Need help with some homework.......

elopez994

Banned
Jan 27, 2009
Fitchburg MASSSSSSSS(EX)
Wii Online Code
5313-4870-2774-2717
OK, I have some homework, but I don't know how to do it. I wasn't in school the day the teacher showed us how to do it, so I'm stumped.

2-3-09.jpg

I can do the first two sections on the paper, but I don't know how to graph the equations.

Can someone help me?

EDIT: Since there is no other "homework thread", then consider this a homework thread. Come here if you need help with any homework.

Last edited:
Ok i'll help you The equation it gives you can be put onto the graph the +5 and +6 at the end of them are where the line will cross on the y axis (vertical line) the 2x and 1/2x is it's gradient (steepness) for 2x every 1 you go across on the x axis starting from 0,5 you will go up 2 just keep plotting the points and then draw in the line it makes hope this makes sence

Hmm we did have a homework help thread, but it might have gone when the site f***ed up.

Anyway, to graph them two equations, just put x = 0 to find the corresponding y, then put y = 0 to find the corresponding x. Then you'll have two points, one on each axis. Plot them, join them up and extend them to the edge of the graph. Boom.

Either that or just do x = 0, then x = 1, to get your two points. But basically find two points and join them up.

Ok, I think it's starting to make sense.

Ok, for the first one, it would go : (0,5), (2,7), (4,9)?

Err it's be (0,5), (1,7), (2,9).

You only need two of them to plot the graph, since every other point will lie on the line joining the two points you use.

Err it's be (0,5), (1,7), (2,9).

You only need two of them to plot the graph, since every other point will lie on the line joining the two points you use.
Ohhhhh. Now I got it. For the second one I put (0,6), (-1/2, 5 1/2), (-1, 5),
(-1 1/2, 4 1/2)

Errrm not exactly. Whatever you put for x, then that is the x coordinate for (x,y). So in the second one if you put x=1, you get y = -1/2 * 1 + 6 = 5 1/2. Therefore giving you the coordinate (1, 5 1/2)

So you'd get (0,6), (1, 5 1/2) and (2,5). Since the 5 1/2 could be awkward on that squared paper, just use (0,6) and (2,5).

Last edited:
I don't get how that comes out to be that.

y = -1/2 * 1 + 5 = 5 1/2? How?

-1/2 * 1 = -1/2

-1/2
+ 5
-------
4 1/2

So would the answer actually be (1, 4 1/2)?

Sorry I meant + 6, not 5. My bad. I'll edit it.

Back