My Wii games look worse in HD

Limbo

God Among Rabbids
Nov 20, 2006
Tampa, FL
I haven't posted on this forum in a long time (not that I was ever a huge poster), but I'm getting back into the Wii in anticipation of SSB, but I have one problem that's frustrating me.

My Wii looks terrible on my Samsung HDTV.

Yes, I'm pluggin in the cords right, I have everything set up correctly, but games on my hdtv which is about two years old look terrible. Jagged edges appear in places i didn't think possible, and the graphics are reallllly disappointing.

When I plug the Wii into my much older, normal TV, everything looks fine, and there are fewer jagged edges and everything is just...tidier on the screen.

I need some advice, because I am someone who enjoys quality graphics in their games (kill me now), and I feel like I'm getting cheated out of the best picture I can get.

I have a 480p cable, and I'm considering buying a new HDTV to play Wii on, and need any advice you can dish out.

What type of HDTV should I get? LCD? Plasma?
What brand?
Any other advice?

Anyways, I didn't know whether to put this here or in the Nintendo hardware section, since it's not really a problem with my Wii. Thanks for listening, and I'm glad to be back.

it's not your tv. it's just the crappy wii graphics and 480p is not true hd so you should expect some jaggies there.
i know, everyone is going to flame me and tell me how i have never played on an hdtv before, 480p is hd, and i'm and idiot and then before i come here to check on what people have posted, my post will get deleted.

LiquidD said:
it's not your tv. it's just the crappy wii graphics and 480p is not true hd so you should expect some jaggies there.
i know, everyone is going to flame me and tell me how i have never played on an hdtv before, 480p is hd, and i'm and idiot and then before i come here to check on what people have posted, my post will get deleted.

So you're saying non HD looks better than HD because 480p isn't true hd?

Would it be better than to buy a newer non-hd tv that has component inputs? I read in another thread that component cables improve non hdtvs as well, but the tv has to have inputs for them.

i dont think the wii suports HD, i dont know why it would look worse tho, im not an expert in that, sorry

my wii looks great on our Sony 60''.......I have a projection flat panel.....not a plasma. I also think that makes a big difference

I have a '46 Samsung DLP tv and my Wii games look fine. I don't even run the component cables. I think the size and perhaps the type of tv have a lot to do with it. I have a friend who has a '56 DLP tv and some of his Wii games look terrible; particularly his Mii channel.

bigger is better.....
bamawii said:
my wii looks great on our Sony 60''.......I have a projection flat panel.....not a plasma. I also think that makes a big difference

i really don't agree... i mean, there is a reason for 720p, 1080p and all that junk. it's not like you're going to get the same resolution of a ps3 on 1080p on your wii only because you have a bigger tv.

I didnt read the entire thread, but you did buy/or are using the Wii component cables, right?

I upgraded to a 32" HDTV, and my Wii games looked absolutely terrible until I got the component cables. Then go to your console settings and switch it to HD.....looks great for me now

Bloodfin182 said:
I didnt read the entire thread, but you did buy/or are using the Wii component cables, right?

I upgraded to a 32" HDTV, and my Wii games looked absolutely terrible until I got the component cables. Then go to your console settings and switch it to HD.....looks great for me now
you should have read the entire thing because he said that he had all the connections right.

Large HD televisions magnify the shortcomings of the Wii's limited SD graphics. The digital scaling wrecks havoc on the aliased graphics ("jaggies"), the bigger screen makes them larger, and the sharpness of LCD/plasma makes the artifacts appear crystal clear.

There have been many, many discussion threads about this already.

HD TV outputs 720p, and the wii outputs max 480p!
YOU might have a 1080p which might be amplifying the edges, just pop into the place you bought your tv from and ask reccommendations, some of them really know thier stuff. Whats the model numer of your Samsung?
we're buying a M86BD model, that 1080p too, we'll see how that goes.
If your looking to get a new tv though anyway, check these out, they're WAY outta my budget
http://www.wiichat.com/lounge/49183-check-out-these-new-tvs.html

and here's the best tv overall,

http://www.wiichat.com/lounge/48371-buying-new-tv-best-buys.html

these are UK tested Model's i'm sure they'll be around where you are, this same firm also said that for RELIABILITY Samsung and Sony come out on top just 4% ahead of Panasonic, but Panasonic tv are very good Technology wise, But sony and samsung are closing that gap, so they're about equal!
LOL, I've seriously done lots of research on tv's man, anything you need to know just ask

l8r

actually, it could really be your tv, because i have played my wii on my aunts enoumous HD tv, and it looks perfect

Back