Need Connection!

ocdan

Pastafarian
Oct 16, 2006
Oak Creek, Wisconsin
Okay Im off to college dorm life now and will be taking my wii with me. I found out that wireless routers are not allowed and against the contract I have with them and I have a Mac, so the Wifi hub is out of the question, and there are no ethernet adapters available.... are they?

so I will still take my wii, but if I wanna update/buy vc titles, Ill have to bring it back home and do it.

just get a wireless router and turn MAC filtering on and only allow the MAC of your Wii to access it. that way no one will be able to detect the router unless they get on your Wii

Id rather not risk it, Ive worked pretty hard to get here and dont wanna lose my internet over that, seriously when are ethernet adapters coming out, or why wont nintendo make mac friendly dongles?

Ya, i used a wireless router while I was in college even though they made us sign something every year saying we weren't using them (and some other IT rules). It worked fine and they never shut off my connection.

csiguy4u said:
Ya, i used a wireless router while I was in college even though they made us sign something every year saying we weren't using them (and some other IT rules). It worked fine and they never shut off my connection.
did you use a mac filter? I would like to also use my laptop in my room so if I were to use my wii and laptop on mac it could be detectable?

what MAC filtering does is make itself invisable to any device thats not on the trusted list so unless someone comes into your dorm while you are away and searches for the router, it shouldnt be found. however there are ways to still see the router but i doubt they will be willing do go that far. if your still worried, just wait a few more months for the USB-to-ethernet dongle for the Wii

yeah I feel more secure just taking it back home every now and then to update, Im just hoping I dont miss anything good this monday, I move out Sunday

hey well how about this:
Macs have the ability to form a computer-computer network right? well when I realised this I set it up and my wii WAS able to find it but it gave an error code and said it couldnt access the SSID. Do you think there could be a way around this, maybe once I have my laptop receiving internet through a cable I could reverse Airport and send it out as a router?

well doing a bit of wandering in my mac, I found there is a sharing folder that does have an option of sharing the internet to computers with airport, but Ive tried every option and since im riding the wireless wave right now with my mac i dont think it will work, I may have to be plugged in via ethernet the be able to broadcast it out via airport... and the best thing is I can probly do this and I get caught I can just say I used it like this at home and just forgot, I hope.

Last edited:
Why don't they allow you to use wireless routers in your dorm?

If I were you I would just get one anyway, disable SSID broadcasting and lower the antenna power so that the signal only covers your room. Also use WAP encryption and MAC filtering.

PeterB87 said:
Why don't they allow you to use wireless routers in your dorm?

If I were you I would just get one anyway, disable SSID broadcasting and lower the antenna power so that the signal only covers your room. Also use WAP encryption and MAC filtering.
well first I will see if I can pick any access points up then just try to find whos it is and see if they can slip me in on it, if not then I'd just see how many other people in my building/on my floor are accessable then I would whip my router out and try, the more there are the more of a chance I have at getting away with it, if done properly that is.

ocdan said:
hey well how about this:
Macs have the ability to form a computer-computer network right? well when I realised this I set it up and my wii WAS able to find it but it gave an error code and said it couldnt access the SSID. Do you think there could be a way around this, maybe once I have my laptop receiving internet through a cable I could reverse Airport and send it out as a router?

well doing a bit of wandering in my mac, I found there is a sharing folder that does have an option of sharing the internet to computers with airport, but Ive tried every option and since im riding the wireless wave right now with my mac i dont think it will work, I may have to be plugged in via ethernet the be able to broadcast it out via airport... and the best thing is I can probly do this and I get caught I can just say I used it like this at home and just forgot, I hope.
bump

Back