Need all the help I can get please!!!

deadboytim

WiiChat Member
Jan 31, 2009
Hello All,
I just got my tax return and it looks like Im gonna buy a wii. But I have never boought a basically brnad new console before and I need some answers to some stuff before I blow alot of cash on stuff I may not need. So let me give you some basic info before I start asking questions.

First My living room is small so I will always be no more then 5 feet away from my wii. Do I need that sensor bar thing??

Do the wii remotes and nunchucks run on regular batteries or should I buy the charger station that has a rechargable battery? Or can u recharge a wii mote out of the box with the docking station?

Can I play the old school game you download from virtual console with the remote ad the nunchuck or do I need the old school controller or gamecube controller?

Does it have wi-fi? If so how good is the range?

Is there a charge to have your wii online?

Does it hook up to my tv using the red yellow and white Av cables?

And lastly I wanna find a fps game that I can move around with the nunchuk and aim and shoot with the remote, any ideas? And what are some good games to get?

Thanks for your help

welcome to wii-chat

I will answer your questions in order

Well you always need the sensor bar for the wii remote

The wii remote runs on regular batteries or rechargeables you can get the wii remote charge station but you don't necessary need it

you can buy games off of the Wii Shop channel only after you obtained wi-fi

The wii does have wi-fi it is free in some respect you can buy something to connect to your computer to help your wi-fi

To my experience the wi-fi has world-wide range

I don't know what your asking

Some good games i like
Wii fit
Mario kart
Legend of Zelda: Twlight princess
Animal crossing

Hey, welcome to Wiichat! I think I can help answer your questions as well.

First My living room is small so I will always be no more then 5 feet away from my wii. Do I need that sensor bar thing??

Yes, you will need the sensor bar. I'm sure you know, but the Wii Remote can be used like a pointer by pointing it at the sensor bar, causing a cursor to appear on screen. It's like using the Wii Remote as a computer's mouse, but wireless. Without the sensor bar, the Wii Remote can't use it's pointer capabilities, but no matter. A wii comes with a sensor bar straight out of the box! :thumbsup:

Do the wii remotes and nunchucks run on regular batteries or should I buy the charger station that has a rechargable battery? Or can u recharge a wii mote out of the box with the docking station?

The Wii Remote indeed runs off of batteries, it can be either normal or rechargeable. All Wii Remotes use Double A(AA)batteries. The Nunchuck actually plugs into the Wii Remote by a wire though, and feeds off the same batteries in the Wii Remote, so batteries for the Nunchucks are not needed.

About a docking station, you can buy one seperately, but they aren't necesarry in any way. Possibly convenient, but it's entirely your choice.

Can I play the old school game you download from virtual console with the remote ad the nunchuck or do I need the old school controller or gamecube controller?

It depends. The old school games you get off the virtual console range all the way back to the NES up to the N64. Old games like the NES and SNES only need the Wii remote, no nunchuck. But more recent console games like Super Mario 64 that used Analog sticks and a lot more buttons will need either the "Classic" controller(sold seperatly!)or a game cube controller. I just use my gamecube controller for everything. :p

Yes, the Wii has wi-fi. That's how you obtain Virtual Console games, extra features, online gameplay(ofcourse), etc. I can't clarify the exact range, but the range is pretty good. My router is a floor away, as well as quite a few feet across, but it gets 2 bars - unfortunatly my router isn't compatable, I use something else..

To use wi-fi, absolutely not. There is no fee for using wi-fi for the Wii's extra features(like the Nintendo Channel)or a game's online capabilities. Buying things like Virtual Console or Wiiware games do cost a small amount, though.

Yes, the Wii uses standard AV cables(as you stated, red yellow and white). So if that's what you're looking for, you're all ready to go.

And lastly I wanna find a fps game that I can move around with the nunchuk and aim and shoot with the remote, any ideas? And what are some good games to get?

Thanks for your help

I hate to say it, but I'm not a shooter fan and I don't know junk about the Wii's shooters.. Call of Duty: World at War is simply a "gimme" though. I'm sure you'll get better answers than this. :lol:

Thank you very much you both espically ssb have been very helpful. So I dont need that sensor bar they sell seprately then? And u said yur router didn't work? I bought a new router just to be able to us my Nintendo DS, since the DS works on it will the wii?

No, you'll definatly need the sensor bar - otherwise Wii games will pretty much be unplayable. ..Well, the Wii itself would be unplayable really. As I said it comes with the Wii though, so you don't need to worry yourself.

If your router works with your DS, it's almost 100% sure it should work with your Wii. So yes, your router should work with the Wii.

Thank you very much you both espically ssb have been very helpful. So I dont need that sensor bar they sell seprately then? And u said yur router didn't work? I bought a new router just to be able to us my Nintendo DS, since the DS works on it will the wii?

The sensor bar comes with the wii. the wii comes with the sensor bar, a wii mote, and a nunchuck, and wii sports. If you want another controller and nunchuck, you need to buy them.

If you have wireless internet, your wii will connect to it. If you do not have wireless, you need to buy a component to connect your wii to your modem.

As far as games...i like first person shooters as well. an awesome game, conduit, is coming out this summer which looks awesome.

right now, my first person shooter is resident evil 4 which sells for like $20. I ordered call of duty and house of the dead which havent come yet.

as far as other good games:

super smash bros - awesome fighting game, kinda like street fighter/mortal kombat type game. pretty fun online mode.

mario strikers - fun soccer game, good online play.

mario kart - this is an awesome game and if you plan to ever have guests/friends over, they will love this game. its a lot of fun online to.

I can answer your last question easily: The best FPS game on the Wii is Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, and it uses the exact control scheme you desire.
Enjoy.

deadboytim said:

Yes you will need the sensor bar but it comes included with the Wii package. Along with that you get everything else needed to set it up (AV cables, Wii Sports game, both controllers, and power supply etc.)

They run on batteries, but you can buy rechargeable batteries or buy the charge packs. Its entirely up to you, I stick with energizer regular batteries and they seem to last me awhile.

GameCube controller or classic controller works well, new controls don't work with the VC games.

Wi-Fi comes right out of the box and the range depends on your connection. It should be fine regardless, I have a USB connector that plugs into my computer and it sends a signal strong enough to connect to my Wii in my bedroom.

Nope, online is entirely free, so feel free to play all the online games you want. Keep in mind to download old games off the virtual console you need to buy a points card.

Yes it does and like I said before those come included.

Metroid Prime 3 is the best in that regard, you could try Red Steel and see if you like it at all. Keep on the lookout for a game called The Conduit, search that on google and you will be impressed.

Enjoy your Wii. :)

Back