My Sad(?) Tale

ae2k

WiiChat Member
Nov 19, 2006
I found this forum this afternoon searching for help with my Wii; apparently the problems with them are fairly widespread. Here's my story:

I organized a group of my friends and I to camp for the Wii at our local Target store. From the rumors that we heard, they would be getting the most units in our area. We expected to have to be out sometime in the evening the day before hand, then camp through the night. Unofficially we had heard that our Target would be issuing numbered tickets at 6am, after which you could leave and come back any time to get your unit before noon.

Since I live down the street we got together at my place. After doing some drive-bys every few hours we noticed that people were already starting to line up outside of the store (it was roughly 10am at this point). We waited a while longer and after some debating decided we might as well stake out a claim, since we couldn't devote our attention to anything else while checking the line so often. We got together our gear and headed over to the store, executing a quick plan to set up our table, chairs, etc.

It was now slightly after noon, and we were numbers 4-7 in the Wii line at Target. We introduced ourselves to the people in front of us, who were all good guys (and obviously like-minded). Of course given how quickly the beginning of the line formed we assumed others would follow shortly after us. An hour went by. Two hours. Finally almost three hours later two guys got into line after us. Okay, so we knew our timing was overkill- but hell, it's for the Wii, right? Needless to say the line began to fill out very slowly, hitting the 40-50 mark around midnight.

The first ten or so people in line were a blast, and we had a great time screwing around, talking, and playing games. Many of the others that arrived after were not quite as entertaining; in fact, they became downright annoying. Around the 20-30 mark was a group of obnoxious high school students, some of which looked to have just hit puberty. These guys were screaming, swearing, and eventually began drinking and causing trouble. Don't get me wrong- I don't have any qualms with a party. I just didn't think it was the place with the police driving by every half an hour, and customers still coming and going.

As if the people in line weren't bad enough, others decided to harass us as they walked by. Some times they were just dumb questions, which we didn't have a problem answering. Most of the time it was people telling us we were crazy, idiots, or any other barrage of insults. One man walked by with his small child, quite loudly explaining, "This is what happens when you don't go to college". A quick show of hands in the line showed that a good portion were either in, or had graduated from, college. But I digress. Another winner came by to tell us he had *built* the Wiis and the PS3s, and he knew it was better to camp at Walmart (which we knew had already reserved every unit they had). What he did and where he couldn't say, but he knew he built them, and he would be damned if anyone said otherwise. Words can't describe the looks of this guy- just imagine a crazy mountain man in camo. Yep.

Much of the harassment wasn't verbal either. Throughout the night some real winners decided it would be fun to physically torture us. These incidents ranged from squirt-gun drive-bys (in freezing weather- I'll cover that soon), blaring music to keep those awake who wanted to sleep, and flashing headlights at us as we sat in the dark. One group was particularly clever: after sitting with their lights glaring at us for nearly 5 minutes, they managed to spit out, "Uh, you guys like, aren't going to get any. We got dibs... we're seriously not kidding. Sucks to be you." It took five minutes to think that up? Yikes, if your hobby is going to be being an asshole, at least do it well.

Insults aside the weather was an assortment of horrible. Temperatures ranged from the 40s to below freezing, with a wind chill quite a bit lower. Even with a ton of layers and full camping gear the middle of the night can be hell- at least with real camping you get to have a fire. Instead we shivered together and thought of the joy that would come the next day. Snow and rain appeared intermittently as well, almost on cue with us taking out our electronics. The number of things to do quickly decreased; evening playing cards faded as an option when we couldn't feel our hands due to the cold (gloves weren't too handy for playing, either).

As I alluded to earlier, some of us tried to get some shut-eye, mainly in the interest of being conscious the next day to enjoy the system we had waited so long to get. The cold and the harassment didn't help, but eventually a good portion of us campers got to sleep. That is, until around 2:30am when "Number 51" showed up.

We knew he was number 51 in line, mainly because he was screaming it and other equally shockingly obvious facts at the top of his lungs. People starting getting pissed and would yell at him- but for some reason it just wouldn't sink in for this guy. It was like he was completely oblivious. Or drunk. Yeah, it was that one. Not only that, this guy doesn't look a day over 18, is grotesquely overweight and wearing a huge tarp of a red shirt. It didn't take us long to start calling him Kool-Aid man. Anyway Kool-Aid eventually became uninterested in waiting in line, and after a few hours got up and left without saying a whole lot (other than begging for alcohol from us, who didn't have any).

At that point we realized trying to sleep was a futile effort, and tried to find ways to amuse ourselves. Bordem. More bordem. Fast forward to 6:15am- we finally get our tickets that guarantee us a system. Fast forward again to 8am, when we actually get to enter the store and get them. Nothing could be more rewarding than walking out with the console after all of that hardship. I rush home, start unpacking my car, and realize I can't find my laptop bag with [my laptop and] my PSP. I go into a spiraled panic- someone must have stolen it while I was asleep, but I swore I remembered putting it into my car before that. But had I locked the doors? I couldn't remember.

After a good 15-20 minutes of total panic and dismay I remember that my wife had stopped by and taken them off my hands the night before. I had been so overtired I had completely forgotten, as had my friends I called during the panic to see if they had seen anyone messing with my car. They were sitting in my damn office waiting for me, I just hadn't noticed. What a roller coaster, right? At this point I'm exhausted and stressed/relieved, so I promptly passed out in my bed. Hell, I already had a unit, what was the rush now?

I wake up after about two hours (1pm) and immediately unpack the system. Damn it is sexy. I get everything up and running in no time, and the system works without a hitch. That is, until I get the main setup done. Something just doesn't seem right about the main menu icons; they're slightly distorted. Well, my TV kind of sucks so I figure there's a good chance it's the problem. I get the baby online so I can play with the basic features before popping in a game- and run an update.

The system ran two updates, after which it rebooted itself after a friendly warning. Wait, now there are weird dots everywhere, and the textures look even worse. I start adjusting cords checking for a bad connection, but everything seems solid. In fact, I hadn't touched them since they were working previously. My experimentation quickly leads to increased panic as I realize it isn't the connection; my Wii is broken. Obviously something was wrong before the update, the update just made it worse. So I try to back out my updates by "formatting" the system.

"Format", what a joke. Of course I should have guessed it wouldn't get rid of updates, since Nintendo will likely use the update system to squash pirating as holes are found. Thinking like an engineer I consider ripping it open and resetting it manually, but I quickly realize it might not have an internal backup of the original version, and I could easy brick the system and void the warranty. Well ****- is this a known problem... is Nintendo working on it? Can it be fixed in software? And that's how I found this forum.

Of course it seemed I was the only one with that particular problem. Every one of my friends had a working system, both before and after me in line. No complaints, no issues- except for mine. Well I'm irate now, and I want to see what Nintendo can do to resolve the issue for me. First I try the support website- it was down. Second the 800 number... busy. Thankfully it took me an hour before I could get through on the phone, so I had some time to calm down. I understand that this kind of thing happens all of the time at launch, but why me? Of everyone standing in line at my Target- I get the one broken unit with an unknown problem, after 20 hours in the cold?

After getting through I spend about 20 minutes on hold before getting through to a human being. Thankfully Nintendo are gods and know how to treat their customers. The agent was very helpful and very understanding of the problem, offering a variety of solutions that could get me a new Wii or a repair of the existing unit before Thanksgiving. I ended up having them send me a new unit, which I should get by Wednesday, after which I will mail the broken unit back to them.

Right now I find myself completely cathartic, drained of both motivation to play and anger. Was camping out for it worth all of the cold, stress, idiocy, depression, anger, and cost? Hopefully my new Wii will answer that question- and I will be sure to keep you all posted. As for right now, nothing would make me happier than a few drinks and a long long rest before going back to work tomorrow morning.

I sincerely hope you all had better experiences than I did.

I feel awful for you. But... i am also glad to hear Nintendo was responsible and said We will ship u a new one and u will get it within a few days. Thats makes me say Ok, now i know nintendo will back every 1 up....... I do have a question for any 1.... Do the updates happen when u connect to the internet? I might not be able to hook it up to the internt ASAP, would that be a problem?

Damn man, i can only imagine how that would feel. But at least Nintendo is sending you the new system first, unlike Microsoft where you sent it first and then you'd get a new one after more wait...and even sony who's warranty is basically *return it*

Hope the new one gets to you asap.

If you set up your network information it prompts you to update, after which you can choose to or not. If you choose update manually it will ask you to enter your network information (if you haven't), and then update. I had both occur since I formatted multiple times.

I found the update download and install process to be pretty quick and painless, other than the fact that it completely destroyed my system D:

Haha, That took a while to read and longer to write! :p
Im sorry to hear.. i guess it brought some excitment to you atleast. I've been bored :p

My friend had no problem camping out at walmart last night, i would have been there as well but i couldn't get a drive...

I don't have my wii yet because of money issues... Well, I hope your new wii works out!

Wow that's some really bad luck, great to hear Nintendo are sending you one straight out rather than just an RMA sticker.

Dude, I am completely sympathetic to your situation. At my launch a bunch of jackass thought it would be fun to bring a hookah, and smoke out our little camp. Then some assholes came by and egged us. And on top of that I was the person out of all my friends who got the ****ing defective system to. Hopefully the replacements get out before Thanksgiving.

I feel so sorry for you :nonod:. I wish some people weren't so stupid. But Nintendo treats you like someone who has actually done something for them (buying a system) instead of like Microsofta and Sony who don't care after you have paid for the system. (Actually, that doesn't make much sense considering the 360 and PS3 are being made at a loss!:eek:ut:)

Sorry, man.
And that was the LONGEST post on WiiChat I have seen so that must've took over a minute:wink:
KOOL-AID MAN! :lol:

MEAMYOU said:
Dude, I am completely sympathetic to your situation. At my launch a bunch of jackass thought it would be fun to bring a hookah, and smoke out our little camp. Then some assholes came by and egged us. And on top of that I was the person out of all my friends who got the ****ing defective system to. Hopefully the replacements get out before Thanksgiving.

I had heard about the eggings; fortunately for us, it could have been a lot worse. For the PS3 launch there were drive-by BB gun attacks in our area. Of course that was in addition to the slew of injuries caused by Walmart setting out chairs and yelling "GO" to a crowd of people...

Update

Update:

I decided to wait until this morning (Monday, Nov 20th) before looking into my order status, under the assumption that it would take at least half a day for Nintendo to get my order status up. After getting to work I navigated over to the page the customer rep on the phone told me to use, only to get a 404 Page Not Found error. Navigating through the main Nintendo site I was able to find the correct URL, however.

I entered my return number and zip code, and was presented with my order status. According to the site, I had placed an order for a replacement system, but that it was on backorder. Strange, the customer rep hadn't said anything about a backorder- in fact, he was confident it would ship today. Still things haven't been going my way lately so I decide to call Nintendo and see what's up. Every time I call I get a message saying they are too busy to even *wait* for an operator, but that I can use their automated system.

Navigating through the menus I eventually enter my return number, to which I get the immediate reply that it was not found in their system. I am then given the alternate choice to lookup my order by phone number. This too fails, and I am again asked for my return number, phone number, return number... you get the idea. Several of the menus make reference to a confirmation email that I should have received (which the rep also mentioned), which I hadn't gotten. Was my order so badly back ordered that they hadn't even gotten around to sending me an initial email?

Several times throughout the morning I checked the website. Many times it was down, but most of the time I got the same back order status message. Once, without warning or explanation, the status said it was being "packaged", or something to that effect. A few minutes later, it was back to back order status. Finally around 10:30am I get an automated email from Nintendo... it's a survey asking for feedback on the customer service for my service call the previous day. It has absolutely nothing to do with my order or the confirmation code I was supposed to get. Hmmmm...

Finally around noon I got the confirmation email I was supposed to get the day before. Immediately afterwards I tried the Nintendo hotline again, and this time got through to a regular menu! I happily plugged through the menus, selecting to speak with a rep concerning my repair/replacement status. Right before I'm transferred to a rep I am asked for my return number to "assist them" in helping me. I enter it, and of course it fails as it did before. But I'm in a rep menu now, so I figure if everything fails it will still put me through to an operator.

Nope, the same cycle of asking for my number, failing, phone number, failing, and back to return number occurs again. Not only that, I am never given the option to go back to a previous menu. I hang up and call again, hoping to speak with a general customer rep rather than going through the repair/replace menu. Of course, I am met with the "lines are too busy, call back later" message I was getting earlier in the day. Throughout the day I called a bunch more times, but I never got through again after that one time.

Around 3pm I check the website and find that my order status is "being packaged" again, but this time I have a UPS tracking number! Of course, even if the number is valid it won't be activated until the thing goes on the truck, so I'm not surprised when UPS doesn't find it in their system. Still, I'm making progress, slowly. Finally at 4pm I get an email from Nintendo saying my item has shipped, again giving the same UPS confirmation number. According to UPS it still hasn't actually got on the truck (as of 5pm), but I'm pretty confident it's close.

So- although today was a barrage of confusion and phone system failure, I think my unit will actually ship tonight via 3-day UPS. Given how late it was in the day I won't be surprised if I don't get it until Friday after Thanksgiving, but I should be able to live. I've found that I can still enjoy some of the Wii Sports games despite the messed up textures, so all is not lost until I get my replacement!

Last edited:
i really do feel sorry for everyone who have recieved broken wiis. You wouldnt believe how nervous i am about my wii arriving for (hopefully) the european launch date. whats worst i have to wait until christmas even though i work so i can afford to pay my parents back on the 8th...might have to try it quickly when it comes to see if it works.

I Feel terrible for you!

Well, there's a story behind me and a friend getting our Wiis, so I will tell it!:p So, me, my friend (who's getting a Wii) and another who is tagging along, wake up at 4:30 AM! We leave the second friend's house at 5:15AM, and get lost, trying to go to Best Buy. We found out, that the subway station we were planning to go to, was closed until 9AM. What did we do, not being able to drive? We walked! It was a long walk, our feet were numb, but we made it to Best Buy! The location we were at, had 94 Wiis. We counted where we were in line, and we were right on the bubble, we couldn't tell if we would get one or not. It was worth a try! Many people, who were one of the firsts in the line, passed by, offering to sell their spots. My friend buying a Wii, got anxious and went for it. $50 out of his pocket. We waited in line, and I didn't get one. But, he did, and he felt great. We all still wanted to go home with another Wii, so we hit YorkDale. We passed by the EB Games, and it was locked, Darn! But, people were inside! I knocked, asked about the Wii, they let me in and I got one! Too bad, I didn't realize I could only spend $500 a day on my debt card, I have been saving for so long, I forgot!

So, in total, I got:

Wii
+1 WiiMote
Zelda and
Red Steel

I love it!

Back