Need Wiress Cable Modem

FrozenEye

WiiChat Member
Mar 19, 2008
I am looking for a Wireless Cable Modem that is compatible with the WII. I initially had my sights set on a Linksys WCG200 until I found out there were compatibility issues. So I am looking for something similar to that one.

Becuase of the locations of my cable ports in the house, I need a cable modem that will provide a direct connect into my PC and also provide a wireless signal through the house.

Ideally I would like to have this one appliance, rather than get a wireless router and other components.

Please help. I have used the search, but since I am brand new at this, I was getting overwhelmed rather quickly. My neighborhood finally got cable high speed and I am about to have it installed and get the WII shortly.

Thank you for your time.

Okay, here is what I have found so far. If anyone is doing something similar or using these applicances, let me know how they work please.

Linksys DCM-202 Cable Modem connected to a Linksys D-Link DIR-655

Essentially, my PC would direct connect to the D-Link Dir-655 and the Wii would grab the wireless signal from that.

Thoughts?

it should be fine
modem >router >wii
not only is that the common set up, but how else would you do it?
goodluck

I would definitely go the route of separate cable modem and wireless router. By looking for an "all in one" you're limiting your options and making troubleshooting more-difficult.

Plus that way you're free to get a better of either later on down the line. Routers improve faster than cable modems. A lot easier to just swap out the router.

I agree that you should get separate components (cable modem and wireless router). But the Motorola SBG900 is an all-in-one unit, just FYI. The only limitation I'm aware of is it only supports WPA1, not WPA2. So it's a bit behind the times. That's why a separate wireless router is the better way to go.

Yes, go for WPA2. WPA2 > WPA > WEP > turd.

WPA2 means all the longer before people are freeloading off your internet connection.

Kryten said:
You've got the last two reversed. :)
You are correct. Covering your network with poop is more-likely to keep people out than using WEP encryption.

My bad.

No particular love for D-Link. They are ok but nothing special. They don't suck, they're just... meh.

Do you really need 802.11n though? It won't make your internet any faster. Unless you're transmitting a lot of local LAN data between other computers/devices on your own network in your own house, even 802.11b can keep up with almost everyone's internet connection speed.

Yeah, I see your point. I typically get more than I normally need in general, no matter what the subject matter. I just want to be certain I get something that will work and won't cause any problems (just like everyone else).

Since you don't like DLink, what is your preference?

If you're aiming to avoid problems, you're better-off going with a technology that has had time to mature, stabilize, and have its bugs worked out (802.11g) than a bleeding-edge one fresh off the assembly line (802.11n). Plus you'll save some cash that you can put towards a Wii game.

Early-adopters tend to have a rough time.

Do you have any suggestions for 802.11g routers for Wii, then?

Thanks for all your help

Linksys WRT54G is the standby. You can get it for $43 and free shipping from NewEgg. Buffalo Technology is a lesser-known company but in my mind makes excellent networking products. USA tech support. Unfortunately there's a stupid lawsuit going on that is forcing them to temporarily not be able to sell networking products in the USA. I expect this to blow over before too long.

Back