My Wii make funny noises. :|

KsMuffin

WiiChat Member
Apr 18, 2007
Hi, I've had a Wii ever since launch, by now the little system is honestly starting to scare me...

I take GREAT care of my Wii, it hasn't been dropped once, and there's plenty of room for air to circulate for it.

Now, for the passed few weeks, my Wii has been producing the strangest noises I've ever heard.

When a game is running, it sounds as if the fan is struggling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ3wfU2Oilo

There's a video, with the sounds, take note my mic was very close to the Wii.

now, to provide additional info. The noise is only produced when there is a disk inside.

Also, I bought my Wii around launch time, or not too long ago after it.

Last edited:
is it the Wii or the TV?

it sounds like u just need to plug in the audio cable to the TV more tightly

I assure you its not the TV, I had the audio plug-ins out at the time.

I did one with the plug-ins, same sound.

Sounds like there is debree in there, like something is being hit as the disc rotates. Try using an air duster can. But go easy, I do not know how delicate the lense and other internal junk is.

Well, I wouldn't want to do anything inside my Wii.

So, could I call Nintendo and have this sent to them? I really don't know what's wrong, I feel the air comming out...

I would email nintendo about it, its like when you have an earache the Doc tells you not to stick things in your ear.

I dont think nintendo would be overly pleased if you proceded to make home repairs, so email gogogo!

Yeah, ironically. When I start up the Wii without a disk, goto Mii channel do others things, no noise.

Insert disk? The noise happens so its not the fan...

Finally, someone else with the EXACT same problem as me! My Wii makes that sound under the same circumstances--only when there is a disc in the drive. Out of all the discs I've tried, the only one that doesn't do it is Twilight Princess. ALL the other discs produce that sound, eventually. Sometimes, it takes a few minutes before I start hearing it, but it's been happening since about a week after I got mine in September of this year.

If I'm right, you hear it get louder right after the system turns on or you come out of one of the channels, like it starts out slow and within seconds is like your recording. No errors in game, I assume? I'm questioning making the call to Nintendo about it. I sent an email and they asked me to call, but I never did because of the games that are about to come out in the next few weeks.

Of course, I should probably just call and get it over with. I can wait on the games, but that sound it makes just makes me want to crawl out of my skin.

devitek said:
Finally, someone else with the EXACT same problem as me! My Wii makes that sound under the same circumstances--only when there is a disc in the drive. Out of all the discs I've tried, the only one that doesn't do it is Twilight Princess. ALL the other discs produce that sound, eventually. Sometimes, it takes a few minutes before I start hearing it, but it's been happening since about a week after I got mine in September of this year.

If I'm right, you hear it get louder right after the system turns on or you come out of one of the channels, like it starts out slow and within seconds is like your recording. No errors in game, I assume? I'm questioning making the call to Nintendo about it. I sent an email and they asked me to call, but I never did because of the games that are about to come out in the next few weeks.

Of course, I should probably just call and get it over with. I can wait on the games, but that sound it makes just makes me want to crawl out of my skin.

All my discs produce the same sound. When the Wii is booted up the Dis Drive makes a scratchy sound, well to be better put: a sound it shouldn't be making.

When browsing channels with a disc, same sound.

Channels without a disc, no sound. >_<

I emailed, told me to call them.

My Wii does the exact same thing.
I also got my Wii at launch and I've taken great care of it.
Never dropped it or anything, but it just started making that noise, only when a disc is inserted.

I'm just going to send my Wii into Nintendo, 'cause it also seems to have online issues.

When I mentioned using a can of air, I meant through the front slot--not by opening it up.

I have to do this on my Xbox for this very same reason, and it always solves the problem of a noisy drive. But of course I'm not so protective of my xbox since I could easily install a new dvd-rom.

I would recommend using something to keep the slot cover opened (like part of a pen cap) while you blow some air in there from a foot or so away. If your planning on sending it to nintendo if nothing else works, this would be pretty much your only option without being invasive.

unluckylink13 said:
My Wii does the exact same thing.
I also got my Wii at launch and I've taken great care of it.
Never dropped it or anything, but it just started making that noise, only when a disc is inserted.

I'm just going to send my Wii into Nintendo, 'cause it also seems to have online issues.

Sorry to double post, but I just wanted to remind you all that technicians are usually not that delicate. In some cases they work on so many consoles, so they work quickly. Would you really want someone dissecting your Wii if there was indeed nothing wrong with it?

On the other hand, if your trying to eventually get yourself a replacement free, then I can understand.

KyleForMe said:
Sorry to double post, but I just wanted to remind you all that technicians are usually not that delicate. In some cases they work on so many consoles, so they work quickly. Would you really want someone dissecting your Wii if there was indeed nothing wrong with it?

On the other hand, if your trying to eventually get yourself a replacement free, then I can understand.

Well, I could fix the noise if I used your solution, but I wouldn't be able to fix the wi-fi. I know it's not my router, as it used to work perfectly before, and it still works for my DS.

After all, it's free to send it in, and they've done wonders on my old consoles, so I'm fine with it :lol:

Thanks for the advice, by the way :thumbsup:

Well I called Nintendo, and told them about the issues. They said I will need to send it in for repairs, no costs involved hurrah.

If the Wii starts to makes a lot of noise when a disk is in you are best off sending it off to Nintendo for repair before the warranty tuns out.

Mine started making a buzzing kind of noise with a disk in. I thought it was just Mario Strikers as first but then disk errors started appearing and eventually no disks would work at all.

Lucky i sent it off when i did as it was still under warranty (only because of the extra 90 days) and should be back just in time for Super Mario Galaxy.

Back