Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Need Connection!

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Chat' started by ocdan, Jan 17, 2007.

1. ocdan

ocdan Pastafarian

Okay Im off to college dorm life now and will be taking my wii with me. I found out that wireless routers are not allowed and against the contract I have with them and I have a Mac, so the Wifi hub is out of the question, and there are no ethernet adapters available.... are they?

so I will still take my wii, but if I wanna update/buy vc titles, Ill have to bring it back home and do it.

2. The_Mitch

The_Mitch UNACCEPTABLE

Wii Friend Code: 2025-2025-2025-2025
    2025-2025-2025-2025
    just get a wireless router and turn MAC filtering on and only allow the MAC of your Wii to access it. that way no one will be able to detect the router unless they get on your Wii

3. ocdan

ocdan Pastafarian

Id rather not risk it, Ive worked pretty hard to get here and dont wanna lose my internet over that, seriously when are ethernet adapters coming out, or why wont nintendo make mac friendly dongles?

4. csiguy4u

csiguy4u WiiMaster

Ya, i used a wireless router while I was in college even though they made us sign something every year saying we weren't using them (and some other IT rules). It worked fine and they never shut off my connection.

5. ocdan

ocdan Pastafarian

did you use a mac filter? I would like to also use my laptop in my room so if I were to use my wii and laptop on mac it could be detectable?

6. The_Mitch

The_Mitch UNACCEPTABLE

Wii Friend Code: 2025-2025-2025-2025
    2025-2025-2025-2025
    what MAC filtering does is make itself invisable to any device thats not on the trusted list so unless someone comes into your dorm while you are away and searches for the router, it shouldnt be found. however there are ways to still see the router but i doubt they will be willing do go that far. if your still worried, just wait a few more months for the USB-to-ethernet dongle for the Wii

7. ocdan

ocdan Pastafarian

yeah I feel more secure just taking it back home every now and then to update, Im just hoping I dont miss anything good this monday, I move out Sunday

8. ocdan

ocdan Pastafarian

hey well how about this:
    Macs have the ability to form a computer-computer network right? well when I realised this I set it up and my wii WAS able to find it but it gave an error code and said it couldnt access the SSID. Do you think there could be a way around this, maybe once I have my laptop receiving internet through a cable I could reverse Airport and send it out as a router?

well doing a bit of wandering in my mac, I found there is a sharing folder that does have an option of sharing the internet to computers with airport, but Ive tried every option and since im riding the wireless wave right now with my mac i dont think it will work, I may have to be plugged in via ethernet the be able to broadcast it out via airport... and the best thing is I can probly do this and I get caught I can just say I used it like this at home and just forgot, I hope.

#8 ocdan, Jan 18, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  9. PeterB87

PeterB87 Lord of the Lol

Why don't they allow you to use wireless routers in your dorm?

If I were you I would just get one anyway, disable SSID broadcasting and lower the antenna power so that the signal only covers your room. Also use WAP encryption and MAC filtering.

10. vi3tmix

vi3tmix WiiChat Member

11. ocdan

ocdan Pastafarian

Like I said, those dont work with macs

12. ocdan

ocdan Pastafarian

well first I will see if I can pick any access points up then just try to find whos it is and see if they can slip me in on it, if not then I'd just see how many other people in my building/on my floor are accessable then I would whip my router out and try, the more there are the more of a chance I have at getting away with it, if done properly that is.

13. vi3tmix

vi3tmix WiiChat Member

Oh, my bad, forgot about that detail =/

14. ocdan

ocdan Pastafarian

bump

15. csayers666

csayers666 WiiChat Member

'Codejunkies' do an ethernet adapter, and it works very well for me.

16. ocdan

ocdan Pastafarian

Ok I have done a little research, and I do beleive I could use my Macbook as a Wireless router, but I will have to have it wired up with ethernet, but hey, Im not gonna buy games and surf the web at the same time..

I will probly test this theory out later tonight and Ill try and post the results if there are any others in my situation....
    wish me luck

17. ocdan

ocdan Pastafarian

HAHA YEESSSSSS.... I just got confirmation from my housing reps and they said a wifi dongle is acceptible for wiis only!!!! I just need to know if the Wifi Max is Mac Compatible

18. Public Disease

Public Disease WiiChat Member

...How would they know if it's connected to your MB anyway?

19. csiguy4u

csiguy4u WiiMaster

Nope, I didn't use any filtering. I just let anybody use it. .. the only people that could use it though were the neighbors on each side (and maybe the person above me) cause the signal wasn't strong enough to go any further, i am guessing due to the thick walls or other interferance.

20. ocdan

ocdan Pastafarian

yeah, WifiMax is NOT compatible with macs. and the computer-computer internet share with a wii doesnt not work... so I guess my best bet would to see if any of my neighbors use wireless routers and I can bum off them, or I could risk it and use my own router... but if I were to have other people jumping on my network, the school would probly notice all the IP's connected to my room and think somethings fishy.