Need help with projector

bluescythe

WiiChat Member
May 18, 2006
Would anyone be so kind to show me how to connect my wii to a normal projector and when i mean show i mean tell me every single step and diagrams would be a very big help. I don't know anything about projectors or connecting a wii to a projector so please help me out.

Usually projectors have vga-input, but if your projector has s-video input or coxial (rsa), then wii has these outputs and all you need to have is cables long enough :)

There are 2 ways of doing it, if you have a high-definition projector, I perfer setup 2, you have not said if you are hanging your projector or if you are putting it on a table, if you are putting it on a table, just plug the cable directly from the Wii to the projector, if you are hanging it, you may want to get some RCA extention cables (long RCA cables with a male end on one end and a female end on the other) so you can feed the cables through your walls and celing to the projector.

Setup 1 (SD):

1. Feed any needed cables, if feeding your cables is not required, go to step 3
2. Give the RCA cable you fed a cable color label on both ends (yellow label for a SD composite connection)
3. Use the composite cables out of the box and plug it into your projector or your junction point (the hole in your wall where you fed your cable), if you want your sound to come out of a seprate audio system, send the white and red RCA cables to the audio system, if your audio system supports composite video output, plug the Wii into the audio system and plug the audio system into your projector, if you want your sound to come from the projector, plug the red and white wires into the projector (you will need to feed 2 more cables for the audio if you are hanging your projector, if so, label one red and the other white), make sure everything is plugged in correctly (should be color coded)
4. Turn on your equipment (Wii, audio system, if you have one that is, and your projector) and put the projector to the correct input setting, (composite), and put the audio system on the correct setting, you should see a screen telling you to press the A button, when you press it, you should hear a "click", if not, your audio system is not set up correctly, if everything works correctly, you should be ready to play

Hint: If you use this setup, you will not be able to get 420p ED/HD signals of you have an HD (High Definition) projector, if you want a better picture do setup 2

Setup 2 (ED/HD)
1. See step 1 of setup 1, if not required go to step 3
2. Same as step 2 in setup 1, the only difference is instead of labing one wire as yellow, you will be labling 3 different wires, one red, one green, and one blue, all 3 wires are for video
3. Use a Wii componet cable (not included with Wii console), use the same steps from step 3 on setup 1, but remember that you are using red, green, and blue color code labeled wires specifically for video, don't get the 2 reds confused one is for audio and the other is for video, the cables should look slightly different though, if not, the red wire closest to the white wire is probably your audio wire, just make sure to follow your color code when making all your connections
4. Turn on all your equipment, change to the correct input and settings and you should see and hear the same thing as I said before in step 4 in setup 1, if everything works correctly, you should be ready to play

Hint: for the best video quality, this is the setup you want, if your projector is not ED/HD compatible, you will need to use setup 1

I hope this is easy enough to understand, if not follow the diagram below

guide.jpg

Last edited:
If i remeber my projector has only 2 ports in the back. 1 for the computer and a yellow one. So you are saying that you plug the yellow composite cable into the projector then plug the other 2 audio cables (the red and white ones) from the wii into a audio system. PLease tell me if I am right

bluescythe said:
If i remeber my projector has only 2 ports in the back. 1 for the computer and a yellow one. So you are saying that you plug the yellow composite cable into the projector then plug the other 2 audio cables (the red and white ones) from the wii into a audio system. PLease tell me if I am right
yep, that is correct:D

depending on the projector, it still may be able to take the component input, with the correct adapter. Check the instruction manual, if a component cable is optional, or it states it can accept 480P resolution then you might be able to do it.

Usually you need to buy the adapter from the company that made the projector (in my case, IBM). But I am gonna try an adapter from another company. like this one http://www.hdtvsupply.com/vgamato3xrca.html
It should work with my projector, not sure about yours.

sorry here are some more questions. what is the component input and the component cable dogon. Gamechaser so you are saying that no extra cables are needed and that the only things you need to connect up the wii to the projector is the: wii, the cables that came with the wii and the projecotr itself. Sorry you guys for all the questions, don't know anything about connecting stuff

bluescythe said:
sorry here are some more questions. what is the component input and the component cable dogon. Gamechaser so you are saying that no extra cables are needed and that the only things you need to connect up the wii to the projector is the: wii, the cables that came with the wii and the projecotr itself. Sorry you guys for all the questions, don't know anything about connecting stuff
Yeah, if the cables reach, should be all you need, if not, just look for RCA extention cables, connection wise, the cables in the box will work fine

Sorry you guys for all the questions, don't know anything about connecting stuff
Nonsense, questions are the process of learning, feel free to ask as much as you want

Back