My sad launch story...

MEAMYOU

WiiChat Member
Nov 19, 2006
Ok, so I arrive at Wal-Mart with the promise of at midnight début for the Nintendo Wii console, and a promise of at least 20 consoles per store. I get there about around 4:00 pm and I'm eighth in line, so I think awesome I'm definitely going to get one. I sit around for a while with my small group of friends it's kind of boring, then about an hour by and I notice all of a sudden I'm not ninth in line. So at this point I'm a little pissed off, and start talking to some guy a few spots behind me about how ****ing retarded people jumping the line is. He gets a little crazy and starts yelling at the kids, and they're like no it's cool we were here, so he’s just like ok fine whatever. The guy walks into Wal-Mart and buys a set of number pre-school learning cards and starts to distribute them along the line, so in the morning when they give at the real tickets we can make sure no one is cutting.

About an hour goes by and they come out and tell us that the advertisement which was sitting right next to customer service was incorrect and the store is opening at 7am, so now we are all in for a nice long camp out. The night goes on I start talking to people around me, and get into an intense game of monopoly with some kids, play some hacky sac, then dominate a game of risk. Time goes by relatively quickly and people are bringing back food for everyone so now it's like 4:30am and a person comes out of the store, and tell us to make sure we have all of our stuff cleaned up and packed by 6:00am. So we're all like ok they're gunna start giving out tickets or something at around 6, then around 6:45 we are informed that they will be opening the store at the normal time of 7:00 with no special set up for people buying the Wii, and that everyone has to fend for themselves and they will have no number system of any kind. This gets people toward the front of the line flipping out, so one so the crowd starts to scream furiously at the workers, and they eventually call the cops, so now we have 3 cop cars at Wal-Mart with us because we essentially threatened to start a riot.

I guess this got the people at Wal-Mart thinking, and they came out and revealed that they only had 10 consoles, and thankfully thanks to the guy at the beginning we were all nicely labeled 1-10 with our own system, without any help from Wal-Mart. So I'm all exciting I am number 9, they let me in the store, I go up to the register buy the console, and it turns out they only have two games, excite truck and Zelda. So I’m a little upset but far to excited at the fact that I actually got a system to worry about the games for now, and besides Zelda was the main game I wanted anyway. So I go out with my Wii and copy of Zelda in tow and head off briskly to my car.

I drive home and get everything out and set up, I turn on the system, and bam there it is, Please insert a system startup disc. I'm just like wtf because the only thing that game with the console was Wii sports, so I put in Wii sports it says error incorrect disc, so I’m like ok and I try Zelda, same error message. I call up a bunch of my friends who just bought the Wii as well and they are all confused about the message, and have no clue what it means. This is around 8am and Nintendo tech support doesn't open for another hour, so I’m sitting there desperately trying to figure out a solution but with no success, so 9 finally comes around I call up Nintendo and wait on hold for about 15 minutes before I finally get a person to talk to. I tell the guy the message and he says all that means is you have to insert a game into the system, so I’m like well I tried both Wii sports and Zelda and I got an error message. So he goes well then you must have a defective system, so he takes down my information and says we will send you a new system in 3-4 days!

Last edited:
thats an intense story man! did you try checking all of your connections and completely powering off your Wii. That works with some electronics if they're being dumb. Good luck

They are going to ship one to you first and then you ship yours back in their box? If its 3-4 days thats not to bad, but with Thanksgiving next week, I wouldn't expect it until probably next week now.

I can't believe I got the bad one out of my line also. Unless it was a bad batch, but I haven't heard from any of my friends that were in line with me that theirs had any problems.

yea, they are shipping one to me first, then I ship the other one back. So at least I have a Wii-mote and nunchuck to play with my friends until then. But still 3-4 days after camping out for 18+ hours, and an now living off 26 hours w/o sleep. It's really disappointing.

Man thats crap like. I feels sorry for u man. U should like make them give u a free wii because of all the hastle.

all the storys are making me tense for the UK launch. bad luck anyway, i hope the system comes for your this so called thanks given holiday.

Damn! Must admit it couldnt of been a complete easy ride with the luck you were having (being 9th and having to be in the front 10 etc..) atleast you get your Wii in a couple of days.. I gotta wait a couple of weeks..

Damn man, i thought they came with those discs though? When i watched i think it was ign opening the box there was a disc in there and the guy was like..whats this? meh and tossed it i knew it was the startup disc..or so i though. Look through your packaging again, when i saw it it was under soime cardboard thing.

I had the same thing happen to me briefly but I just restarted the console and it was fine.

epikon said:
all the storys are making me tense for the UK launch. bad luck anyway, i hope the system comes for your this so called thanks given holiday.

Wii get a pretty good deal, they test it on US, if systems don't work then they know the problem and fix it before UK releasse :)

Ah, that sucks. I was wondering where the startup disc was but i looked at the box and it didn't say anything about it

Back