Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

My Skyrim Review 8.7 out of 10

Discussion in 'Xbox Consoles' started by skidmarx, Nov 24, 2011.

1. skidmarx

skidmarx semi-pro thumb jockey

Wii Friend Code: 5556-6677-7123-4567
    5556-6677-7123-4567
    Graphics/Sound (Xbox 360) - 8.2

Storyline - 7.5

Gameplay - 9.9

Controlls - 8.0

Character Development and Replay Value - 10.1

Overall - 8.7

The Good: Amazing size of a world to explore, random quests, loot and enemies, and difficulty settings right for any player.

The Great: Deathblow cinematics and more possibilities than you can shake a Jabberwock at.

The Bad: Streamlined level up choices, hours wasted selling loot, a few odd worthless quests.

The worst: Glitches and bugs galore, FATAL LOAD SCREENS!!!!

.... I played Oblivion for a week before Skyrim's release and in comparison it's a natural improvement in graphics and much much more realistic looking characters but the skill leveling has been toned down to avoid duplicate related skills .... I hate to say dumbed down enough to leave a strength attribute absent :s and in it's place a perk system similar to the Fallout series but you save these points until you want to spend them (ex. one-handed damage +20%) I am almost tempted to say Elder Scrolls IV is the better game.

Enemies are far more interesting as they don't act the same way every time (dragons an exception). For that matter any step you make could trigger a tougher foe, an NPC, or a good excuse to hunt deer.

There is no shortage of optional dungeons and you never know how deep a dungeon is. You may have to do a dungeon twice after a NPC triggers an optional quest. I ignored the main quest for the most part trying to build a tough as nails battlemage. 100 hours and no end in sight.

The main disappointment is how many glitches I encountered. I reccommend saving the game every 2-5 minutes for that reason. Lots of cheatable options I won't spoil for you.

If this loses Game Of The Year I will be shocked. Besthesda are argueably the master designers of the open world RPG.

#1 skidmarx, Nov 24, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  2. WiiAssasin

WiiAssasin The ride never ends

Wii Friend Code: 7912-1706-4691-2520
    7912-1706-4691-2520
    Where's your Skyword Sword review?

3. skidmarx

5556-6677-7123-4567
    NOOOOOOOO Time for Link he has to wait for next year! This game will turn you into a good for nothing weight gaining thumb jockey :yesnod:

4. WiiAssasin

7912-1706-4691-2520
    I prefer quality over quantity.

5. protogirl

protogirl WiiChat Member

Hum, but Skyrim IS quality too... a lot of quality :)

Me and my bf have been playing Skyrim for a little while now, the world is so huge we've only been exploring and haven't started any of the bigger quests yet lol...

The world is so big and you get to do virtually anything you want.

6. bxym

bxym Sir Bxym

Wii Friend Code: 1234-1234-1234-1234
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    To me Skyrim is a 8.5-10

7. WiiAssasin

7912-1706-4691-2520
    With all the bugs, I doubt it is as refined in quality as it should be.

8. hybrid -x1

hybrid -x1 ~graceful assassin~

Wii Friend Code: 1000-2000-3000-4000
    1000-2000-3000-4000
    Skyrim is a piece of **** of a game /Fact Bugs up the ass more so than a COD Wii game.

If I want to explore a "huge world" than I'd go play or anyone for that matter a good QUALITY game like Red Dead Redemption
    or the almighty Monster Hunter which those two games enable you to do "Virtually anything you want" +more.

EDIT: For anyone who gives two shits. I've been MIA over two things..Work && Been playing Pandora's Tower (PAL) xD!

#8 hybrid -x1, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  9. skidmarx

5556-6677-7123-4567
    WROTE THIS BEFORE getting ****ed over by the backwards flying dragon and repatching. this the WORST game for patches otherwise I stand by 8.7, the glitches left on 1.2 are tolerable to me.

#9 skidmarx, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  10. Splash_King

Splash_King The Scrubbiest of Hunters

Wii Friend Code: 0129-0129-0129-0129
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    Accounting all the glitches (many serious ones as well), and how the content of the game is definitely geared towards quantity or quality, I can't say Skyrim would get an 8 from me. Patching is not an excuse to stand by instead of viciously through playtesting.

Though, it certainly is an enjoyable time waster like no other, so long as said glitches don't completely grind your gears.

[​IMG]

11. Ten10Ten

Ten10Ten WiiChat Member

I've had some awful glitches; especially with quest lines failing - but I've never stopped loving it! There's so much content and most, if not all is amazing! Along with the Dawnguard DLC, it's just such a great game!! I love it :)

12. Mush

Mush WiiChat Member

Found the character dev very amusing. For example, when you have 100 on pickpoket, you can actually steal armour from people while they are wearing it! (with the perk, of course)
    -And if you steal armour from town guards, they will then walk around in their undies from then on!!! _Funny

Of course, it did take me ages to get pickpoket skill to 100, but as I had completed all the quests in the game, I had time to waste in such minor stuff.

Oh, and I also have destruction, one handed, and heavy armour on level 100.
    As a result, there is nothing on skyrim that can kill me.

Bads: many shouts are totally useless.

13. Splash_King

0129-0129-0129-0129
    T'is somethin' I also had issue with. In the face of Ice Form, every shout is literally useless. Marked for Death is a broken boss-killer too. Even when those two ain't a factor, the best shout is JUST the first word of Unrelenting Force simply 'cause it can murder an enemy/enemies' damage output when used properly. For a game mechanic so relevant to the plot and protagonist, ya'd think it'd be more balanced.

It's particularly saddening that the Fire and Ice Breath shouts are some'a the worst despite bein' the staple shouts of Dragons... and that their versions of the shout actually do high damage. You'd think the three-word versions would at least do massive damage in exchange for a humongous cooldown, but nope.

Although it's definitely a minor issue in comparison t' why I personally give Skyrim so low of a rating.

14. Mush

Mush WiiChat Member

It might be some character classes might find the weaker shouts usefull. Wizard for example. Or archers.
    Still, I cannot see why anyone would want to focus solely on wizardry, when you can do both, with magic spell on left hand and an axe on right hand.

15. WiiAssasin

7912-1706-4691-2520
    Skyrim is a degradation of the series and made loads of mistakes, but it is still better than many games out there. It gets a lucky break for having about 20 years worth of lore and experience since it's part of a series.

Elder Scrolls Online looks even worse. Series seems to be going the way of Final Fantasy... damn.

16. Splash_King

0129-0129-0129-0129
    What's wrong with Online?

The broken ol' Impact perk. Destruction magic dual-casted with both hands, except the lowest level ones like Sparks or Frostbite, will cause all enemies to flinch on impact as though they were hit with a weapon's power attack. With a large Magicka reserve it's possible to literally flinch the highest level bosses and even Dragons to death without them fightin' back lol.

... And aside from breakin' the game, some people just love spell slingin' that much, just as certain people will defend sword 'n board to the death, or exclusively sneak around with daggers and poison only. Me, I couldn't possibly live without my bow, regardless of whether I'm shootin' lightning bolts at range or choppin' heads off up close. In other words, strong personal preferences. I actually don't like dual-wielding a spell and weapon, truth be told. It's what I started off doin'; Flames or Healing in one hand, a sword in the other; but I really didn't care for it and switched to other roles rather quickly.

On my own save file as a dedicated wizard, the only time I whip out any steel for the slashin' is when my Magicka reserves were drained and I had no potions on hand t' restore it... although that was early on, since said wizard now has infinite magicka for Destruction. No need to ever take a breather from spellcasting and fight via blade lol.

#16 Splash_King, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  17. WiiAssasin

7912-1706-4691-2520
    Have you played any mmo's these last several years? All the same dull WoW clones with minor differences. They refuse to change. Most of us hope that the exploration, complexity, and immersion of the Elder Scrolls will give it the boost it needs to stand apart and revitalize the genre. As you probably realize, it's a ludicrous claim. If Skyrim was as streamline lined and barebones as it is, then it won't survive bearing the burden being anything special. Moreso since it has to accommodate the brainless majority that Skyrim attracted. It's utter garbage. Fails as an Elder Scrolls game. As a generic mmo, it's nothing more than a generic mmo.

Oh, and it's being made for consoles. That's always been a great help. Pfft.

18. Splash_King

0129-0129-0129-0129
    never played a mmo loooooooooooooool

But I do know that MMOs these days tend t' be rinse and repeat clickfests, known for not at all bringin' anythin' new to the table. And yet everyone still plays 'em, so I don't see how this is a problem for TeS: Online's chances at success.

Well, that's a valid point.

19. WiiAssasin

7912-1706-4691-2520
    Who said anything about success? The success of the game is as inevitable as FFXIII's, in spite of being crap. Sports games and CoD are also successful.

This inevitable "success" is one of the biggest factors on what is wrong with ES Online.

20. Mush

Mush WiiChat Member

I got your drift. I know a bloke who loves playing this sort of games as a rogue, backstabbig enemies and sneaking through caverns and stuff.
    -Personally I could not do that, because I do not have the patience to sneak through a dungeon, when I can run with a great big sword, shouting a battlecry as I do so! And just think how many dungeons Skyrim contains. As a rogue, clearing them would take years!!!
    BTW, thanks for the magic tip. I had no idea two hand casting was so much better.