need help with backgrounds

FWELR

Bonds Passes Hank 8/7/07
Feb 17, 2007
California
Wii Online Code
5926-3597-6847-7270
hey, advanced sig makers, i seem to have a major flaw in my design: i can't play with the background of a sig. i feel (even if you don't) that im pretty good with renders and text. my problem is that i have no clue how to add good brush strokes or add other background effects. all i know is clouds. can someone make a tut about how to make a good background and not just say "add a good brush here", like add a lot of details about how to make brushes look different or how to change the backgrounds appearance. rep will be given, of course.

Quick run through...

Try adding some gradient maps to your signature to make both the render and signature blend in more.

First go to layer>layer style>gradient overlay (choose two colours from your render)

once you have done that add the render into the signature then mess around with the gradient maps. Go to image > apply image > image > adjustments > gradient map > choose one of the gradient maps and set them to either lighten, overlay, soft light etc.

Just mess around with that and you should be able to come up with a better background. Or you could always try adding in some stock photos as your background and set them to lighten with a gradient overlay underneath that layer.

Taken from one of my tuts:

Use the brush tool:

Brush-Tool.gif

Then if you want to change the type and setting of the brush go here:

Brush-Tool-2.gif

Then choose some colors for the brush:

Colors-Menu.gif

1. Color Tool
2. Choose the color

Then with the brush tool click in the background to brush it, and there you go :)

Also try downloading some C4Ds from Planetrenders and play around with placing them in your backgrounds. Change the blending mode on the C4Ds.

Here's a link.

3D abstract Renders

Fractal Renders

You need to register to download the full files I believe but it's free. Also try going to their Forum section and looking under the GFX forum at some of the tutorials posted. You can get some good bg ideas from there.

One thing you can also try is duplicating your render and then using blurs and some of the distort filters. then adjust the blending modes on those layers. You can smudge your render around as well using the smudge tool. When doing that play with the brush settings changing the scattering, shape dynamics, etc.

I'm afraid people here worry too much about backgrounds. Not every background has to be flashy to be good, they just have to work for the sig. Take a look at my current for example:
EvilAngel_banner.png

It's not flashy, but it still looks good and works with the character.

If you're having trouble creating good backgrounds from scratch then you might want to try using stock pictures instead of renders. Stocks still have their backgrounds on them so you have something to start with.

Gymdawg said:
I'm afraid people here worry too much about backgrounds. Not every background has to be flashy to be good, they just have to work for the sig. Take a look at my current for example:
EvilAngel_banner.png

It's not flashy, but it still looks good and works with the character.

If you're having trouble creating good backgrounds from scratch then you might want to try using stock pictures instead of renders. Stocks still have their backgrounds on them so you have something to start with.

Exactly. Then create a focal point, that will be what will come out more in the sig.

Take this sig for example:

SOTW-11-2.png

It's a stock (in this case with a render above it, Leon). leon is the focal point, and the other things (zombies, for example) are blurred so that the render can come out more in the sig. And it doesn't need milions of brushes to be a good background. I've only used blood brushes in this one.

Back