New Dead Space Wii Details(Disappointing)

Caliko

I am Casual
Jan 17, 2008
Wii Online Code
2064-8110-4406-4869
Well Here's a trailer:

http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14320036/dead-space/videos/deadspace_wiitrailer_021709.html

Let me get to the good. It has great graphics, sound, and game developers behind it.

The bad?? Well let's just say I might just skip this game all together I'm tired of developers being scared and "testing" the waters on Wii. I'm not gonna support this here's the interview so you too can understand my disappointment:

IGN: First of all, who's developing Dead Space Extraction, how big is the team and how long has it been in development?

Steve Papoutsis: Extraction is being created, designed and produced by the core Dead Space team at EA Redwood Shores Studio with development assistance from a Triple-A Wii team at Eurocom.

IGN: Is this a port of the Xbox 360 / PS3 versions? Exactly what's new?

Steve: Dead Space Extraction is an all-new original game set in the Dead Space universe designed specifically for the Wii. The game features an all-new story that details the events that occur prior to Isaac Clarke's arrival on the USG Ishimura. Extraction will also feature all-new characters, new enemies, new bosses, new weapons, and new never before seen environments.

And that's not all, as I'm super excited about our all-new co-op mode, so now you can blast apart sacks and dismember necromorphs with a friend.

IGN: Dead Space for 360 is a third-person action game. This is not true of the Wii version. The title shares more in common with Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, right? Please explain how gameplay works.

Steve: Our gameplay takes advantage of a guided and cinematic camera which allows us to frame the action on screen and deliver fantastic and gripping action sequences packed with loads of scares. We plan to evolve the game by focusing on a frenetic first-person perspective that we believe will enhance the tension and horror the player experiences as they play the game. The unique gameplay and first-person perspective allows us to combine a high action horror movie experience within an interactive environment.

Dead Space Extraction also retains the core gameplay mechanics from Dead Space, like strategic dismemberment, weapon upgrades, stasis, telekinesis, alternate-fire modes, and more. But, we are added a lot more on top that like I previously mentioned with the addition of co-op play, for example. IGN: What prompted the decision to transform the Dead Space experience into an on-rails shooter for Wii?

Steve: Extraction is not your typical Rail Shooter. Our goal is to innovate and push the genre forward like Dead Space did for third-person action survival horror.

When we started designing the game we had a ton of important elements from Dead Space that we needed to retain:

1. Exciting and rewarding gameplay
2. A horrific experience set in visually stunning environments
3. Incredible mood and sound
4. A mature and thought provoking story
5. Unique, terrifying, and satisfying enemies, weapons and bosses

Creating an intimate horror experience is a central tenet for Extraction and moving to a first person perspective felt like a great fit for the Wii allowing us the ability to create the most intense experience possible on this platform.

IGN: Please explain the control mechanics.

Steve: Aiming your shots to dismember approaching enemies with a Wii remote feels fun and natural. The gameplay has a great deal of depth to it. We have retained our core shooting, telekinesis, dismemberment, and stasis mechanics. In addition to these staples from Dead Space we have a few other new tricks up our sleeves.

IGN: What are you doing with Dead Space Wii that hasn't been done before?

Steve: Our intention is to deliver a frenetic first-person experience that hardcore Wii gamers and veteran Dead Space players can all enjoy. We plan to deliver the same production values, pacing and immersive feeling that has become a trademark of the Dead Space team to the Wii for the first time.

I don't want to give too much away but just a few of the new things players will experience in Extraction include an all-new Heroine, the Arc Welder tool, and an all-new Flying enemy. There are tons of other new things, and hopefully we can talk about those in a future interview or after you play the game in co-op with me.

IGN: Dead Space for 360 / PS3 is a breathtakingly moody game. What have you done to ensure that the franchise looks and sounds as good as it possibly can on Nintendo's console?

Steve: We have the same people from Dead Space directing and designing the game. As I mentioned previously Mood and Sound were two of the many areas from Dead Space we hope to deliver on in Dead Space Extraction. We are confident we are pushing the Wii hardware harder than anyone has done to date.

IGN: Sounds good. Finally, how violent will Dead Space for Wii be? How scary?

Steve: It would not be a Dead Space game if we did not deliver on the violence, horror, terror, and action from the original game. I worked as the producer in charge of all things Horror on Dead Space, and with that being said I'm highly motivated to continue to improve on what we achieved in the original game.

There was a ton of very over the top ideas we could not get into Dead Space as we were pushing to final the game. We are bringing many of these disturbing and shocking concepts into Extraction and more. Take my word for it the team spends a lot of time trying to push the boundaries of what is acceptable in a mature game.

Source: http://wii.ign.com/articles/954/954895p2.html

dead-space-20090217093831088_640w.jpg

dead-space-20090217095008095_640w.jpg
dead-space-20090217093833291_640w.jpg

This is just another arcade game guys, I can understand the cinematic camera argument but they could have incorporated that during engaging cutscenes. Or better yet here's an original concept: Have mini cutscenes between scares, bosses, weapon upgrades, and have a minicutscene once about every 10 minutes of the game so the gameplay feels like a half game half movie experience, THERE'S AN ORIGINAL CONCEPT!! But no, they decided to go the way of House of the Dead and Umbrella Chronicles and claim it's "original". What an excuse....

What you're suggesting reminds me of Doom3. While the game was somewhat linear, I loved the cut scenes introducing new opponents or unusual situations. Even simple things like moving a dead body across the air duct without a reason and a well placed laugh can make the mood.

I might still buy it, but having it on rails takes away some of the immersive feel. You're not really in control of what's happening.

It's a shame for some points:
First EA must build a DIRECT PORT FROM THE ORIGINAL with the same next-gen ENGINE, WE DON'T WANT A PREQUEL!! (If they do a port directly the graphics will looks far better, more sharp, crisp and clear. These graphics looks opaque!!).
Second a THIRD-PERSON shooter as the original and RE4 did!!
Third, they need to know what exactly the Wii Owners WANT!!

The trailer actually looks really good and online co-op is a plus. The problem with on-rail shooters is usually the length and replay value though.

I knew that something had to take a hit when they first announced Dead Space Wii but I thought it would be the graphics. After watching the movie I thought they might go with the same kind of cartoon look, instead they are keeping high quality visuals but sacrificing the gameplay.

If they actually had put more development time into this then they could have produced something with free movement and cinematic moments, like Resident Evil did so many years ago on the PS1. At the moment it just seems like it'll be RE:UC revisited.

It seems really crazy that the only FPS with online co-op is a WiiWare title (Onslaught), surely with a retail title they could up the visuals and keep the gameplay intact rather than cop out and use on-rails gameplay.

I'm not so much pissed at the fact that its an on rails shooter because i enjoy those ,BUT ONLY TO A CERTAIN EXTENT.

I'm pissed for a number of other reasons.
A) Why not go in a direction that is less crowded on Wii where you have the potential to sell better. Because lets face it Wii is becoming a little crowded with on rails shooters
Ghost Squad, RE UC,HoTD 2/3, HoTD OK, Medal of Honor Heroes Arcade Mode, Target Terror, and so on.

Though has like how many 3rd person shooter/adventure let alone horror titles umm lets umm RE4 ,and ummm yeah umm thats it.

Which seems like a better place to set up shop at.

B) I'm all for the Wii getting original titles ,spin offs ,and prequel in the preexisting universe of these franchises as that way if you are Wii60 owner like myself you dont have to battle with yourself whether you want graphics ,or unique gameplay.

The problem is when they do this "original" stuff on Wii it ends up being a completely different experience nothing that is comparative to the original if someone wanted a similar experience on Wii.

I mean come on what the hell is next Bioshock: Chronicles of Atlas the on rails shooter (lord i hope not)

Bring these franchises the Wii developers ,but just because its the Wii doesn't mean we don't deserve a gameplay experience similar to the original title.

that sadly could become a reality Sov. If you figure it Wii has been host to a lot of unwanted shifts in gameplay mechanics in established franchises (not saying all these games are horrible although some are)

Soul Caliber Legends
Castlevania Judgement
RE UC
Rayman Raving Rabbids
now Dead Space Extraction

Before I got rid of Dead Space for the 360, I thought it was mediocre..
Yeah the 'generic 3rd-Person Shooter with no online component' thing
Putting that particular game 'on the rails' makes it even worse honestly..
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles / House of The Dead is as far as I go

However, I may pick it up someday for the online co-op - Now THAT sounds good

Before I got rid of Dead Space for the 360, I thought it was mediocre..
Yeah the 'generic 3rd-Person Shooter with no online component' thing
Putting that particular game 'on the rails' makes it even worse honestly..
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles / House of The Dead is as far as I go

However, I may pick it up someday for the online co-op - Now THAT sounds good
You got it wrong, it's not even a shooter, so if that was what you were expecting... :frown2: do more research on games in the future before buying. It's survival horror.. and survival horror at its best.

Good thing I purchased a PS3 after having just a Wii for two years. I could purchase Dead Space PS3 used when it's down to $20, then pick up Dead Space Wii used for $20 and I would have the best of both worlds and wouldn't be so mad if they sucked because I got them both for $40 total. 3rd party are not going to make AAA titles for the Wii unless it's proven that it could sell on the Wii. Sega is the only one who's got balls to publish AAA hardcore titles. When it's proven that AAA titles can sell well on the Wii after maybe Madworld or Conduit then it'll take the other developers another 2-3 years to develop a serious AAA game.

Last edited:
While I was expecting (and looking forward to) a new third person adventure.

I'm not really disappointed that it's an on-rails shooter. I loved RE:UC and House of the Dead Overkill.

Hopefully it won't become a trend though. I feel the Wii would do well in third person shooters, as Resi Evil 4 has proved, and I don't want my gaming sessions to be hampered with lack of a Wii controller.

I too enjoyed Umbrella Chronicles, but I was hoping for something different from this game. Anyways, it looks better than the Dead Rising game so its doing something right.

A) Why not go in a direction that is less crowded on Wii where you have the potential to sell better. Because lets face it Wii is becoming a little crowded with on rails shooters
Ghost Squad, RE UC,HoTD 2/3, HoTD OK, Medal of Honor Heroes Arcade Mode, Target Terror, and so on.

Though has like how many 3rd person shooter/adventure let alone horror titles umm lets umm RE4 ,and ummm yeah umm thats it.

Which seems like a better place to set up shop at.

This always boggles my mind. Developers want to make money off the Wii yet they don't want to put in any effort into something it lacks. The sad part is, if this title doesn't sell well we may never see a Dead Space third person adventure for the Wii because it "won't sell on Wii because Dead Space on-rails didn't".

That logic to me is just plain stupid. It's like ordering steak at a restaurant and they hand you fried fish and the waitress complains that you didn't leave a tip...

WHAT?!?!?! You all are complaing that we're getting a ground-up Wii exclusive? You would rather have a port becasue it has better graphics? No. Resdient Evil 4 graphics > Dead Rising Wii graphics. You can't just port over graphics from a superior system to a inferior system. It doesn't work that way. It's more complex than that. Exclusive from the ground up is way better.

Plus we get co-op!!

The only disappointment I see is the "guided and cinematic camera" even though they say "Extraction is not your typical Rail Shooter".

Back