Need Port used by the Wii

jimkwii

WiiChat Member
Jan 23, 2007
I've been trying to get the Wii to connect using my Belkin F5D7230-4 without any success. I contacted Belkin and they recommended that I find out which Port the Wii uses because they said: "In order to use some applications or to play games through the router,the necessary ports has to be opened.
Get the port number from your software vendor."

Anyone have any idea which Port the Wii needs to use to talk to the Internet?

Jim

80 and 443. These are the standard web ports and should already be open on your Belkin. If you can surf the net, the Wii has the ports it needs.

How is your Belkin configured? Are you blocking ports or is the whole unit mostly in the "out of box" configuration? If it's mostly set to the default settings and you haven't configured any kind of port forwarding/blocking then there is no reason your Wii should have problems accessing the various sites it contacts. However, if your Wii is unable to connect to the router at all then you have a connectivity issue right there.

You should be able to verify that the Wii is connected by loading up the administration page for the router and looking at the DHCP clients table. I'm not sure how to do that for your particular router but that's what you're looking for. Make sure an entry exists for each device you have connected to it, each PC + the Wii. It should add up to the same amount. It might even be smart enough to tell you the names of each machine connected. The Wii will most likely show up as 'unknown.' If it doesn't show up there, then the Wii hasn't even connected to your router.

Belkin states that by default all ports are closed, except port 80 for security reasons.

I've tried every other alternative which Nintendo has. I spent something like 3 - 4 hours on the phone with them turning every setting on and off, including adding the IP address of the Wii to the list of addresses I filter and never got the Wii to be able to connect to the Internet. I'll give opening Port 443 a shot next.

If this doesn't work, I'll probably have to figure a way to connect it to the LAN with Cat 5e. My son is anxious. ;)

Unless Belkin is doing something truly bizarre, what belkin is telling is true in one direction only. They're saying that ports coming TO the router from the OUTSIDE are closed. Your computers behind the router, nothing is really closed to them when they are making a connection. It's all pretty technical but the bottom line is if you're computers can browse the web, then there is 0 reason why your Wii couldn't too. If they're blocking other ports, then you wouldn't be able to download files through FTP, use a mail client (other than a web based email system) connect to secure sites, use streaming video files or anything else that uses ports other than 80. The port 80 they're referring to is the management interface for the router.

Back