky. Not one. I mention that only because it seems that the majority of Football/Basketball/etc. players seem extremely full of themselves.

These are the reasons why Federer is incredible to me. He does all this, and even though has been losing more then usual lately, still stays humble and content. He's definitely "on another plane", if you will.
zapasant93 said:
im thinking of making a "top ten plays of 2007 " thread tomorow, think itll get some attention here on wiichat?

i dont really wanna waste my time
If you include something tennis wise (I can help you), go for it man. I can't wait.

ssbb_lover said:
I'm actually quite obsessive, you could say. If I don't have any tennis, or watch tennis for 3 days I start to have withdrawals...

And to everyone saying that tennis isn't interesting, it's probably the hardest mental and physical sport out there. I not only love playing it and watching, but I admire what the sport requires of one's self. One of my favorite quotes is, "Tennis is Chess at 90 mph." It pretty much sums up that you have to have great intelligence/quickness, as well as the body to keep up with the speed and power that he game demands of you.

You also have to mix in the factor that you have no coaches whatsoever. You have to rely on yourself, and only yourself, there's no one to help you. You have to have tons of confidence and self-strength to make it far, and yet you can't be cocky. You can look at the entire history of tennis, and you won't see one player that stayed at #1 for a long period of time who was cocky. Not one. I mention that only because it seems that the majority of Football/Basketball/etc. players seem extremely full of themselves.

These are the reasons why Federer is incredible to me. He does all this, and even though has been losing more then usual lately, still stays humble and content. He's definitely "on another plane", if you will.

If you include something tennis wise (I can help you), go for it man. I can't wait.

im planning on involving as many "known" sports as i can, im starting it tomorow, considering its getting pretty late, but if you can scoop up a great play from the tennis world from 07, it would be much appreciated.

well, im going to plan it out for tomorow *goes to youtube*

Back