Need info on what components I need to have

wii gran

WiiChat Member
Dec 5, 2007
Please help a grandmother out! I bought a wii bundle for my daughter's family and need to know if I have all the necessary components. This is a Christmas gift so I don't want to ask my daughter or her husband, and I have been reading a bit about the wii but things are a lot more complex than when I bought my kids a Nintendo way back in the 80s. I have three grandchildren and want to make sure they will all be able to play on Christmas day. I fear a big disappointment - "Grandma didn't know you each need a controller, we can get one tomorrow" so I'd like to find out what else I may need.

The bundle includes several games, the Wii console, one nunchuk controller and is supposed to have one remote controller. I just received an email saying the remote controller is out of stock at the store I ordered from. So, what do I still need to get? Is the remote controller something they need? And do they each need one? Or do they each need the nunchuk controller? I am so confused by all of this. We have seen the ads with people playing tennis and golf, so I assume each person needs their own device, but I don't what that device is. The nunchuk or controller?

Sorry if this seems basic to many of you, I just really want the kids to open this and be able to use it without fighting over remotes. I've paid enough for it that I want it to be "wow!", not tears because I forgot something.

Thank you so much for any help with this.

Gran

Well it depends on the game your playing. the main controller is the remote but it is always good to have the nunchuck. So you may want to find a wii remote. Or else you wont be able to play most games.my suggestion is just go to a local walmart or some store that sells video games and theyll most likely have one.

I'm pretty sure that everything you need to play comes with the Wii. Just look through your local stores and you should be able to find the right things. My local Fye has everything, nunchucks, wiimotes, wii zappers, etc.

No matter what game you have bought, it will always use at least one controller. Sometimes a game will need a nunchuk attachement.

Example: Mario Party 8. That game will let you use up to four remotes, no nunchuks. A game like Mario Strikers Charged will use up to four remotes, with up to four nunchuks.

Strikers Charged

2 Remotes+1 nunchuk=1 player can play because each remote requires a nunchuk to play.
2 Remotes+2 nunchuks=2 players can play
2 Remotes+3 nunchuks=2 players can play because a nunchuk cannot be used alone. It is an attachement for the remote.

Good luck and Welcome to Wiichat

wii gran said:
Please help a grandmother out! I bought a wii bundle for my daughter's family and need to know if I have all the necessary components. This is a Christmas gift so I don't want to ask my daughter or her husband, and I have been reading a bit about the wii but things are a lot more complex than when I bought my kids a Nintendo way back in the 80s. I have three grandchildren and want to make sure they will all be able to play on Christmas day. I fear a big disappointment - "Grandma didn't know you each need a controller, we can get one tomorrow" so I'd like to find out what else I may need.

The bundle includes several games, the Wii console, one nunchuk controller and is supposed to have one remote controller. I just received an email saying the remote controller is out of stock at the store I ordered from. So, what do I still need to get? Is the remote controller something they need? And do they each need one? Or do they each need the nunchuk controller? I am so confused by all of this. We have seen the ads with people playing tennis and golf, so I assume each person needs their own device, but I don't what that device is. The nunchuk or controller?

Sorry if this seems basic to many of you, I just really want the kids to open this and be able to use it without fighting over remotes. I've paid enough for it that I want it to be "wow!", not tears because I forgot something.

Thank you so much for any help with this.

Gran

I'm pretty sure that everything you need to play comes with the Wii. Just look through your local stores and you should be able to find the right things. My local Fye has everything, nunchucks, wiimotes, wii zappers, etc.

"Gran" said herself that she doesn't know if you need a nunchuk alone or a wii remote alone or both. She said that her shipment did not include a wii remote
I think she was asking what she needed or if she had everything not where to get wii stuff.

depending on how many people your wanting to let play, max will be 4. 4 Controllers(wiimotes) and 4 nunchucks which connect to the wiimote. Not all games require the Nunchuck, but all wii games do REQUIRE at least 1 wiimote to play. just look in the back of the game box at the top right and it will tell you whether you need a nunchuck and or how many players can play and all that good stuff. The easiest place to find your accessories is Walmart, Target, EB Games, Gamestop, Toys R Us. I have 4 wiimotes and 4 nunchucks just incase i have friends over to play. other then that you should be good to go! I hope that helped!

Gran. Shop around and look for 3 Wii Remotes. That will let the grand children play most games, especially the ones that are easy to pick up and play.

Let them buy Nunchucks later, they arent always needed. Theyre optional accessories. And are cheaper than Wii Remotes.

Consider buying 'WiiPlay' and 'Big Brain Academy', as these games come with the Wii Remotes bundled practically free, and give them 2 more games to play...

Hopefully that helps.

Here's what I would do since you have three grand children.

One Wii Remote and nunchuck come in the box the system. At a minimum buy two more remotes and nunchucks. However, I'm assuming the mother and father would want to play too, so I would go ahead and buy three remotes and nunchucks so everyone can play together.

Back