My review of THE BIGS

Wiitime

the guy below- HES BACK!!
Oct 15, 2006
Wii Online Code
1405-1695-6567-5492
I purchased the game at Best Buy this afternoon. I havent played it much, but i did the turorial an played a few innings...Im deciding where to start.

First, good game, at first it might be hard but you will start to catch on to things. For anyone concerned with the lag when batting, its nothing, swing a second early and its fine. Ill talk about Offense first. Batting is fun, you can move your bat before the pitch, like move it in a circular motion or swing it back and forth. When you hit the ball, you run by drumming the controls, its fun, dont worry. When rounding the bases you cannot stop drumming or else the player will literally stop moving even in the middle of a basepath. You use "Z" to switch players and control them. I had one nice play at the plate where my player hit the catcher so hard he flew back. You can bunt and thats as simple as holding B. To use the power you hold A. When you make nice plays or get Strikeouts or hits, you get points, those points are used to help you with batting and if you hit the ball and its long homerun. I think you can use it with pitching too, but i havent done to well.

Pitching is fun, you can throw all types of pitches and you use your wrist movement to. Its cool because when pitching you have to be holding the controls like you are holding the ball. There is a pitching meter that you use to throw good pitches. One thing i noticed that i didnt like, which i hope changes maybe under a different difficulty is that the computer doesnt swing unless its a strike. I threw pitches right outside the corner that real players would go for and they didnt even check swing. That i didnt like.

Fielding is decent. It will be easier as i play more and catch the hang of things. You can drum the controls to run faster so that helps. Diving for the ball seems to be hard, i dont know wheather its just me but i found it hard and difficult. Jumping i havent figured out how to do nor have had the chance. Throwing you can either press the base you want to throw it too put using the D pad or hold A and throw up for 2nd base, left to first, right to third or down for home. That can be annoying as it is not always accurate and can get mixed up.Its cool having a double play and watching the fielder throw the ball in slow motion. But overall this isnt a bad game, its fun. The graphics arent that bad and they are tolerable. If you want a new game, love baseball or even dont like sports you would like this. Its a arcade style game and fun.

- Batting isnt difficult, lag isnt bad, feels cool to move the bat around
-Pitching is fun, you feel like you reall are pitching
- You can pick runners off, slide,steal
- I havent found out how to hit a batter, im not even sure if you can.
- Fielding is difficult, but as you play, you will catch on.
- I havent been through the rosters but Yankees seems correct except when i went to switch a pitcher, it missed a lot of the bullpen, i think its the same for all. When i chose my pitcher, it showed 3 SP, 1 reliver and my closer.. I hope you can add more otherwise you are very limited. No idea why..
7-7.5/10

If you have any questions, ask them. Im not sure if i covered everything. Hope this helps. Its a good fun game. Im happy i got it.

Last edited:
Excellent review Wiitime, thank you. I'll start thinking about the purchase.

alright, ive just been through my first couple exhibition games and here's my part:

Offense: Batting is simple and fun. there's no real lag as Wiitime said. it definately gives you more options that Wii Baseball. Running the bases can get tiring at points, but at least you can decide who gets to go where, and going into bases is fun as well.

Defense: Fielding gets better as you go through it. It's nowhere near perfect, but its not bad. Def. room to be improved upon. Throwing is more difficult than it sounds, but it gets better.

Pitching: The best part, feels like you're really pitching. This is the best part of the game by far. If your pitcher keeps getting hit by the same pitch, it'll disapper. Also, if you don't throw a viable pitch for your pitcher, it will be a meatball, 78 MPH, straight.

Rosters: You get 3 SP, 2 RP, 1 CL, and 13 fielders. rosters are from the beginning of the year it looks like, so you'll have to make adjustments if you want to (traded benitez for messenger, dropped linden for a created frandsen)

Just on actual gameplay, so far I give it an 8 to baseball fans who have been dreaming for a baseball game once they heard about the wiimote and a 7 to those who liked wii baseball and are not big baseball fans. I'll try to get my Rookie Challenge review in soon....

Last edited:
Digitalldj said:
i'll read it when u break it into paragraphs.

done! :)

Stat Tracking?

Hello,

Thank you for the review, got more out of it then IGNs' (go figure). I have 2 questions:

1. Is there stat tracking in Career mode? When you play a season, does everyone (even computer players) start at a .000 batting average?

2. Can you have more the one character start a career? Like if a friend wanted to start up a separate one and play through the game?

(ok, that was really 4 questions :p )

izike

izike said:
Hello,

Thank you for the review, got more out of it then IGNs' (go figure). I have 2 questions:

1. Is there stat tracking in Career mode? When you play a season, does everyone (even computer players) start at a .000 batting average?

2. Can you have more the one character start a career? Like if a friend wanted to start up a separate one and play through the game?

izike

Honestly i cannot answer that because i have yet to try rookie challenge. But for number 1... There is no season mode. There is the Rookie Challenge mode where you create a player and your goal is to get him to win World Series MVP. You have to do tasks in the challenge. So unforuntalty there is no season mode. I dont think you can have more then 1 character. I believe you can make 1 but you can start a new one for a friend probably but not the same one...
Hope this helps!

izike said:
Hello,

izike

1. not quite sure what you mean...

2. one player per Rookie Challenge, but you can have multiple Rookie Challenge modes, like you could be a Catcher in one and a OF in another.

Last edited:
This game is a blast! I had a friend come over. we played 2 games, he beat me the first.. they were both 5 inning games... Im up, bottom of the 5th, its 15-11 him. i get some hits, and at one point theres one out, runners at the corners or basesloaded, groundball to the pitcher, he forgets he can get a double play throws home, i get out. That was the turning point of the game, chances are he would have gotten a double play and game over. I forgot what happend but i had the basesloaded after a hit. Then i saw the Power Blast but didnt read it assuming it was for the pitcher, he said "O No" i realized i had the turbo full, the 2nd pitch at bat, Grand Slam! tie game, then i got some more hits and won the game! This game rocks. especially when playing a friend.

Having fun with the game. Had my nephew over did a few home run derbies, played two 2-player 5 inning games. And played 1 rookie challenge game after he left…the Wii smoked me baaad.

Anyways, the game at times gets really finicky about responding to the button push to start the pitching action. I’ve tried swapping the controllers, changing batteries and moving the receiver around.

I’ll press the pause or menu button and the system responds right away so I’m pretty sure it’s the game…or I’m missing something in the mechanics of how to pitch properly. Anyone else experiencing this or have any tips?

edit:typo

Last edited:
Addy said:
Having fun with the game. Had my nephew over did a few home run derbies, played two 2-player 5 inning games. And played 1 rookie challenge game after he left…the Wii smoked me baaad.

Anyways, the game at times gets really finicky about responding to the button push to start the pitching action. I’ve tried swapping the controllers, changing batteries and moving the receiver around.

I’ll press the pause or menu button and the system responds right away so I’m pretty sure it’s the game…or I’m missing something in the mechanics of how to pitch properly. Anyone else experiencing this or have any tips?

edit:typo

Do you mean that when you press A for a fastball and it doesnt always respond and you have to do it a few times? then yes, it happends to me too, i think its because the controls need to be almose held like your pitching.

Does this help? Let me know and i can try to explain it better.

i have a question for you, when you play the computer, have you been able to get the computer to swing at a ball? i would throw it right outside the strike zone and they dont ever swing, from what i have seen... I wish players argued when you hit the batters or if the ump threw you out of the game, but nothing!

Sounds cool but unlike my PS2 purchases (got bored of the system) I plan on only buying the greater games, 8/10+

Baseball is my favorite sport and always will be but I'd rather just wait for a better Wii baseball game which shouldn't take that long.

StevenNevets said:
Baseball is my favorite sport and always will be but I'd rather just wait for a better Wii baseball game which shouldn't take that long.

MLB 2K8........

it will be awesome......

I'm extremely excited to hear that pitching is one of the funnest parts of the game. That was the most disappointing part of Wii Sports Baseball (IMO). Gotta go rent it soon.

Back