NEED HELP,how to use mod chip

nodnol

WiiChat Member
Nov 29, 2007
just got my wii, and i recently installed a mod chip and i dont know what to do next.. do i need a router or some sort of cable, even then where do i get the games from... lost please help

advice sell it quick...if you use nintendo's update...it will detect the mod chip and potentially end it all for you...

Enigma01 said:
advice sell it quick...if you use nintendo's update...it will detect the mod chip and potentially end it all for you...

Like here - I keep seeing references to a 'mod chip'

What is it?

If it is some hacking thing then I am not interested in getting it but even so I am really curious what all these mod chips for the wii are supposed to do.

The only 'hacking' I am interested in is getting Linux to run on the Wii.
Why ? Be nice to use it for other purposes while not playing games.

Thanks,
Joe

skylinegtr said:
Like here - I keep seeing references to a 'mod chip'

What is it?

If it is some hacking thing then I am not interested in getting it but even so I am really curious what all these mod chips for the wii are supposed to do.

The only 'hacking' I am interested in is getting Linux to run on the Wii.
Why ? Be nice to use it for other purposes while not playing games.

Thanks,
Joe
Its a chip that you solder onto the Wii's DVD drive that allows you to play homebrew, games from other regions, and "backups", AKA pirated games.

are back ups really concidered pirated?

i buy a cd, make a copy of it, and keep the copy in my car so i dont mess up the original.
and if my car gets broken into, i dont have to spend $10-15 per cd. i'm only our a case and a spindle of cd's (out $20 maybe? besides a new window, that's what insurance is for)

to me, what i do is a backup..
stupid legallity, so confusing..

in the us it is illegal.

"unauthorized reproduction of an item.

heymoe99 said:

i buy a cd, make a copy of it, and keep the copy in my car so i dont mess up the original.
and if my car gets broken into, i dont have to spend $10-15 per cd. i'm only our a case and a spindle of cd's (out $20 maybe? besides a new window, that's what insurance is for)

What youre doing isnt illegal because you are allowed to have a copy as a back up for personal use. But when you just download a game off the internet it is piracy.

heymoe99 said:

That is legal, the reason I said "AKA pirated games" is because nobody mods their console so they can play games they legally backed up. Backup is just something you say so you aren't admitting that you are pirating.

Ah, mod-chipping...

The fastest way to a $250 Brick.

Some legal mumbo-jumbo to add to the discussion.

Mod-Chips serve 2 main purposes in consoles (i.e. the Wii)
1. Allowing the playing of Homebrew Software (This is legal in the US and companies may oppose it, but have no legal grounds to do so)
2. Playing burnt copies of ROMs. Two sub-points on this
A. Making archival copies of software you own is LEGAL and cannot be prevented under US Federal Law. Companies that try to sue/prevent archival copying open themselves to lawsuits under the Fair Use statutes in Copyright law. This can even invalidate a copyright.
B. Copying software you have not purchased. This is ILLEGAL, and carries penalties of $10,000 and Five years in Federal Prison in the USA. DON'T DO IT! Seriously, saving $50 on Galaxy is not worth becoming Big Bubba's special friend for half a decade.

TiwazTyrsfist said:
B. Copying software you have not purchased. This is ILLEGAL, and carries penalties of $10,000 and Five years in Federal Prison in the USA. DON'T DO IT! Seriously, saving $50 on Galaxy is not worth becoming Big Bubba's special friend for half a decade.
But its so easy to get away with. The chances of being caught are extremely slim.

well i dont know how the mods on the wii but on the xbox if you mod it and try to go online xbox tracks your sn and bans you from online use im guessing nintendo would do the same thing so i would recomend not going online with the wii just so you did not waste your money

Back