My pitch for a "chat" feature on Wii

Spyro

Wii60
Jul 11, 2007
My girlfriend and I were discussing the Wii today and the subject of an "instant messaging" or "voice chat" service came up. Here's the idea we came up with:

-There would not be a channel for it; instead it would be an add-on to the message board area. It would feature a buddy list containing those who are in your address book, showing who is online at the moment and if they are playing an online game.

-Voice and message chats WOULD be able to interrupt your game, but only an offline game. Let's say you are playing Twilight Princess and you receive a voice chat invitation from a friend:
{-}A small dot at the bottom left of the screen would flash
{-}You press the Home button
{-}A button that says "Accept voice (text) Chat from [insert friends name]" will appear on the Home button screen
{-} You may choose to ignore or accept it, and if it's a voice chat you can use a wireless headset to carry on a conversation while still playing your game if you so desire.

What do you think?

that would actually be awesome. kinda like xbox360.....man i really want a 360 for some reason, i dont even like halo :crazy:

Hey that's a really cool idea.

Spyro said:
Voice and message chats WOULD be able to interrupt your game, but only an offline game.

Yeah, but some people might get annoyed of the interuption, if they ever did this they probably should give an option to turn it off...that is, if they ever did this..I hope it's soon, I wish it was the surprise at the end of September Reggie was talking about, but the surprise is probably the Check Mii Out Channel.

Actually, I don't think the 360 can give you a notification mid-game. I also think you have to pause the game (if possible) and then press the Xbox home button in order to keep the game from going on in the background. But to answer your question, no the 360 isn't doing that.

Yeah, but some people might get annoyed of the interuption, if they ever did this they probably should give an option to turn it off...

Exactly.

You already can use MSN with the Wii, using the internet channel. It was mentioned on one of the threads with the links included. Nintendo also added in a few new features to the Wii since the last patch. I think they'll eventually add in a chat system based on the recent patch.

:lol:....that would be awsome....giving message back and forth and waiting for it just takes to long....

Good idea, not sure I can see it happening though.

Back