NETGEAR terror

hotwaterbrogden

Master Commander
Dec 26, 2006
NJ & MA
Wii Online Code
1389-6918-7920-6415
i have a NETGEAR CG814WG in my apartment and i want to connect it with my Wii. My wii currently accesses the internet through someone elses unsecured connection but i just want to be able to use mine. I tried to put it on mine and it wont get through the connection test. i read on another forum that that specific router just will not work with the Wii. is this true or is there something i can do. if so, can anyone give me a walkthrough?

Get the Netgear MIMO it's made specifically for online games. It's perfect for the Wii. Is it a new Netgear? The old one aren't the best....

yeah i guess its an older one im not sure, it came with my comcast service. im not gonna buy another router when my last resort is just stealing an unsecured connnection.

update the firmware on it and don't attempt to use a passphrase if you are using WEP/WPA

There is no technical reason the Wii shouldn't work with a specific model of router, as long as the router supports 802.11b or 802.11g.

All router manufacturers are supposed to follow the 802.11b/g standards when building their products, so compatibility should not be an issue.

However, this is the real world and companies do make mistakes or cheap out on some stuff, so it is possible to find certain combinations that just don't play well together.

I'd make sure your wireless connection doesn't have any security/encryption on it first, get it working in unsecured mode, then start adding security.
If available, use WPA (might be listed as WPA-TKIP) once you do setup encryption. Much more secure then WEP and easier to setup too.

Back