Need wireless internet connection help!

snrabu

WiiChat Member
Aug 18, 2007
To those who have accessed the internet on the wii via a wireless router, please help me. My dad has a secure router that I have tried to access in the below ways, all to no avail. If anyone could tell me what i'm doing wrong, or what I could do to get on the internet, please do so.

1. Tried to search for an access point, select the router, enter the wep key when prompted, and access from there. Error keeps popping up in the middle of update, cant remember the error code.
2. tried to plug a Nintendo wifi usb connector into the family computer, install the software, and access it with the wii. It would test the connection for about 30 secs, then show an error code like 53140 (i think). Also, the internet on the family computer will not work when the usb connector is plugged in.

it sound like the nintendo wifi connector is not working right i think you should get a wireless router plus the internet cutting is normal because its wireless

repost

I really could use some help, anyone willing to post, do so

With the family computer..... how is it connected to the internet? If it is wirelessly then that is why the USB stick is messing things up. You are confusing it with two wireless connections. (If not then ignore this post)

It may sound like a dumb question but you did enter the WEP key correctly? And, do the other channels that use the net (weather, news, voting) all work correctly?

it took me like an hour to do the first update because my signal is really weak. if you can start the update you are connected. just keep restarting the update

Thanks

Thanks ronjon, i will give it a go

...Nope, can't even get a connection running again: it tested the connection and gave me error code 52031. Anyone with suggenstions, please share. Again, I can't get on my wireless router and my Nintendo Wifi USB connector won't work. Thanks to those who have offered help so far, though.

P. S. sorry captainff didn't see your post earlier. I'm not sure how my computer is connected, but if what you say is true, then it's probably wireless. If you could offer advice, I would be grateful.

Last edited:
Error Code: 52031

1. If your connection was working previously, try power cycling your router and modem by unplugging them both from the wall. Wait a few minutes, and plug the modem back in. Wait a couple of minutes for the modem to initialize, then turn on the router. Try to connect the Wii console online and test for proper response.

(Some routers may lose their connection to the Wii console while it is in Standby or turned off for a period of time. Check with your router manufacturer's website for the latest firmware, as there may be an update that will help prevent this issue from occuring in the future.)

2. Try adjusting the "Channel" your wireless router broadcasts on. We highly recommend setting your wireless router to either channel 1 or 11. This can potentially increase the download speed. For information on accessing your router's settings, click here to select the brand name and model number of your router (if available).

3. Are you using WEP or WPA security on your router?
1. Log into the router using the default IP (consult your router's manual for assistance)
2. If you are using 64-bit encryption, the WEP Key must be a 10-character key consisting of numbers or letters A through F.
3. If you are using 128-bit encryption, the WEP Key must be a 26-character key consisting of numbers or letters A through F.
4. The WEP Key must be a Hexadecimal (0-9, A-F, no other special characters or letters).
5. If your router has multiple slots for a WEP Key, make sure the active key is the one in the #1 slot.
6. If you are using WPA, the Wii console is compatible with the following types:
* WPA - PSK (TKIP)
* WPA - PSK (AES)
* WPA2 - PSK (AES)

4. Try a "Manual Setup" with the Wii console (how to), using your network's IP configuration settings. To access these settings:
1. On your PC, click "Start" and then "Run."
2. Type "CMD" into the field that appears to open a new window.
3. Type "IPCONFIG/ALL" and press "Enter" to display a list of internet settings. Locate the settings asked for by the Wii console during the Manual Setup process and enter them.

If you are still receiving this error code, please click here for assistance.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/sy....y=0&error_code=52031&system=Wii&locale=en_US

thanks, ronjon, for the tech info, but I've already seen it. I tried #1 and it didn't help, and I don't think #2 would help. I'm pretty sure that the problem is that my dad has some weird security setting or something, but that might not be the case.

Also, thanks, hipopot for letting me know that. Now if you could help me with mine, that would help a lot better.

Just a refresher, I can't connect to my wireless router or my usb stick, if anyone can help, I'd be grateful

Last edited:
ronjon's post inspired me to search for tech info, and I've come to the following conclusions:

1. My router is compatible with the wii
2. I get error code 52131 when I enter the exact numbers into the wii thru manual setup
3. I have no idea what the "add 10 to i.p. address" means.
4. Nothing on the error code 52131 peage helps, exept for number 4, which i can't try because my dad won't let be touch the router settings, let alone disable the security.

For those of you who have not a clue where I get all this, look around support.nintendo.com

You might try turning off any security to the router and try to connect that way. If that works, your trouble is in the WEP, WPA or whatever security protection your dad has to deny wireless access to the router.

If the above doesn't work, you got some trouble else where.

I connected my Wii to my wireless router with WPA running and it recognized it immediately as soon as I put my security phase into my Wii.

By the way, I don't know if this have been said or not...

The WI-Fi Usb won't work with Windows Vista. (not yet, at least)

Be sure to have XP.

Back